all posts post new thread

Thanks To All! Started S&S…

Do you think it night be due to asymmetric and rotational stabilization requirements of TGU and One Arm swings?
For the results I saw, I would say probably not very much. That is good for safety, but for improvements in BJJ the main thing was powerful posterior chain work (which I had never done) which is the basis of most escapes in BJJ, and the balance and mobility required to move heavy weights in TGU. Gripping a kettlebell helps with gripping a Gi, so the more grip strength the easier things become. Add in the conditioning affect of daily practice in Zone 2 and 3 with occasional spikes and you have an all around program that’s easy to add to BJJ practice without being too taxing and works all the right things.

I used to do S&S on days off from BJJ, and when I trained both I often did S&S as the warmup for BJJ and I still had no trouble getting through class. That was when I was at 24kg, by the time I was using a 32 kg Covid had hit so S&S was my main dish along with grease the groove pistol and OHPU work from Naked Warrior.

Hey, great to see your progress!
Just one caution... I see that you are aiming to do this daily? Pay close attention to your body, and your need for recovery. I didn't (as we have exchanged in another thread) and I paid a price for it - just in bed a few times for a week, until my thick skull started to put 2+2 together....

Reactions: Ege
Just one caution... I see that you are aiming to do this daily? Pay close attention to your body, and your need for recovery. I didn't (as we have exchanged in another thread) and I paid a price for it - just in bed a few times for a week, until my thick skull started to put 2+2 together....
Thanks Ted! My aim is to do S&S 4-5 times a week, however I am going to listen my body. Thanks for advice.

Would you mind linking that thread? I am trying to do S&S 6x per week, and would like to read as much background as possible on it.

Thanks!

My experience may be quite different than yours. I don't come from a strength background - I used to swim - and 6 days just wore me out.
I'll update a different thread and send u the link. The reference above was to a side conversation in the Dan John thread of the last few days

My experience may be quite different than yours. I don't come from a strength background - I used to swim - and 6 days just wore me out.
I'll update a different thread and send u the link. The reference above was to a side conversation in the Dan John thread of the last few days
I respect and love Dan John quite a lot. Whenever I see him receiving questions about a program whom he did not write, he says “ask to the person who wrote the program”, which is a correct approach. But some of that forum members have quite strong feeling towards S&S. Just to let you know. Which is okay, anybody can think what they want to think and express it. Controversially, some of the “harsh” criticisms about S&S made me think about S&S more seriously in a positive way before I buy it (and after buying the book finding this forum. )

There are S&S threads in this forum which has many criticisms of S&S as well but in that threads at least you can also find the counter arguments. Just saying. I think it is good the see what other school of thoughts think and do from time to time, but I have chosen to stop doing that cause I have a tendency to hope programs or second guess what works for me and look for sth shinier which am trying to quit doing so.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom