all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Thank you, Dan!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Paul Sellers

Level 5 Valued Member
I just bumbled across a clip on Youtube from one of Dan John's DVD's. In it Dan advises his students to grip the ground with their free hand. I tried it and it made quite a difference. For one it keeps your hand in place (I'm prone to waving my freed hand around as I begin the roll). For two it increases tension making, in my experience, an improvement in the lift. Thank you, Dan! I'm off to order the DVD...

Jim,

You are correct. Which is a damn sight more than my post was. Second time today my writing skills have let me down! Yes, my ramble did indeed refer to the TGU. Gripping the ground with the free hand has improved my TGU immensely.

There are other similar cues you might try, e.g., driving your elbow into the ground, and driving the opposite foot into the ground.

-S-

Hi Steve, I've done those particular two since day one but always good to remember and do consciously and deliberately. I've had to drop down from 32kg to 24kg after a three month hiatus and it's been quite instructional. Coming back after a break has forced me to re-evaluate my form on both the swing and the get up, my breathing in particular. Still getting a little lift in the straight leg during the roll though... Any suggestions on how to counter that would be very gratefully received 8o)

Paul, across many disciplines, I've seen surprisingly good progress made when someone takes an unexpected break, and starts again _not_ where they left off but where they were a period of time _before_ they stopped. There's an old song lyric that "love is wonderful the second time around" and I think we might have to say that for training, too. :)

Try driving hard through the heel of the straight leg. Think about making that leg _long_, not pushing it into the ground.

-S-

Steve, I suppose we might call a break "extended recovery"? One thing I did just prior to restarting was to visualise the TGU and imagine moving through the get up with "perfect" form. I think that might have helped in terms of patterning the movement in my head before applying that pattern physically.
And thank you for the tip re the leg - driving through the heel and making the leg long is something I've not come across before. I'll be up at 6am tomorrow to give it a try. I'll report back!

Steve - I tried your "making the leg long" and it didn't work for me. I think I might be crunching on the roll and that's bringing the leg up.

Paul, the hand thing worked for me too. I've tweaked it further by pushing the outer edge of my free hand into the ground and simultaneously pulling with elbow and it packs the shoulder without thinking about doing it. The get up is such an involved movement and at different times I've had to pay more attention at certain positions and almost learn it all again, it seems. In concentrating on that movement I started to neglect the bent leg's role. I've been doing some feldenkrais movements - which I'm really enjoying - and there are a lot of movements that cross over to the get up, the rolling pattern being one of them. As the roll is initiated and as your kb shoulder lifts from the floor, the pelvis begins to roll and there is an invitation for the foot to drive down into the ground to assist. Do it with no weight and see if you can find a connection, or notice that point and be aware when it occurs. I've found that if I do one without the other ie drive the planted foot and don't drive the hand and pull the elbow, or neglect the bent leg drive and focus on the down arm movement, it becomes very ab centric to complete the movement and in turn the straight leg goes moulin rouge and I do a very inelegant can can dance on the floor. As you say, a sort of crunch roll, a brace position. It all goes pear shaped for me when I start pushing the weight, I'm tired or unknowingly fatigued for whatever reason, so when I notice my form fail, I compensate by inefficient use of the abs and the game is up. I end it there if too fatigued or drop the weight back and then re work the pattern in the following days to re-establish the pattern for efficiency with no weight. When those 3 things occur in a seamless instant pattern ....roll, leg drive, hand pressure, elbow pull, shoulder pack...everything that needs to be on is on and the down leg stays down. For me anyway. Hope that may help.

Thanks ali - you've sparked an idea. I've been firing the bent leg as I roll, maybe I should initiate the roll then fire the bent leg?

Steve - I'll post a vid as soon as I'm able - might take a while to set up, smartphone on boxes etc. Last time I did something like this I built a stand from Lego...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom