all posts post new thread

Kettlebell The 5 Week, Whole Body Single Kettlebell Program

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Been off for two months due to an injury on my core, now I'm getting back using this routine (as I don't feel confident doing 34kgs TGU right now) started first day today using the 24kgs bell.

Did crawling for 10 minutes as warm up.

Been off for two months due to an injury on my core, now I'm getting back using this routine (as I don't feel confident doing 34kgs TGU right now) started first day today using the 24kgs bell.

Did crawling for 10 minutes as warm up.

Snap! Let's compare how we go. What weight are you going to use for the presses and pull-ups workouts?

I've also steered away from heavy TGUs due to injury risk. Will still do some light ones occasionally.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just did the second session (presses and pull-ups, 3 descending ladders 5,4,3,2,1).

Used a 16kg KB, and managed the first 2 sets and all the presses on the 3rd set, then failed on the 3 pull-ups, then stopped.

What do people suggest for this? Drop the weight to 12kg for both the presses and pull-ups, or stay at 16kg for the presses and go to 12kg just the pull-ups? 12kg for the presses would be pretty easy for me.

I have a more general question re: the press/pull section of the program if anyone has the time to explain please.

I'm used to increasing the load/decreasing the rest time/etc as part of building volume/strength/etc, as it does it the swings section (goes up in waves of 3 then next weeks drops to middle of week before, etc.).

But I'm struggling to make sense of the press/pull-up bit. By my reckoning the rep count in the 3 weekly press/pull sessions goes:

Week 1: 45 reps, 30 reps, 45 reps. Weekly total: 120 reps.
Week 2:
60 reps, 30 reps, 40 reps. Weekly total: 130 reps.
Week 3:
42 reps, 21 reps, 24 reps. Weekly total: 87 reps.
Week 4:
63 reps, 21 reps, 36 reps. Weekly total: 120 reps.

Is it that the rest decreases slightly as you're getting more in the 8 minutes window as the weeks go on? Or something else I'm missing? Sorry if I'm being stupid, it's just 120>130>87>120 is an unusual looking progression to me.

I think if I remember it correctly the reps of the press ladders increase as time goes on?? Like 5 to 1 becomes 6 to 1 or some such??? More reps per 8 minute group as time moves on....

I think if I remember it correctly the reps of the press ladders increase as time goes on?? Like 5 to 1 becomes 6 to 1 or some such??? More reps per 8 minute group as time moves on....

Yup, as above, weeks 1 and 2 go up logically, then it seems to drop massively in week 3.
Then in week 4 they only go back up to the level you do in week1?

Just did the second session (presses and pull-ups, 3 descending ladders 5,4,3,2,1).

Used a 16kg KB, and managed the first 2 sets and all the presses on the 3rd set, then failed on the 3 pull-ups, then stopped.

What do people suggest for this? Drop the weight to 12kg for both the presses and pull-ups, or stay at 16kg for the presses and go to 12kg just the pull-ups? 12kg for the presses would be pretty easy for me.

Started with the 24kg...but no, simply i'm so weak so got back to the 16 kgs and did just fine presses and pull-ups

ok this week I got the 24 kgs in...the one I did today 4x(5,4,3,2,1) was a bit of a nightmare but...I'm still alive so

Got to say that....I'm doing a ligther version! Initially when I read the program I didn't understood that the pull ups where weighted pull ups!!! So far I'm at the end of the week 2 and will keep this way for the whole month (considering my initial status). So i will be upgrading to weighted pull ups next month.

I feel great btw doing this more or less like I felt back then with the S&S, perhaps i'm enjoining more this program, will see how it ends :)

Been enjoying this. just finishing week 4 of the 5 week on Saturday.

Been using 40kg KB for the squats (3 x 5) and swings (sets of 7 EMOM progressive) and 16kg for the presses and pull-ups.

I did change the press/pull-up ladder around a bit. Kept it as an 8 min ladder for (round) x (5,4,3,2,1) for the first 2 sessions a week, and then (round) x (5,3,2) for the last in each week, and then the rounds done of the ladders for each session was:

Week 1: 3,3,2. (110 reps total)
Week 2: 3,3,3. (120 reps total)
Week 3: 4,3,3. (135 reps total)
Week 4: 4,4,3. (150 reps total)
Week 5: 4,4,4. (160 reps total)

Now mulling over what I can do next after a rest week. Maybe the Quick/Dead program...? And thanks to this forum and people for this 5 week program coming to my attention.

I'm on last day of week 4 as well with the 24kgs which used for everything (except for weighted pull ups, I use bw only on those) will repeat another month the whole program I feel great if I have to be sincere.

Next week I'll suffer my wifes WOD programming to test my overall condition (she's a Crossfit instructor :-/ )

Next month Ill be adding at least a 16kg on the weighted pull ups otherwise I will try swinging the 34kgs and keep the pull ups free, maybe the 34 kgs swings are better option but I doubt I can press with a good form that .

I'm finished on my 4th week now, was good and felt solid. Looking forward to my last week next week then I've have a week off a start a new program.

Been solid with the 16kg on presses and weighted pull-ups. As mentioned above I changed the press/pull-up ladders a bit, now maximum in one of the press/pull-up sessions is 4 ladders of 5 down to 1 for a total of 60 presses and 60 pull-ups a session which I'm happy with. Swings max will be 28 x 7 EMOM in the last swing session next week which totals 196 swings in 28 mins, although it's pretty steady so makes me feel like I need to get a 44kg KB for swings and goblet squats.

Debating what to do next. I have an eight week block. Can't maintain 6 session a week which this has been, need to drop to 4 sessions really, either 3 KB sessions and a run, or maybe 4 KB. Been thinking maybe Clean & Press & Squat (Dan John's armour building) complex (5x5) with progressive ladder type loading and then swings (some EMOM variation, maybe the Q&D type thing of 5 every 30 seconds). Either combined into 1 workout 3 times a week, or 2 separate ones twice a week each.

I'm finished on my 4th week now, was good and felt solid. Looking forward to my last week next week then I've have a week off a start a new program.

Been solid with the 16kg on presses and weighted pull-ups. As mentioned above I changed the press/pull-up ladders a bit, now maximum in one of the press/pull-up sessions is 4 ladders of 5 down to 1 for a total of 60 presses and 60 pull-ups a session which I'm happy with. Swings max will be 28 x 7 EMOM in the last swing session next week which totals 196 swings in 28 mins, although it's pretty steady so makes me feel like I need to get a 44kg KB for swings and goblet squats.

Debating what to do next. I have an eight week block. Can't maintain 6 session a week which this has been, need to drop to 4 sessions really, either 3 KB sessions and a run, or maybe 4 KB. Been thinking maybe Clean & Press & Squat (Dan John's armour building) complex (5x5) with progressive ladder type loading and then swings (some EMOM variation, maybe the Q&D type thing of 5 every 30 seconds). Either combined into 1 workout 3 times a week, or 2 separate ones twice a week each.
Can‘t you just do days A+B on the same day? First presses, then swings to finish the day? One day of easy jogging if you have more time?

Can‘t you just do days A+B on the same day? First presses, then swings to finish the day? One day of easy jogging if you have more time?

Yeah tbh that was my first thought. But the clean/press/squat bit will be a killer I think, was just thinking about separating them out, especially as planning to build the swings sessions into long ones, maybe up to 60 mins inc. rests.

Ok I'm definitely keep going with the 34 kgs swings, will try to do de presses and leave the pull ups without weight, i've added the 34kg this last 5th week to "check" how it works :)

After the 5th week with the 34 kgs I believe that the press aint optimal with this weight so:
34 kgs for swings and globets
24 kgs for presses
No weights for pull ups

My Wod or Test was a "Murphy" 10 kgs vest + 1.5 km run / 100 pull up / 200 push ups / 300 air squats / 1.5 km run...finished in 81 minutes (a lot but it was also very warm yesterday) will retest in a month!

To Whom it May Concern: Hello!

I give up, and humbly request some help deciphering this workout. Here is it copied again....

DIRECTIONS
A - Kettlebell Swings
Each Swing workout starts with 3x5 Goblet Squats, 60s rest.
Swings are seven reps per minute for the prescribed number of sets. Seven swings will take about 10 seconds; rest for the remainder of the time.

B - Kettlebell Presses and Pullups
Set a timer to beep every 8min. When it beeps, start your press set. Clean a 6-8RM kettlebell once and press it 5 times with your left. Drop, switch hands, clean with your right, and do your 5 presses. Without setting the kettlebell down, keep switching hands and counting down the reps: 5-4-3-2-1. This was one set.

Walk around for a couple of minutes, and do the pullups in the same descending rep ladder of 5-4-3-2-1. When the timer beeps, hit your presses again.

Workout A, I get. It's an 10min EMOM, so...
1min: 7 swings, rest for the remainder of the minute
2min: 7 swings, rest for the remainder of the minute
repeat for 10min, total of 70 swings.

Workout B. I've over thought this so much, I finally gave up and registered to be a member in hopes of cracking the code. I'm equal parts defeated that I don't think I've figured it out, and excited to finally have this riddle solved.

So, here's my guess....

Set an 8min timer.
Right hand 5 presses, Left hand 5 presses
Right hand 4 presses, Left hand 4 presses
Right hand 3 presses, Left hand 3 presses
Right hand 2 presses, Left hand 2 presses
Right hand 1 press, Left hand 1 press
Pause a bit
Pullups: do 5, then come off the bar
Pullups; do 4, then come off the bar
Pullups: do 3, then come off the bar
Pullups: do 2, then come of the bar
Pullups do 1, then come of the bar

And you try and get that all done in the 8min?
When the timer beeps for the second interval of 8min, you do the above again?
Eventually, you do the above 3 times? That's the 3 sets that are described? So it's ballpark a 24min workout?

Thanks in advance for any help.

To Whom it May Concern: Hello!

I give up, and humbly request some help deciphering this workout. Here is it copied again....

DIRECTIONS
A - Kettlebell Swings
Each Swing workout starts with 3x5 Goblet Squats, 60s rest.
Swings are seven reps per minute for the prescribed number of sets. Seven swings will take about 10 seconds; rest for the remainder of the time.

B - Kettlebell Presses and Pullups
Set a timer to beep every 8min. When it beeps, start your press set. Clean a 6-8RM kettlebell once and press it 5 times with your left. Drop, switch hands, clean with your right, and do your 5 presses. Without setting the kettlebell down, keep switching hands and counting down the reps: 5-4-3-2-1. This was one set.

Walk around for a couple of minutes, and do the pullups in the same descending rep ladder of 5-4-3-2-1. When the timer beeps, hit your presses again.

Workout A, I get. It's an 10min EMOM, so...
1min: 7 swings, rest for the remainder of the minute
2min: 7 swings, rest for the remainder of the minute
repeat for 10min, total of 70 swings.

Workout B. I've over thought this so much, I finally gave up and registered to be a member in hopes of cracking the code. I'm equal parts defeated that I don't think I've figured it out, and excited to finally have this riddle solved.

So, here's my guess....

Set an 8min timer.
Right hand 5 presses, Left hand 5 presses
Right hand 4 presses, Left hand 4 presses
Right hand 3 presses, Left hand 3 presses
Right hand 2 presses, Left hand 2 presses
Right hand 1 press, Left hand 1 press
Pause a bit
Pullups: do 5, then come off the bar
Pullups; do 4, then come off the bar
Pullups: do 3, then come off the bar
Pullups: do 2, then come of the bar
Pullups do 1, then come of the bar

And you try and get that all done in the 8min?
When the timer beeps for the second interval of 8min, you do the above again?
Eventually, you do the above 3 times? That's the 3 sets that are described? So it's ballpark a 24min workout?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Everything you say is correct!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom