all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Thanks for "Simple & Sinister"

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

femme forte

Level 4 Valued Member
Sorry for long post. It's my first so I'm providing some background.
ME:

I'm a female who just turned 58 at the beginning of September. I played a little tennis in high school. Active with two athletic multi-sport children. Through practicing for hours with my kids, I have earned how to play baseball, soccer, lacrosse, softball, and basketball (though my son still falls down laughing at any of my attempts to do a layup).

HISTORY:
At 5’2”, I have maintained a weight of 120/125lbs just by eating decently & cardio as well as good genetic luck (being French). Unfortunately, though the weight stayed the same I got fluffy aka skinny fat. Over the years, I dabbled with some weight training and kettlebells but never did anything consistently.

Then a few years ago, I had thyroid malfunction disaster – my weight ballooned up to 135lb – heaviest ever.
While working with doc on medication, I paid even more attention to cardio/diet but I also tried to maintain/gain muscle with weight training.

This did not go well as I attempted the following:
1. I started a full body beginners’ workout 3x a week – 6 weeks in – developed painful , stiff shoulder problems – too aggressive with adding weights for my age – stopped for a while and went back to cardio
2. I again started a different full body beginners’ workout 3x a week – not as aggressive with adding weight but 8 weeks in –shoulder problems flared up –- stopped for a while and went back to cardio
3. I again started a third full body beginners’ workout 3x a week really light weight – 8 weeks in again –shoulder problems AGAIN –- stopped and went back to cardio

Okay so I got the message: after persistent shoulder issue, visits to sports doc, two cortisone shots – weight training by myself was not working. Either I’m not doing weight properly or I’m still being too aggressive with progressions.

So I tried something new. I started going to the adult classes (mostly body weight with some dumbbell/trx work) at a sports performance gym that my son was attending. Workouts were targeted to my specific goals (wanted to be able to do pullups again) and around my weaknesses (shoulders) so easy progressions to work through the problems. Finally found success: not only was I able to do pullups, I started adding lean mass.

But this did not last: after almost a year of training there, the adult classes were changed from targeted, individual workouts to generalist programming for the entire class. I’m sure it was less expensive for the gym – they didn’t have to make individual plans for each of the adults in the classes. The problem for me was that lots of the exercises were aggravating my shoulder(s) again. I had to keep asking for substitutions. Coach was very responsive and adapted the workouts for me but having to ask every time got old.

I stopped the class regretfully and went back to cardio. I managed to keep the weight off but did not progress in gaining lean muscle.

Then a few months ago, yet another thyroid malfunction. Weight ballooned back up. Total frustration AGAIN.

The doc and I are still working on the medication level as ofnow.

I started thinking kettlebells again. I did like doing them. So I went back and re-read ETK which I had bought years ago. But it triggered my memories of not actually like doing the program. Then I found Simple and Sinister. I bought the book. I loved the programming though I was hesitant about TGU’s which I had always found complicated and difficult.

SO WHERE AM I NOW:

I’m just finishing what I called my 12th week of “tentative testing” S&S 4-5x per week. I know it’s not a muscle building workout but I’m starting from such a low baseline that I can feel new muscle in my legs. My core is definitely much better. Arms are just starting to check in. Back and shoulders seem to be gaining muscle also.

I also know I should be transitioning to 1-arm swings but I am still cautious about tampering with my shoulders. I’m sticking with double hand swings for the workouts. Right now, I’m alternating 30lb/35lb’ers for a total of 10 sets. I “own” the 30. I’m doing the TGU’s with 26lbers. That’s not heavy for most of you folks but given that I purposely started off extremely light especially on TGU’s (started with shoe) and have been careful about adding on poundage, I’m comfortable with my progress.

I did make the mistake of adding in a beginner body-weight 3x a week program around week 9. At that point, I was transitioning from the 22lb to 26lb for TGU by working in sets of 26lb along with sets of 22’s. After two weeks of the body-weight training, my left shoulder (always the less stable and strong), could barely do the 26lb KB for the TGU. I nearly dropped the bell. I stopped the body-weight workouts. I rested from everything for three days and started again with plain S&S. I then managed to knock out all five sets of solid TGU’s with 26lber with no problem. So lesson learned, work the plan as written.

FINAL WORD:
1. I love that S&S is a daily program. The habit formation makes it so much easier to keep going. It’s also a no brainer as to what I’m doing that day.
2. I love that it is “practice”. At first, I was trying to do all the swing sets in five minutes. I re-read the book and realized I was missing the point of PRACTICE. So now, I’m focused one rep at a time. I challenge myself to make every rep to be the best. I’m constantly reading, reviewing and watching the video to tweak my form.
3. Doing the Program as I’m doing it has NOT caused flareup of my shoulder issue. Yay.

ONE WHAT THE HECK:
I’ve gained so much in grip strength that I can open jars with no problem.

I have added arm bars as a rehab.
I’ve also extended the cool down with yoga.

I want to especially thank whoever gathered all the pointers in the Sticky Post: Technique: GU, Swing & Goblet Squat. Those pointers were extraordinarily helpful.

So thanks for S&S. With time and patience, hopefully this will be the healthiest route to “Simple” and health.

Welcome also.
S&S can be a real game changer. So good choice.
If you can get to a SFG instructor or course, you should consider it. Technique is so important in strength skills and more so in injury prevention. The old adage...about an ounce of prevention...

Yes, I agree with offwidth!

Femme forte, your post caught my eye as I am a fellow female, 46 yrs old, who is new to the forum and also doing S&S since start of June. I am not new to fitness and kettlebells though, and have been working with them off and on since 2008. I work out at home, and my main modalities over the years have been kettlebells and sandbags and some informal yoga/mobilty/bodyweight work. I have been to an RKC/SFG instructor twice. once in the year or two I first started, and an extended period of 8 months almost 2 years ago now. For that last time I sought hands on instruction, the money and the almost 1 hr drive each way I did 2x monthly was well worth it, especially as trained SFG's are few and far between where I am from in Canada. I learned so many neat tricks that I would have never thought of, like to help me stay tight yet breathing during my getup, and even working on benching which helped me press initially from the floor in the getup more strongly (Paola Rico Garcia, if you are reading this...I am waving to you from Manitoba!!!)

As far as my S&S story, I started it at one time not that long after the book came out, but got "bored"....like quit 6 weeks later and got sidetracked with other things, I am ashamed to say! Long story short, over the years I was burned out on intense kettlebell programs. (If you are familar with Dan John's Park Bench/Bus Bench concepts of working out, I was spending way too much time on the Bus Bench (those balls to the wall type programs out there, rinse, repeat). Since reaching my 40's and also being a shiftworker I notice that my stamina for those types of programs has really suffered and I drove myself into the ground. S&S is a NICE "Park Bench" work out so far that has fit in my life as a shiftworker!

Anyhow to make a long story short, I resolved to keep going with it, and re-evalute at the end of this year. Now, as you said, it feels like habit at this point and heck with the end of the year, as I can already see the benefits. I had just finished spending six months in intensive physiotherapy with a local sports preformance focused physio I found to rehab my left shoulder, I had never ever injured it, but my flexibility in this shoulder has always bothered me with presses and such...they have just felt "weird" to me on that side.

Once I had finished that, I started back with S&S, and like you I had cautions with my shoulders, as I had "been off" kettlebells for a little while. I started back with 8kg and really slowed them down. Now here I am still working on resting well in my 10 sets of 10 one arm swings (16kg) ....backed off a bit this last few weeks, and put my Gymboss away as although my swings were down to 7 min or so, I was starting to rely on seeing that time instead of listening to my body, even though I kept my Gymboss turned over and didn't peek during.....but with my getups my second and third set is now with a 16kg and a joy to say it is comfortable (I have always been able to progress strength faster than endurance).....it CAN be done, so take heart. That is great to see you are using 12kg, keep working at it!

It is so good to see another female on this board. Look up posts/threads by AnnaC...she has achieved much in S&S, and is an inspiration to me! There is also a newbie thread up there somewhere. Take care and lets all cheer each other on!

So great to have you all here! Thanks for sharing your stories. Perseverence works, I can attest. I always tell my son that there are two components to success in anything: 1) knowing what to do, and 2) doing it. With both, you are unstoppable.

Last edited:
FINAL WORD:
1. I love that S&S is a daily program. The habit formation makes it so much easier to keep going. It’s also a no brainer as to what I’m doing that day.
2. I love that it is “practice”. At first, I was trying to do all the swing sets in five minutes. I re-read the book and realized I was missing the point of PRACTICE. So now, I’m focused one rep at a time. I challenge myself to make every rep to be the best. I’m constantly reading, reviewing and watching the video to tweak my form.
3. Doing the Program as I’m doing it has NOT caused flareup of my shoulder issue. Yay.

These are also my favorite things about S&S.

@offwidth @crazycanuck.
I've been checking into getting with a SFG to review my swing, getup and squat. There appear to be at least four in my area. Just gotta figure out the timing and funding.

@crazycanuck
"put my Gymboss away"
That was my problem when I first started. I pushed on the timing to make the time. I stopped rushing myself and focussed on solid reps and using my physical feedback to tell me how long to rest between sets.
"able to progress strength faster than endurance"
I seem to be the opposite. My endurance progresses faster.

Thanks for pointing me toward AnnaC. Will definitely check out her postings.

"Dan John's Park Bench/Bus Bench concepts of working out .. S&S is a NICE "Park Bench" work out so"
Read about John's park bench/bus bench in Josh Hillis' book. I agree that S&S does fit into that park bench mindset.

Congratulations to all on your progress and good luck on your future progress! To femme forte, if you have thyroid issues, you might want to look at some of the writings of Dr. William Davis, MD, the author of Wheat Belly on that point- he's got some forums online that are easy to find.

Thanks, guys! I am glad to have something to give back to this great StrongFirst community.

Hi, welcome! There's a number of us ladies around, yeah, and several of us who are using S&S as a route to injury rehabilitation. I myself am rehabbing two frozen shoulders using S&S and I love it! Hope you enjoy your stay on the forum and get strong again!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom