all posts post new thread

Kettlebell TGU shoulder issue

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Costas

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello to all,

Recently I have returned to S&S training after reading the revised version. I have stopped training in S&S for sometime after Q&D came out (which is awesome).

I want to stabilize my strength at 32kg for the TGU but I am facing some shoulder issue, even when training at 24kg. I feel like an impingement accompanied with light pain, in the front of the shoulder, especially when the upward movement starts.

Has anyone experienced this?

Should I reduce weight even further for some time or switch back to Q&D which I had no isssue?

Costas

Actually, yes. For years I felt a pinch in the front delt when rasing my left arm.
I then discovered this "pin and pull" self massage technique with a lacrosse ball. This is the particular method that I used:
Pec and Front Deltoid Release for Relaxed Shoulders and Necks - Mobility Mastery

The pain subsided very quickly. And has never come back. Maybe you are lucky and it is the same for you.

Otherwise it is hard to tell and a physio or sports doc will be better able to diagnose what is going on.

Actually, yes. For years I felt a pinch in the front delt when rasing my left arm.
I then discovered this "pin and pull" self massage technique with a lacrosse ball. This is the particular method that I used:
Pec and Front Deltoid Release for Relaxed Shoulders and Necks - Mobility Mastery

The pain subsided very quickly. And has never come back. Maybe you are lucky and it is the same for you.

Otherwise it is hard to tell and a physio or sports doc will be better able to diagnose what is going on.
Did you stop training? or switched programs until it felt better?

I didn't stop training, I was just carefull. I usually did a bunch of mobility work at the beginning of a session and if it went well I did some light TGUs.

For example: Lacrosse ball massage, Dead Bugs, Shoulder Pumps (from ETK), hanging, TGU. When the overhead position was too uncomfortable I substituted TGUs with crawling and/or suitcase carries.

Edit: These days I usually do some lacrosse ball self-massage after my S&S session (or before sleep) and I do a single arm bar per side as part of my cool down. Doing arm bars after my TGUs improves my mobility the day after, thus shortening my warmup... Usually it is prescribed the other way round. I guess it stretches and stabilizes the front of the shoulder and chest + stabilizes the shoulder and adds shoulder extension to the mix.

Edit 2: Maybe power pushups have left you with tight pecs and front delts.

Do you have a history of injury or pain in the shoulder?
Have you had your shoulder checked by a healthcare provider?

Brett

Do you have a history of injury or pain in the shoulder?
Have you had your shoulder checked by a healthcare provider?

Brett
Never had a problem and previously on the Q&D pushups I didn't have an issue.

Maybe I have stressed it with the weight I used for the TGU but I also understand that TGU is shoulder friendly.

Costas

The Get-up "can be" very helpful with shoulders but there are exceptions.
Rest your shoulder and post video of your Get-up when you are feeling better.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom