all posts post new thread

Kettlebell TGU Start from Standing Position instead of lying

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

KevinA

First Post
This is a dumb question probably but is there any reason everyone starts the TGU from the lying position? I've been doing them for years and have always cleaned and pressed the KB and then went to the ground and back up. If you are doing more than one rep you are going to travel this same path anyway.

Just curious if there was some reasoning that I wasn't aware of.

This is a dumb question probably but is there any reason everyone starts the TGU from the lying position? I've been doing them for years and have always cleaned and pressed the KB and then went to the ground and back up. If you are doing more than one rep you are going to travel this same path anyway.

I can TGU twice the weight I can press. I dont know how I would get my TGU weight up there to begin with.

I’ve done them as a complex by starting with 5 swings and 5 snatch’s, then drop down into the TGU from the top after the last snatch.

As noted above most people can TGU quite a bit more weight than they can press. Also starting on the floor allows you to really set your ideal grip on the KB, versus pressing it up might not set your grip quite perfect. Some people (including me) also prefer a little different grip for TGU than I do for military press. That all said, we include them "top down" from time to time in our program, but they are the exception, not the rule.

You could always do the "Simply Sinister" - It uses a down-up TGU.
The Simply Sinister Training Plan | StrongFirst
Video

I haven't heard of one, nor can think of one, but @Tony Gracia's reasoning sounds good.

I can TGU twice the weight I can press. I dont know how I would get my TGU weight up there to begin with.

We get strong at what we practice. I remember years ago I was pretty strong at 32kg get-ups (have only done 36kg once, and never 40kg or more) and someone suggested C&J a heavier weight and do the second half of the get-up as a progression technique. I could not imagine C&J anything heavier than 20kg at the time, nor could I press anything heavier than 20kg. But now, things have changed. I am not sure I can do a 32kg get-up currently, but I can easily C&J it because I've been doing that kind of overhead barbell work.

All the responses make sense to me. I didn't think about not being able to get the KB overhead. Honestly, I was just curious.

Anna, thanks for the video. You are strong.

Steve Maxwell teaches it this way. I'm not sure total weight would be an issue, just use a Jerk or Push press, or Bent Press.

It's easier for someone new to the get-up to learn the lift in phases from the floor, I think.

When I was doing TGUs with a 40kg bell I don't think I was ever able to press it. Could probably push-press or jerk it overhead but I never felt comfortable enough with it to try.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom