all posts post new thread

Kettlebell The 5 Week, Whole Body Single Kettlebell Program

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Keeping this post going into 2021...I’m a Newb (first post!) and wanted to know how you could incorporate into this protocol a GTG snatch and GTG TGU? Should the snatch be done on non-swing days? I’m coming off of an A+A that was similar but worked up 10 swings 3x week from 10-22 EMOM. I like the idea of the shorter times with this protocol. The writing out of the program is much appreciated.

This program looks pefect when Im little stronger. But I dont get how it is meant with the rest.

In the first page in this thread it says:
"
B - Kettlebell Presses and Pullups
Set a timer to beep every 8min. When it beeps, start your press set. Clean a 6-8RM kettlebell once and press it 5 times with your left. Drop, switch hands, clean with your right, and do your 5 presses. Without setting the kettlebell down, keep switching hands and counting down the reps: 5-4-3-2-1. This was one set.

Walk around for a couple of minutes, and do the pullups in the same descending rep ladder of 5-4-3-2-1. When the timer beeps, hit your presses again.
"
It cant be that you do the whole pull-up ladder without rests as with the presses. How long pause should one aim for with the pull-ups ladder?
Thanks!

This program looks pefect when Im little stronger. But I dont get how it is meant with the rest.

In the first page in this thread it says:
"
B - Kettlebell Presses and Pullups
Set a timer to beep every 8min. When it beeps, start your press set. Clean a 6-8RM kettlebell once and press it 5 times with your left. Drop, switch hands, clean with your right, and do your 5 presses. Without setting the kettlebell down, keep switching hands and counting down the reps: 5-4-3-2-1. This was one set.

Walk around for a couple of minutes, and do the pullups in the same descending rep ladder of 5-4-3-2-1. When the timer beeps, hit your presses again.
"
It cant be that you do the whole pull-up ladder without rests as with the presses. How long pause should one aim for with the pull-ups ladder?
Thanks!
I think you just need to get them done as quickly as possible, getting them done before the 8 minutes allotted for presses and pull-ups has run out. Just my guess.

I think you just need to get them done as quickly as possible, getting them done before the 8 minutes allotted for presses and pull-ups has run out. Just my guess.
Thanks, so in principal one starts the next rung of pull-ups after as short rest as possible.
Seems great when Ive reached a more decent press and pullup capacity.

No one has suggested not resting between the rungs of the ladder. Rest as needed, default being rest periods equal to or slightly longer the work time. (Ladders originated as “I go, you go”)

-S-

It's Monday. What better day to start something new. This will be my first Pavel program with fidelity and humility. Goblet squats will start with no weight to work hip mobility and strength. Swings will done with a 25# plate (because that's what I have). Presses will be a 10# plate. Pullups will be assisted.
At 51 reality rules decision making.
Thanks for this post.

I started this week. First saw this on M&F, was unhappy with the layout like others and came to this excellent resource with the various re-layouts which is what actually convinced me to start it.
@MikeHall - same age as you!
The mod I made since I have issues with a tricky rotator cuff in overhead position is I switched the presses to be floor presses/dips alternating. And I also am alternating the pullups with bent rows (variety for the sake of variety, I know, not recommended, but I tend to get over-use injuries / tendonitis with high volumes, particularly with pull-ups at the elbow).

Impressions - Single Kettlebell as a description - as others have noted - is a bit misleading - or certainly doesn't seem to fit for me.
I am using an 18kg bell for Squats/Swing days and it seems very light (but I'll stay there for now knowing volume is going to increase)
I am using a 14kg bell for floor presses and it also seemed a light (again, gonna stick with that to see where this goes)
But that volume of pull-ups in that amount of time...with weight...really? I started with the 14kg and after 5, 4...I dropped the belt knowing I'd never get through the workout with weight. So I went BW for the rest and still had to do jump assists for most of the last set.
I can't understand how someone's pressing weight would be do-able for that many pullups - but clearly I've let my pull-ups slide, so I've got some work to do there.

Is anyone increasing weight during the 5-weeks or simply waiting until the next cycle to move up a bell?

Thanks again to this great community for the open, civil discussions, it helped me get back in the game. Oh, I attached a PDF of my layout. I thought it would be cool to upload my Excel file for others, but that is not allowed, so PDF it is.

Attachments

• 5-WeekKBt.pdf
    49 KB · Views: 52
@WalterMitty2

Thank you for the breakdown. How do you interpret the goblet squats in Workout A?
Did you do 3x5 prior to every EMOM 7 swings resulting in 150 goblet squats or just 15 goblet squats for the entire 10 minute swing workout.

But that volume of pull-ups in that amount of time...with weight...really? I started with the 14kg and after 5, 4...I dropped the belt knowing I'd never get through the workout with weight. So I went BW for the rest and still had to do jump assists for most of the last set.
I can't understand how someone's pressing weight would be do-able for that many pullups - but clearly I've let my pull-ups slide, so I've got some work to do there.

You do not need to use your pressing kettlebell (or any extra weight) for pull ups. You just need same RM pull ups as your press is (6-8RM). So for some folks it means adding weight, for some folks it means using assistance, and for some it is just bodyweight pull ups.

You do not need to use your pressing kettlebell (or any extra weight) for pull ups. You just need same RM pull ups as your press is (6-8RM). So for some folks it means adding weight, for some folks it means using assistance, and for some it is just bodyweight pull ups.
Ahh, so simple. makes perfect sense, thanks @sammal. Then I'll echo the sentiment of others in this thread, 6-8RM for this many reps is a lot for the presses and pulls. my current (out of practice) RMs are 9-10 reps with only bodyweight and 5 with 25lbs, that is a RM so performance suffers greatly on subsequent sets. So 45 reps with BW definitely needed assistance. I suppose that is a measure of strength endurance and mine is lacking. This is going to be good for me.

Given that nearly everyone seems to be using different weights for almost everything in this routine, it is clear that "single kettlebell" doesn't mean "...for everything", it is just saying you are using one at a time instead of doubles.

Hi all this program looks awesome but a question about pull-ups.
I have no pull-up bar and cannot actually do a pull-up, so what’s the second best alternative?
I am thinking swap for rows in the same cadence as press - 5 left, 5 right, 4 left, 4 right and so on…

I know pull-ups are the best for this program but please - I’m asking for second best alternative.
Cheers

I would just do the ladder format but bilateral not 1 arm w/rows... the trx if you could get one (or similar set up) could be an option to

I would just do the ladder format but bilateral not 1 arm w/rows... the trx if you could get one (or similar set up) could be an option to
Hmm ok - my kettle bells are single weights, I have a few options but not double arm. Don’t have TRX - but I like that idea. I do have a resistance band though, is there something I can do with that?

Hmm ok - my kettle bells are single weights, I have a few options but not double arm. Don’t have TRX - but I like that idea. I do have a resistance band though, is there something I can do with that?
Yeah you can do maybe a set of 10 after each ladder? Might have to play with it

Maybe do renegade rows? Use the biggest bell as the stability arm bell and row with another? Ex 32kg is the anchor bell (don't row), row with 24kg

Similar to total tension complex

Yeah you can do maybe a set of 10 after each ladder? Might have to play with it

Maybe do renegade rows? Use the biggest bell as the stability arm bell and row with another? Ex 32kg is the anchor bell (don't row), row with 24kg

Similar to total tension complex
Set of 10 what after the ladder? Resistance bands lat pull downs is what I was thinking.
renegade rows sounds good too

Set of 10 what after the ladder? Resistance bands lat pull downs is what I was thinking.
renegade rows sounds good too
Band pull aparts or facepull with the band

Single KB row - either bracing against something solid, like furniture, or your own knee, or gorilla rows, using one at a time.

Renegade rows are great but wouldn't be my choice here. The pulling component isn't the limiting factor with them, it's the anti rotational core strength. So they're not the best choice to balance pressing and pulling IMHO.

I can row 24 and 32 for high reps, 15+. But renegade row, nowhere near as many reps. Still it's a great exercise!

@duffy - your original idea of swapping in rows in the same cadence as presses should work fine in lieu of a pull-up bar. That is what I am doing every other pull-up day to prevent elbow tendonitis that I get with too much volume on pullups.
The other option is - as others said, to mimic the bilateral pattern of a pull-up - use a heavy kettlebell, if you have one that is heavy enough you could just 2-hand bent row it.
If not and you still want to do it bilaterally, there really isn't any reason you couldn't just do bent rows with uneven weights.
HeavyL, LightR x 5, LightL, HeavyR x 4, HL, LR x3, LL, HR x2...etc. That will place some demand on core anti-rotation, but not nearly as much as renegade rows and you'd - more or less - be working bilaterally.

Hi,

Has anyone done this program 3 days per week? I am considering squats, half kneeling presses and TRX rows ladders followed by the prescribed swings on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Would this work, or is there a reason the lower body and upper body days are done separately?

My goals are to improve general fitness.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom