all posts post new thread

Nutrition The “Hit the Target” Fat Loss Plan

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back to 235ld again.

I'm not too concerned about the rebounds honestly. I have always lost weight REALLY fast and never kept it off.

If this 'limits' me to a few pounds a week and doesn't burn me out until I do all my rebounding at once I'll be okay with it.

Anyone has any idea, how many calories is intended by the author by one point? For example, does 1 point = 10 calories, making the maximum fat intake per day is 30 points or 300 calories?

A tablespoon of oil weights about 14 grams, and that makes about 124 kcal.

51 grams of avocado contain about 100 kcal, of which 87% is fat.

23 grams of walnuts contain about 150 kcal, of which 87% is fat.

So the range is from 300 - 450 kcal, and the fat content is from about 30 grams to about 45 grams.

Nutritional information was taken from the National Food Composition Database in Finland at www.fineli.fi Avocado was presumed to be weighed without peeled and without the stone.

110 "points" of protein minimum for me. Let's say it's all chicken because this is Strongfirst and I like to troll.

220 grams protein 880 kcal assuming we live in a magical science experiment where protein sources don't have fat calories.

40 points of fat max and I have nuts a lot... so... 600 kcal based on the above.

4 apples at 50 kcal a pop... another 200.

1680 kcal not counting the fat in my protein source or the carbs/protein in the nuts.

For a 230lb guy that is. Other bodyweights may vary.

@Antti Right, such foods have been source of calorie leak for me, lots of calories and fat in such small amounts of food!

o the range is from 300 - 450 kcal, and the fat content is from about 30 grams to about 45 grams
You mean, this is what "30 points" of HTT diet mean? How did you get this number? 30 points for you, is 30 grams?

@Richard Bath
You mean a point in HTT diet is half the intended grams? Looks like 110 points, you interpret as 220 grams (which is 880 kcals)....
So 30 points of fat, means 60 grams which is 540 kcals of fat?

Reason I ask this is, I am not fully following the 'point system'. I am following the gram/calorie system still, tracking using myfitnesspal. However I would like to apply its principles, if it makes sense.

The points system on the diet is half your target weight for protein (220 pound aim so 110 points). Fat and fruit is 1/3 the protein score rounded up. So 40 for me.

10 points is 100g of chicken/beef etc etc.

110 points of chicken is 11 'portions' of 100g.

10 points of fat is 15g nuts.

40 points of nuts is 4 portions or 100g.

I mean that the HTT diet is not consistent in fat limitation. The calorie range, depending on the sources, can vary from 300kcal if you only eat 30 points of avocado to 450kcal if you only eat 30 points of walnuts.

I do not know how Mr. Zonin came to these values. There may be something else than pure calories going on, as for example some people claim that they do not process nuts as easily as oil.

I think I get you. 'Points' have no standard calorie value. One choice and another can be very different.

Same with protein. If I ate a much larger percentage of eggs than animal protein my macros would change drastically.

Same with whey. 10 points of whey is far less calories than ten points of beef.

Honestly I'm loving the simplicity of not having to pay too much attention to the little numbers. I guess if you eat 'instinctually' on your jolly days you will up or down regulate whatever you are missing.

If you choose all of the lowest calorie options you would have a jolly day sooner and if you choose the most calorific options it would take a little longer. The same is true of what you ate on the jolly day. If you go nuts then the next one will be awhile away whereas if you more or less stay to the diet but with larger quantities you would get another jolly day far sooner.

I feel like the jolly days make everything else self regulate.

Although on that note I was 0.1 away from my jolly day yesterday and I'm 1.8 pounds up today.

Devastated.

Truly devastated.

Sir, yes sir. I'll drop and crank those out once I'm off the bus.

It is enlightening to see the daily weight variability when the food/water intake is so regular. I have literally not eaten a thing that didn't pass across a set of scales directly off the food list in three weeks. Absolutely clockwork.

But the weight is up and down all over the place. I can see why this would be demoralising to someone with human emotions.

More swings (6x10@40) and bent presses (8x1@40) today. Felt good.

After a few days of going up and down slightly I finally hit my 232.5ld target. Actually (231.4)

I will admit I hit the jolly day pretty hard and weigh 238.8 this morning.

7.6ld increase overnight. Which I'm more proud than upset about I think. Back to the meat, eggs and nuts it is.

There is so much weight gain on a jolly day that one would probably have to go 10 lbs less then their goal to account for that bounce back.

I'm on day 10 of this myself and have have very similar experiences to @Richard Bath; overall I've consistently lost but it is a rollercoaster some days!

Something I've bumped into, that I'd love other opinions on: I will weigh in some days, and qualify for my next Jolly Day (!), only to weigh in the day of the Jolly Day being slightly over. Do I still give myself that break?

As always, any and all feedback is appreciated!

My one modification (due to misreading the plan) is that my jolly day falls the day I hit weight not the next day. I like surprises.

I would agree that to 'really' weigh in at whatever you want to weigh you would have to plan to go lower.

Although that said if you wanted a given weight for the sake of being light, for example a SFL test then you would just plan ahead and not do anything stupid the night before.

If you are losing to look the part then what you weight is just maths to work out food intake. If you look great at one weight then still look great the next day while technically 10ld heavier who cares?

I am back down to 232 after my big rebound in a record 3 days. Hopefully get another jolly by the weekend. That would put me about 2 days 'behind schedule' to hit 20ld loss is 8 weeks.

But then I know my jolly days are ridiculous so I won't claim it's the plans fault.

*Update*
Scratch that. I started at 242 so I'm bang on track for 222 in eight weeks. My aim is 220 though so that will take a few days over.

I've stayed quiet about this for a bit, but I've been doing the HTT Fat Loss Plan for just over a week and it's worked a treat for me.

I started at 155lbs (goal weight of 147lbs), had a Jolly Day (1.5lbs is my 'Target') after two or three days, on which I went pretty mental, as in, Tim Ferriss' slow carb cheat day type of mental, but I lost the gained weight within two or three days. I weighed in this morning at 148.1lbs. I've however skipped two or three due Jolly Days as I have a boxing match tomorrow night so wanted to regulate my weight.

Energy is good, I enjoy the food choices... Well, there's a lot of choice, but my staples are whole eggs, almonds, apples, and then veggies (10 eggs, 2 apples and 44g of almonds fills my daily points allowance). So it's high protein and fat, lower carb, which is typically the macro ratio on which I find I have the fewest cravings; I abandoned Slow Carb simply because the cravings for higher fat foods (nuts) were driving me nuts (see what I did there?).

Finally, I like the fact that the Jolly (cheat) Days are a surprise and not planned ahead of time, such as being once per week. I found with Slow Carb that having one day per week (Friday for me) as a cheat day was not good... It meant that I literally felt like I was living for that day with no limits, to the point where I couldn't really get to sleep on the Thursday night and woke up really early on the Friday morning... It just wasn't the best fit for me (possible eating disorder? I dunno, point is I can manage it well with HTT). Now however, the cheat days are the occasional surprise, which I find suits me well.

Regarding what I do once I hit my goal weight to maintain, I'm not 100% sure yet. Likely I'll keep the same food choices as mentioned but the first thing I'd be likely to change would be upping my intake of nuts and seeing if that causes me to gain weight. Or perhaps I'll have a frequent Jolly Day of every three days or so which in fact would be a very tame Jolly Day, i.e. just eating more of the same. Not important now... Point is that this plan works really well.

I absolutely agree with you there.

Weekly days off give no incentive to stick to the diet the rest of the time. I've done similar things and always looking ahead to a fixed day gets old. You start wanting to move it round the week and split it over an evening and morning. Eating disorder probably isn't far off from the reality of it.

"Refuel when hit a new low point" makes sense to me.

On that note I reached a new low. 230ld and I honestly don't want to go overboard. I had oatmeal with banana and a paleo cupcake thing my wife made and felt that that had been enough carbohydrate for me. I'm wondering if that's a sign of better insulin sensitivity.

I've never felt a sugar rush off bananas and oats before.

@Richard Bath you seem to be having a great time with this plan, and I must admit I admire your ability to stay somewhat 'clean' on Jolly Days... Haha.

Regarding my own situation, I had my boxing match on Thursday (lost unfortunately; didn't box to my ability and just had a bad night), then had a Jolly Day yesterday and went completely nuts if I'm honest. I ate everything bad for me and then some. My weight has gone from 146.4lbs the previous two mornings to 153.2lbs today. Not worried about this at all though, as it's a similar gain to what I had on my first Jolly Day (slightly less in fact).

One thing I might also add about this plan is that compared to how I've looked in the mirror when I've been at a lighter weight in the past, I feel I'm much leaner now, implying that it really is all fat that I'm losing and not muscle. In the past when I've lost weight (such as when I used the Warrior Diet), I just sort of shrank into a skinnier form... I've never had a six pack before even at my leanest, but the way this plan is going, I think I could get there. Hey, who knows, maybe I'll be properly shredded come summer time! :)

Oh wow, upon re-reading that I just realised that 146.4lbs (my weight the previous two mornings) is below my target weight of 147lbs... That means I lost over 8lbs in just over 2 weeks, despite the two cheat days.

Hmm. I'll stick with my current food/point allowances for now and see if I can't knock any more weight off before I consider re-adjusting my points... I'm contemplating going down to 141lbs, but if I can do that without eating significantly less food then that'd be ideal. Will keep you all posted.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom