all posts post new thread

Kettlebell TGUs and alternatives

Guys - don't take this the wrong way. I have done my share of TGUs. And I think it is a very useful exercise that can teach us a lot.
However.
Let's say I am outside and there is no place to lay down. Or - let's say my elbow hurts when I push the floor. Or - let's say there is no room to lay down.
Please, don't feed me the "you need to get your form checked" and "find a better place" stuff. Think with me.
How can we get the similar benefits?
Let's say we make the program press focused. Great.
Then - maybe adding loaded carries and windmills?
Or - maybe just loaded carries and heavier goblet squats for the core strength?
I am not denying the TGU - that is a great movement. But - what if there is no option to load it? What can give us similar benefits?
I think the fact that the getup is a single sequence with a lot of benefits is the basis for its appeal. However, there is a lot to be gained from variety, and specialized variety. Just remember, "The goal is to make sure the goal remains the goal." -- not sure who but someone very smart

In any event, you could try any or all of the following: arm bar, bent arm bar, half kneeling bent arm bar, windmill, half kneeling wind mill, bent press, and its variations.

Some of these require a space to lie down. Others just to kneel. Others are done standing. Hopefully this gives you some solutions for the scenarios you described.

I agree. But if it's only the skill that develops, not the body - what are we doing here?

We're improving.

I weigh what I did 20 years ago but I lift more - what else has improved if not my skill? And that _is_ an improvement to my body - and my mind, and the coordination between the two. (I weigh what I did 50 years ago, too ...)

-S-

@Pavel.Kosenkov, what if you consider each movement - getup, windmill, bent press, strict press, etc. - as a martial arts "form," as kata. Is one kata better than another? Can one kata substitute for another? Perhaps a similar question is asking, if one chooses to exercise by dancing, which kind of dancing? Or if one wants to keep up one's musical chops, which instrument is best? Focus on doing whatever you're doing well. Comparison is not necessary. The getup isn't the Holy Grail, it's "just" a very good choice for many people.

JMO, YMMV.

-S-
That's a great analogy Steve

I
My experience was, that leopard crawling had a good carryover. there‘s an article here about the similarities
I searched but cannot find the article, can you list a few more keywords I could search on, or even the author or name of the adticle ?

Your example of a kata, or dancing, is not really applicable.
sorry to take the convo a bit back and maybe off-topic. I disagree here and agree with @Steve Freides. A kata or dance routine is a series of movements that you repeat without variation. You need to be aware of correct posture, stance, momentum, and gravity as you move from one position to the next. Some kata's/dances are slow, some are faster, some are fluid, some are staccato.

swings, tgu, snatch, windmill, bent press: exactly the same. repeated movements without variation. First you have to learn the movement dynamics over manymany repeats (preferably with a good teacher) before you can say: I have mastered this one, then you go ahead and repeat it forever.

Back to topic:
so when I had a challenge with a particular move in a kata, I would find a complementary move/excercise to help me settle-in. I would recommend windmills, bent-press, lunges (all types, overhead, rack, double suitcase,etc) and overhead presses, and snatches if you can't get to the TGU. and never forget a set or 20 of swings :)

I agree. But if it's only the skill that develops, not the body - what are we doing here?
Hearing and understanding strength is a skill was an eyeopener and pleasant surprise for me. But embracing it and really staring to use this new information and perspective to answer my own questions took a long time and I have recently got better at it. When I create an analogy with strength questions that I have in mind with other skill related experiences that I have, this helps me a lot. In this context Kata is a great analogy or playing musical instruments, or learning new languages. Those analogies help me a lot in looking to strength related questions, without that analogies it is very difficult to visualize I guess because I am brainwashed about strength in a wrong way for long years even when I was not interested with building strength or exercise at all.

When I use analogies and try to look in to the strength from a skill perspective, indeed some questions that I have in mind lost their meanings. Which sometimes does not make me happy or comfortable but it is what it is.

Sometimes I ask a question in this forum, but then I recognize that indeed my question does not make much sense. I recognize this if I use an analogy with an other skill.

Thanks a lot everyone.
This was a great input.
I recognise the TGU benefits, and I do mine religiously.
But - everything comes at a cost. For example, when Pavel Macek had an elbow issue, I do not think he was capable to reap all the getup benefits. As far as I remember the interview he gave, he switched to the bent press. And snatches. Notice - he still managed to achieve Sinister - he just used different exercises to train for it.
This is, in a nutshell, what I was wondering about. Because - a day will come, the elbow will hurt, - and then what?

Just embarking on a few months of swings and get ups.
For different reasons: I'm moving into an intense period of sprinting and found a waved approach to swings a nice moderate addition to my week. But the get ups are a problem in terms of space....I do unloaded or light get ups frequently in my living room but if going heavy I'm booted outside to the garden, which is fine but weather dependent. So going to blend in some moderate strength aerobic-like sessions. Just did it today in fact.....one arm clean and press and overhead lunge but the opposite side to the lunge in the get up.....reverse lunge or step forward with unweighted side. Nice opening of anterior and more balance stability required.
Not looking to aggressively progress, just maintenence and a steady challenge. Chuck in a windmill or do a bent press and then lunge is probably more comparable. But for me, I'll still be getting some get ups in anyway. And not familiar with a bent press to be honest...
It was my first session today and haven't swung for a while or pressed.
I did similar before, swings and presses and it was a nice combo. Easy to manipulate to find a suitable dosage.

Back
Top Bottom