all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed The ‘Chopping Board Workout’ // ‘Simple Isometric Strength’ // only isometrics

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
I remember reading stories online about kids reading a book claimed to have been written by Atlas a century ago (or thereabouts) which were purported to teach skinny kids that get sand kicked in their faces how to become big and muscular using "only isometrics" (Atlas developed his physique lifting weights). To me this sounds like the same kind of snake oil that convinces kids in a mcdojo that they can overcome a much larger assailant because they have a black belt in karate and win the gold medal in every points sparring tournament.

I fully acknowledge that I have zero formal education in any of this, except my own personal experiences and what I've read and seen online. So please consider everything I say below to be prefaced with "I believe that..."

Strength is a skill.

Isometrics may have a place in a well rounded program, but as the sole means of training sounds like a recipe for leaving a lot on the table. Too much.

Strength is a skill which cannot be fully expressed without developing proprioceptive response, stabilization against shifting loads, etc. Isometrics won't teach you that.

So do concentrics.

So are concentrics with submaximal loads.

So are concentrics with submaximal reps.

Any number of modalities fit this description.

Idem.

Of course they do, because isometrics are a valid and useful training tool. But none of them train using only isometrics. I think you need actual movement through full ranges of motion, both loaded, and unloaded in your training program.

A deadlift is an isometric movement if you can't get the bar to break the floor, right? A decade ago I once pulled my back and was out of commission as far as training for several weeks upon a failed deadlift attempt where the bar didn't break the floor. So you could say I got injured during an isometric exercise.
I don't own a chopping board factory, honest :p

I guess my broad response would be that it's worked really well for me, which is why I wanted to share some of the details.

And the easiest way for someone else to see if it's good for them is just to try it.

That said, wanted to respond to a few of your points...

1) General point:

For me training has become 'bang for your buck' - what can I do that improves my strength, posture, makes me feel good and doesn't deplete me for the activities I want to do (climbing and skateboarding)... isometrics is the best modality I've found to balance those things in a small amount of time.

Especially feeling good, posture and energy - though I don't doubt that other modalities work better for others.

2) Strength as a skill:

I understand it as a spectrum, like I said.

All ways of training strength have a skill component.

It makes sense to me to either maximise or minimise the skill component in the weight room...

E.g. if I'm training for climbing, very climbing specific drills.

If I'm training general strength - which I hope carries over - then isometrics offer a very low skill to entry with a high force output.

I don't think learning the skill of handling a kettlebell necessarily helps with climbing, for example.

It would be better to learn the skill of climbing on the wall.

That said this is more my ideas and the way I currently think about it - I'm happy to be wrong or shown otherwise.

3) Vs concentric for recovery, safety and feeling good:

I don't doubt that traditional lifting offers same / similar / better benefits for some people.

Personally speaking though nothing has made me feel better than isometrics.

It's harder to accidentally over-extend yourself.

And in terms of feeling good I think there's an immediate 'super stiffness' affect - like when Stuart McGill uses his McGill Big 3 to help with back pain - which leaves my body feeling integrated and solid.

Fair enough if others get this from other modalities.

4) Self-limiting / self-regulating:

I don't agree that concentric necessarily falls into this.

I was thinking of Gray Cook's explanation:

Basically, I don't need to use a lighter kettlebell to have a lighter session, or do less reps, I will just have a lighter session if my energy levels are lower because the force I'm exerting on the suspension trainer straps is lower.

5) Using only isometrics:

One of the people I mentioned - Alex Natera - does say he would use only isometrics with his athletes:

6) Injuring yourself with isometric deadlift:

Yer, as I said, you've got to get your form locked in initially as you're generating a huge amount of force.

The risk of injury isn't binary yes / no, just able to be much reduced with isometrics (I'd argue).

Again, I'm just sharing my experience because it's benefited me a lot.

I think anyone interested should just give it a go and see if it's the same for them.

Cheers.

Assuming the Jerry cans are loaded with water?

So 25 kg each?

I'm curious how you're going to scale that up, as I suspect you'll find you progress quite quickly given the modest weight of the loaded carry and the ergonomic convenience of Jerry cans.
It's kind of a 'better than nothing' approach.

I'm just adding laps...

So, across my flat and back = 1 lap.

I started with 3 rounds of 2 laps...

And am now on 3 rounds of 3 laps.

I'd need to up the weight with a vest or something to keep it strength focused, but I don't want more equipment.

Dan John / Tim Anderson seem to like fairly light / long carries. Although they also like heavy ones too :p

The chopping board seems kind of small in terms of stance width.

I don't have any chopping boards as wide as my shoulders.
Have you seen the thread by @North Coast Miller ? He uses a larger piece of wood that he’s made some holes in for the suspension trainer.

You could probably skip making the holes if you get some wood just over shoulder width - although his set up has added benefits.

I mainly just picked up a chopping board out of ease of use and my shoulders / hips are pretty narrow.

Yer, in the UK we call them chopping boards. I guess in the US it’s cutting board?
Sounds like you’re literally standing on a kitchen implement. I assume a regular board will work?

Inspired by that, I tried some isometric deadlifts using a piece of plywood and gymnastic rings I happened to have. It felt like I wasn’t very “good” at it and like my back was the weak link. Might be worth spending some time on.

Sounds like you’re literally standing on a kitchen implement. I assume a regular board will work?

Inspired by that, I tried some isometric deadlifts using a piece of plywood and gymnastic rings I happened to have. It felt like I wasn’t very “good” at it and like my back was the weak link. Might be worth spending some time on.
A sheet of plywood is ideal, and maybe 1/2" instead of 3/4" to give it some spring resistance, assuming you cannot break the 1/2"!

I found that running my cargo strap between my feet and right tight to the board worked better than running it across, more of a "root pulling" posture.

This allows a very low, hips hiked back sort of posture with max length on hamstrings and glutes. You'll notice a difference in where the tension hits hardest if you slightly lean foreward and backward at about 30% recruitment prior to going all out. It allows for a bit of internal tug of war if you really pull back (up) with the shoulders against the downward press of the hinge - don't let the shoulders sag. Done right you'll feel a burst of heat spread across your upper back and additional tension on the hinge.

And with the addition of any isometrics to a routine, expect it to take a couple weeks before the effort feels "clean".

Last edited:
Thanks @North Coast Miller

How frequently can you do this? Is recovery from isometrics any different?
At first it will be a bit rough to do more than 2 or so per week, this assumes full body overcoming iso.
After a few you'll find it takes less out of you than isotonic training of comprable overall training time. Caveat - if you don't use breathing throughout and use long hold Valsalva instead, you will be chewed up but good and unable to train at a higher frequency.
Mixed with isotonics it will depend on intensity and volume.
You could easily add several holds to a regular program without much stress.

And after all this....we can throw in some rapid drops and rebounds as well.

I know we have mentioned the physical and neurological changes that can come about with the use of ISO'S in different forms....I know Schroeder was a big fan of rebounds in his sessions as well. I have seen great improvements with several clients who suffered with 'signal delay' and inability to 'fire' muscles reflexively. Shoulder drops have been a game changer.

Richard

That's plyometric, though, not isometric.

I kind of see it as the other end of the movement spectrum....which very well may have been the reason that Jay Schroeder used them.

There was some discussion about the use of ISO's alongside some Isotonics....so I went another step.

Though you could make a case that Plyos are about rapidly generating force. Were as rebounds are more about reacting to force ie drop a light weight and react at speed to this. I am not saying it isn't a plyo....I'm just saying it's a little different.

Back
Top Bottom