all posts post new thread

Barbell The 5×5 Method for Advanced Lifters

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

N@gels

First Post
Hi all - Male aged 50, I've been a member for a couple of years , first time posting.

Background is one of thirty years weight training, played a lot of sports competitively and competed in bodybuilding back in the early 90's and most recently in 2013.

My goal for is to get competent enough at benching to compete in a BP meet in late 2018 early 2019. Current bodyweight is 170 lbs at 5 ft 7in. My max at the bench was 122.5 kg at 180 lbs a couple of years ago but that was then and this is now as they say.

I won't be squatting or deadlifting in the conventional sense, I find the trap bar works for me without the lower back / knee politics of wear and tear.

Programming wise the 5x5 sounds like a solid option on a three day week setup using the Brad Gillingham percentage based cycling concept from here StrongFirst and the 5×5 Method

I'm thinking

Day 1 of 5x5 heavy bench + inverted rows
Day 2 of TBDL 5x5 + inverted rows
Day 3 of 5x4 Bench @ 60-80% Heavy Day + some shoulder work

Would certainly appreciate any input from the sage wisdom within these forums.

Thanks

When you mentioned 5x5, I thought you meant StrongLifts 5x5. That is one of several good programs for beginners or someone after a long break.

Hey @N@gel I would suggest you give Plan Strong a shot. If you can afford the $100, you can have a program designed by one of StrongFirst's best and brightest specifically for you using all the great work that Pavel and other have done over the last number a decades. an invaluable service IMHO. I will be getting a plan for my KB Press and BB deadlift in the not too distant future.
Plan Strong™ personally-customized plans NOW AVAILABLE

5X5 is a great option though. out of curiousity, are you planning on follow all three of those days in the same week?

When you mentioned 5x5, I thought you meant StrongLifts 5x5. That is one of several good programs for beginners or someone after a long break.

Hi Carl, that particular program is indeed decent for a particular demographic .

Hey @N@gel I would suggest you give Plan Strong a shot. If you can afford the $100, you can have a program designed by one of StrongFirst's best and brightest specifically for you using all the great work that Pavel and other have done over the last number a decades. an invaluable service IMHO. I will be getting a plan for my KB Press and BB deadlift in the not too distant future.
Plan Strong™ personally-customized plans NOW AVAILABLE

5X5 is a great option though. out of curiousity, are you planning on follow all three of those days in the same week?
Thanks King, that Plan Strong sounds interesting. The plan is to follow the three within one week, i.e. one heavy and one light bench day with a lower body day in between.Will have to see if I recover from these as I go along - that's not something I'll actually know until I get through a few weeks.

that's not something I'll actually know until I get through a few weeks
- This is very true.

My one word of advice/caution would be that its much easier to add volume slowly than it is to take it away.

If you come out of the gates "too fast" it will take you longer to recover than if you start slowly. As tough of a thing as that is to do when we are excited about a new program but we're looking at the long run. Especially if we end up pushing into any kind of injury.

You have time to build your bench up and you might be surprised how quickly it happens with moderation in mind.......sorry about the downer post haha, but if we are anything around here it's honest.

Best of luck to you and keep us posted on your progress.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom