all posts post new thread

Kettlebell The 5 Week, Whole Body Single Kettlebell Program

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hi,

This program must be less popular now but I am trying it out compressed into 3 days format. I finished the first workout in 39 minutes with 105bpm average heart rate.

Goblet squats 3x5 16kg
1 minute rests

Half kneeling presses 3x(5,4,3,2,1) 16kg
TRX rows 3x(5,4,3,2,1)
8 minutes per round. I finished the rounds in about 6 minutes then rested until 8 minutes

Two hand swings 10x7 24kg
Every minute

I only have those two kettlebell weights but it was perfect.

An update. I finished week 1 but switched from half kneeling press to standing press because my knees do not like the workout area for that exercise. Standing makes the press easier and on last round of 5,3,2 reps I used the 24kg for standing press and got all the reps but it felt like I had to push myself too hard. I will not do that again, instead I might upgrade to that press weight if I decide to do the 5 week program again, but for this time around I'll stick with the 16kg for standing press even though it feels a touch light.

An update. I finished week 1 but switched from half kneeling press to standing press because my knees do not like the workout area for that exercise. Standing makes the press easier and on last round of 5,3,2 reps I used the 24kg for standing press and got all the reps but it felt like I had to push myself too hard. I will not do that again, instead I might upgrade to that press weight if I decide to do the 5 week program again, but for this time around I'll stick with the 16kg for standing press even though it feels a touch light.
You can change any program but then it is no longer "the program" and you cannot expect the planned results.
That said, I have run this program before doing sometimes 3,4,5 or 6 days a week, as my other sport activity, recovery and time management allowed. It still works, just takes longer to complete.
I would probably try for 4x weekly rather than 3x.

You can change any program but then it is no longer "the program" and you cannot expect the planned results.
That said, I have run this program before doing sometimes 3,4,5 or 6 days a week, as my other sport activity, recovery and time management allowed. It still works, just takes longer to complete.
I would probably try for 4x weekly rather than 3x.
Yeah, true. I liked the look of the progression but I was less interested in the 6 days per week. It's good to know you still had results when reducing the days. So far, I find it reasonable doing 3 days per week but in saying that, I am not very strong so perhaps the lighter weights make a difference. I completed the 4x(5,4,3,2,1) kettlebell presses and rows yesterday and today I could feel it in my shoulders and upper back, in a good way. If I do the routine again and progress to 24kg presses and pull-ups, then I will do it as written 6 days per week.

Hi, long time lurker here, I'm very attracted by this program but I'm not a 6 days/a week guy, especially with this intensity-volume. It seems I do much more and more consistently with a 4 days/a week organisation in terms of recovery, motivation, etc.
So I know it wouldn't be the program anymore if I do it in a 4 days/a week fashion, let's assume therefore it's not the program anymore but I'm keeping the same progressions, set-reps...

What would be a good option :

1/ Keep the exact same days of week but spread in 10 days instead of 6. So one week becomes now 10 days. For example, week 1 day 3 would be on the next Monday instead of the Friday. I hope I'm clear :). The program would last around 8 weeks instead of 5.

2/ Remove 2 days each week (1 Workout A and 1 Workout B). In this case what day should I remove ? It seems I'd keep the first day (the Heavy day with the most volume) but don't know between day 2 or 3 especially for Presses/Pull-ups.

Thanks for sharing your views.
Benjamin

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom