all posts post new thread

Kettlebell The 5 Week, Whole Body Single Kettlebell Program

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Does anyone think that the swing times could be modified to all even sets and utilize one arm swings? Just a thought I had

Does anyone think that the swing times could be modified to all even sets and utilize one arm swings? Just a thought I had

I would imagine so. If you really wanted to be a perfectionist, you could subtract a set from the low volume day and add it to a high volume day. That way you're not changing the volume, and you're not reducing the variability. It still technically wouldn't be "the program," but I'll bet the results would be strikingly similar...

If I correctly remember a few things Al said about A+A training, the key thing is getting the volume in. Assuming the weekly/monthly/yearly volume is the same, waving the volume each session/week tends to be more effective than doing the same volume every single session, and a few longer sessions tend to be more effective than a bunch of short sessions. Over the course of weeks and months, however, the total volume and average intensity are the primary determining factors (assuming you're using the same 'bell all the time, intensity isn't a variable). I don't think anyone is too surprised by that ;)

Those of you that’ve done this program (or just give input) - how did/would you chose weight for swing days? I’m doing the program now and I’m using my 24 for press/pull up days. It just feels a bit light on the swing days. Tried searching for a break-down of the program in order to choise a good bell size but was unable.. Any ideas/tips etc?

I kept my swing weight the same as the press weight. One kettlebell. Although it did feel light I concentrated on making every swing as violent and explosive as possible. I figured it was 5 weeks so I would just dial in the swing and get as much out of it as possible. Finishing up week 4th right now and have had noticeable changes.

Have others been using the same weight for swings and presses? My press weight is only 20 kg. At that weight I’m just biding my time (not catching my breath) between swings.

The programme looks excellent, kind of a hybrid between S&S and ETK. I don't see how it would be better than S&S, however. I could see doing things other than S&S (such as this programme) if you're injured or are afraid of getups or something, but it's clear to me that there are very good reasons why S&S is the recommended programme at SF - it's most efficient, most flexible, simplest, most multi-directional, and most effective. After achieving Simple, things change as getting to "Solid" and "Sinister" are not so easy and it may be time to try other things to add onto your S&S base. My current problem is working around judo soreness: can't do getups because of my sore left knee, so a programme like the one linked to here is similar to what I've been doing recently - kind of combining swings with presses (and deadlifts).

This program looks like it addresses a different set of goals than S&S. Therefore it would be better than S&S for that goal. We have more than one type of hammer at StrongFirst :)

I go with them as a warmup - light weight, vary the reps but nothing taxing.

-S-

I go with them as a warmup - light weight, vary the reps but nothing taxing.

-S-

Do you use them as warm-up on any specific days? Before the press/pull ladders similar to the goblet squats on the swing days?

What sort of rep scheme? I am new to TGUs; was thinking of doing 5 per side at 16kg.

@Virtus, welcome to the StrongFirst forum!

A wamup should be just that - practice the movement. When doing light getups as warmups, I like to stop at each of the first two positions, move my neck around, check that my shoulders are packed and my t-spine open. I believe warmups should feel like play - I wouldn't prescribe sets and reps because some people like to do sets of 10 to warmup but I don't. Do whatever you feel enhances the workout to follow rather than pre-tires you for it, and you'll be fine. Personally, I would vary the sets, reps, weights, just to keep things interesting. Some days, you might use a very light bell and do all the reps on one side before moving to the other. Other days, you might decide to getup to the hand and then go back down again without completing the movement.

Another person example. I don't squat heavy but I do squat as a kind of warmup - in my case, I often do a few after bench presses to stretch out my back. Some days you'll find me doing 8 reps, other days 5 but with a pause at the bottom, and still others days I'm doing the prying version - exhaling at the bottom, moving around and, after a few breaths, repressurizing and combining back up, and I only do 2 or 3 like that. I don't plan which of these I'm going to do, but you certainly could and give yourself a try at each in some sort of rotation.

Hope this is helpful to you. Your idea is fine, too.

-S-

Did the first two days of the program and have a few questions.

Day 1 did the goblet squats with 32kg; 3x5 wasn't a lot of volume at that weight. Would there be any issue doing 3x10 squats?

Did the swings with 24kg; will definitely jump to the 32kg for the swings. I'm trying to break my Crossfit habit of doing swings to overhead; if I'm being explosive with my hips I'm having trouble keeping the bell below eye level or slightly above. Any tips on getting proper height, I'm guessing that jumping to the 32 will help with this some?

Day 2 did a warm-up of 3 TGUs per side with 8kg. I enjoyed them, I have a 16kg bell on the way.

Did the press and pull ladder with the 24kg. Ended up doing the lifts superset: 5 press L, 5 press R, 5 pull ups... I did the 3 sets in 4:30, 4:25, and 5:30. The instructions say to do them within 8 minutes; any issues with doing them much faster than that?

Day 1 did the goblet squats with 32kg; 3x5 wasn't a lot of volume at that weight. Would there be any issue doing 3x10 squats?

I would say yes. Something I’ve learned over the last year is that programs state specifics for specific reasons. Might not be obvious what they are until you see the results. I’m always tempted to do a program “but with this instead of that”, but I’ve found it’s rarely a good idea. So now I approach programs with the mentality that you should follow the program to the letter or not at all. Don’t follow it 90% and expect the results.

I'm trying to break my Crossfit habit of doing swings to overhead

Not a crossfit habit. Ovethead swings are called snatches. There are many programs that include snatches (my personal favourite being Viking warrior conditioning). Only this program calls for swings so do swings. Maybe use the 32kg if that feels more comfortable or you could tense your lats more and “push the bell down” at the top of the swing. Either option is good assuming good form IMO.

The instructions say to do them within 8 minutes; any issues with doing them much faster than that?

Again I’d say yes. Follow the program. Maybe take an extra minute between presses and pull ups or just enjoy the long rests. You could focus on doing the exccentrics as slow as possible. This would fill time by building time under tension. But cannot stress enough that to get the results promised by the program you must follow the program!

Did the first two days of the program and have a few questions.

Did the swings with 24kg; will definitely jump to the 32kg for the swings. I'm trying to break my Crossfit habit of doing swings to overhead; if I'm being explosive with my hips I'm having trouble keeping the bell below eye level or slightly above. Any tips on getting proper height, I'm guessing that jumping to the 32 will help with this some?

Visualize and feel the top position of the swing as a pushup plank (arms roughly level to shoulders) with the same glute tension. "Snap" into that position. You could not do that with an American swing (overhead swing) as your shoulders and arms take over at the top position and your arms soften, which is why it is not recommended among other reasons.

The goblet squats are part of the warmup and not intended to be a primary focus.

It sounds like you might be rushing for time due to the influence from crossfit. Go for quality instead. It is not a race. If you like to work with time limits then see how long it takes to get X number of quality reps maybe. Or don't even count the reps and set a time limit on the total workout.

Kettlebell selection question:
The program states “single kettlebell” in the title. I am only able to press a 12kg on the press/pull days, which is fine. But, if I used only that one kettlebell, I wouldn’t be getting much of a workout on squat/swing days. A 20+ kg feels like a better choice on those days. What are your thoughts. (FYI I’m a 38 yr old female who used to do regular hardstyle workouts, but I’m getting in shape again after having a few kids.)

I would say yes. Something I’ve learned over the last year is that programs state specifics for specific reasons. Might not be obvious what they are until you see the results. I’m always tempted to do a program “but with this instead of that”, but I’ve found it’s rarely a good idea. So now I approach programs with the mentality that you should follow the program to the letter or not at all. Don’t follow it 90% and expect the results.

Not a crossfit habit. Ovethead swings are called snatches. There are many programs that include snatches (my personal favourite being Viking warrior conditioning). Only this program calls for swings so do swings. Maybe use the 32kg if that feels more comfortable or you could tense your lats more and “push the bell down” at the top of the swing. Either option is good assuming good form IMO.

Again I’d say yes. Follow the program. Maybe take an extra minute between presses and pull ups or just enjoy the long rests. You could focus on doing the exccentrics as slow as possible. This would fill time by building time under tension. But cannot stress enough that to get the results promised by the program you must follow the program!

Overhead swings sometimes called American swings as opposed to hardstyle or Russian swings are a separate exercise popularized by crossfit.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom