all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed TGU work around for knee bursitis

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

RogueMD

Level 2 Valued Member
Hello!
New to your forum but very happy to have found it!

A problem I have dealt with over the years is a knee bursitis (pre-patellar) that has plagued me over the years, coming and going. I believe the first episode was after Jiu Jitsu training, nothing big, just scraping knee on mat. Since then, over the years, occasionally it will flare up and then I cannot kneel for months on that knee... super long healing time for whatever reason. Unfortunately, it doesn’t take much to set it off.
Anyhow, love the TGU , but the kneeling and “windshield wash” move would certainly trigger my knee at some point. Is there a work around with less direct pressure on the kneecap; or should I just do a different exercise? If anyone has been successful working around this, I would love to hear from you!
Thanks in advance.

RogueMD

Hey @RogueMD , welcome to the forum!

I have some knee issues, so I have done my research on it :D

First of all, from my limited experience and reports from others: The first two stages of a GU are the most important ones. When you are able to do a heavy TGU to Tall Sitting, you would also usually be able to do the full thing. Therefore you could just do TGU to Tall Sit or to Windmill and just slow it down a bit to increase time under tension -- or do 2 consecutive reps to Tall Sit (5x2 for S&S). Works well with me so far. If you want to you could add 1-2 sets of Waiter's Walks to cover the standing position. And maybe some Back Lunges from standing, without touching the floor with the knee, just to keep the pattern.

TGU to High Bridge is another option:

Other than that you might want to experiment with other ways of going up, for example with a staggered squat/close lunge position.

Or this: The Squat Style Get Up Primer

Or more like this squatting pattern:

You could also experiment with backwards crawling.

Finally, you could just take the chance and do all of the above and really treat your sessions as practice sessions.

Last edited:
Hey @RogueMD , welcome to the forum!

I have some knee issues, so I have done my research on it :D

First of all, from my limited experience and reports from others: The first two stages of a GU are the most important ones. When you are able to do a heavy TGU to Tall Sitting, you would also usually be able to do the full thing. Therefore you could just do TGU to Tall Sit or to Windmill and just slow it down a bit to increase time under tension -- or do 2 consecutive reps to Tall Sit (5x2 for S&S). Works well with me so far. If you want to you could add 1-2 sets of Waiter's Walks to cover the standing position. And maybe some Back Lunges from standing, without touching the floor with the knee, just to keep the pattern.

TGU to High Bridge is another option:

Other than that you might want to experiment with other ways of going up, for example with a staggered squat/close lunge position.

Or this: The Squat Style Get Up Primer

Or more like this squatting pattern:

You could also experiment with backwards crawling.

Finally, you could just take the chance and do all of the above and really treat your sessions as practice sessions.

Wow, thank you for your (detailed) response! It is nice to know that I can still get much benefit from doing an “incomplete “ TGU.
It’s ridiculous that, though I have the strength and coordination for the movement, if my left knee even thinks about kneeling on it ... icepick to the knee cap!

I will certainly take your advise and try these. Hope your knee pain is managed!
Best,
RogueMD

Hello @RogueMD, I had a similar problem from doing GU on a hardwood floor, a stinging, piercing pain that my knee recoiled from.

After letting it heal for awhile, I then used knee pads and the 'step over' method in place of the wiper move. I'm not sure where exactly but someone can post a vid on the step over method, I actually prefer it and started doing it before it was SF approved. Luckily that happened before I tested SFG.

I'm 61 now and have no problems with it.

Hello @RogueMD, I had a similar problem from doing GU on a hardwood floor, a stinging, piercing pain that my knee recoiled from.

After letting it heal for awhile, I then used knee pads and the 'step over' method in place of the wiper move. I'm not sure where exactly but someone can post a vid on the step over method, I actually prefer it and started doing it before it was SF approved. Luckily that happened before I tested SFG.

I'm 61 now and have no problems with it.
Lol... “piercing pain my knee recoiled from” is EXACTLY right! I was wondering if there was a “step over” technique; that is precisely what I was searching for.
Thanks for your input.
RogueMD

I can back up what others have said here, partial TGUs can be great. I often have students isolate portions of the movement as drills.
This past year I've had a student recovering from a mountain biking injury. He could do anything EXCEPT kneel on one side. TGUs up to a high bridge plus bent presses did a good job of filling the role. His knee is now recovered and his TGU is stronger than before the accident.
Blake

I can back up what others have said here, partial TGUs can be great. I often have students isolate portions of the movement as drills.
This past year I've had a student recovering from a mountain biking injury. He could do anything EXCEPT kneel on one side. TGUs up to a high bridge plus bent presses did a good job of filling the role. His knee is now recovered and his TGU is stronger than before the accident.
Blake
Thanks Blake, good to hear success stories. Interestingly, my left leg (the one with the bursitis) is actually the stronger of the 2 legs, for no apparent reason.
As the previous posts prove as well, partials and work arounds are beneficial. I would like to see the alternative to the windshield wiper move demonstrated, but have not been able to flex enough web search muscle to locate it!
Appreciate your response.
Best,
RogueMD

Thanks Blake, good to hear success stories. Interestingly, my left leg (the one with the bursitis) is actually the stronger of the 2 legs, for no apparent reason.
As the previous posts prove as well, partials and work arounds are beneficial. I would like to see the alternative to the windshield wiper move demonstrated, but have not been able to flex enough web search muscle to locate it!
Appreciate your response.
Best,
RogueMD
Here we go :)

I agree with @Bauer 100%. As well take a look at the tactical get up, slightly different knee position. I do BJJ and have horrible knees so more often than not I will do get ups to a tall sit and that's it. I'll go up in weight if I am doing 1/2 reps. If you can't go up in weight just do a few more each sides. Welcome to the forum.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom