all posts post new thread

Old Forum The 6 pack of truth...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

citizenfox

Level 2 Valued Member
If you someone over 40 with strong looking 6 pack, listen. They know. You may not agree with them, but unless you're older and harder, listen.

I don't know anyone over 40 that fits that bill (pun intended) ca would you be so kind as to offer a bit of knowledge?  I did the Whole30 this Jan and my BF dropped pretty low but my mid-section strength is still developing. As an over 40 guy I'm interested in what your thoughts are.

Thanks!

Nick -

The Whole30 is a paleo program that starts with a 30-day cleanse.  I did this in Jan of this year to see if it made any impact to eat in that manner.  I had some positive results but it wasn't the easiest to adopt with a family and young kids.  There are many ways to try paleo and this is just but one.

-lars

Lars,

I recently forewent my 6-pack to a 4-pack on purpose as I crested 40. (Experimenting w/ lotsa carbs right now...)

But I can say that I maintained a 6 pack from 38 thru 39.

Got "Whole 30" but not a big fan.

I think a cyclic approach works best. Cycle your carbs, fat, and proteins. And the times which you eat. That's what I outlined in my books, "The Permanent Weight Loss Solution," and "Six Pack Abs 365."

And it's really much easier than you think - even with family - especially if you eat the majority of your food at night, similar to "The Warrior Diet."

I'm interested to follow this, as I am a well over 40 guy who is in search of that long hidden 6 pack. I can see the outlines now, but I also have to fight the severe damages done years ago by massive surgery. Haha... mine looks pretty wonky... not symmetrical  at all.

In the end though, I'll take strength and feeling good over misery and a 6 pack. :)

Not supposed to be a "diet" thread or a "training" thread, its a living  thread. I've had the 6 for 30 years thru machines, KBs, Bodybweight, vegan, Atkins, Paleo.....  What I'm saying is if you find a guy, or girl, who's a grown a** adult, non fitness related job, maybe a kid or two, and they're managing to "walk around" lean and strong, they've figured something out about what it takes. Meet 5 of them  (good luck with that ) and they might have 5 different methods, but they've figured out what it takes, and they're doing it.

No pardon needed, Bill. I completely agree with where you are coming from. I simply wanted to make the point that many will kill themselves on a way of eating (the way I have recently) in pursuit of that.

Great advice. I'm always a believer in following those who DO. That's one of the things thats so great about Strong FIrst and this kind of community... lots of "been there, done that and here was my result".

Geoff - right now, for reasons explained elsewhere, I'm pretty much doing a machine and free weight based version body building thing. Using every trick in my book.  I'm eating very close to Paleo, maybe a "light style", with some Black Prince style old man recovery supplementation, whey, BCAAs, glutamine, D, ZMA. 53, travel every week, fly almost every week, and 2 kids under 5.

A very long genesis to get to this conclusion, and not worth discussing in this thread. But long ago i got very, very lean (abs and intercostals showing under my Casper the friendly ghost fishbelly) via ECA stack, fasted cardio, brutal workouts, and 5-7 meals a day cycling calories and metabolism via 8k calorie stretches  dropping excrutiatingly down to 3000. Not worth the grocery bill, food obsession, and family stress. In the past 6 months simplified and minimized workouts. Dropped all booze for long periods, ate only 2 meals a day (and an occasional ice cream and sometimes a snack when very hungry), and walked a lot.

Voila. Easiest level of lean ever. The many meal bodybuilder model has a use, but for most it is not the way to go.

lagniappe: wanna keep muscle and strength levels acceptable during bodyweight drop? Creatine.

More to follow.

jmo

I confess to not understanding why people value "six pack abs."

-S-

Geoff hasn't said it but his books cost a grand total of less than $10 on kindle for both unless something has changed.

Bill, Care to expand on what you are doing. I noticed more and more that people over 40 who have trained for many years and have worked things out for themselves advocate a similar approach to yours, such as Laird Hamilton and his training crew and Mike Caviston.I would be interested to know more as I have found I am moving more and more towards the Hamilton style circuits with lots of different exercises.

Steve - notice I said "strong looking " 6 pack. I strong lean means your strong and not fat, that's good.

What I'm doing is really reverse engineering my life and history.

I think the Wildman/Hamilton circuits work because volume becomes more important when you have less and less "activity" and "sport" in your day. Combine that with the fact that being all dinged up mens the ballistics get trickier...ill expand in another post.

Thanks, Bill. 2 kids under 5, eh? I'll probably be in that boat in the next year or so.

Jack - that's pretty much what I did both times. First time: OCD on everything. Second time: 2 meals a day, non-metabolic strength training, lots of walking. And probably more ice cream than you.

Bill, fair enough.  I've always found that my abs showing means that skinny, l'il' ol' me is getting too skinny.

Other - a friend, lean and strong but with a small bit of belly fat, told me he calls a small amount of belly fat his "good life."  He said if you don't have any, people worry you might not be livin' the good life. :)

Geoff, that's my basic formula as well.  I eat a small breakfast and then dinner, I pick up heavy things 2-4 days a week, and I walk as much as I can.

I've got two kids, boys, but they're 16 and 20 and both bigger than me - and that's a good thing, IMHO. :)

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom