all posts post new thread

Old Forum The 6 pack of truth...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I've had a six pack for most all of my 53 years but the layer of fat I kept over it until I discovered kettelbells and BJJ was larger 3 years ago. I really agree with Dan John and Pavel on this. Recently I've been doing fewer crunches and ab bikes and more hanging leg raises and I really like the HLRs per a short little book of Pavels I downloaded a while back. Good for much more than just abs. BTW, to the larger point, I've known guys who looked like Tarzan just because they were born with good genes and did nothing for it...eventually age gets them or they learn but I don't necessarily think just because they look good that they know something.

The longer you train, the more you see that training truth is relative, and the better you know how to tweak your own workouts.

You guys will think I've gone new-agey, but the key to working out consistently, avoiding injury, and eating well is mindfulness. Chaotic mind = chaotic results. Calm mind = consistency and the right choices.

Mindfulness is as old as Buddhism, and I couldn't agree with you more - thanks for posting that.

-S-

Hit the nail on the head there, Rob.

I feel for all of you with kids under 5... not now... but when they become TEENS! Mine are 20,18,16, with only the 16 left at home. I'm exhausted. Steve likely knows what I'm talking about.

I love this thread. 6 pack of truth.

Bill Fox you are truly the Bruce Lee of this forum.

@joseph - three boys sounds like it might be easier. I've got two beautiful girls, 5 and 2. The oldest, at 45 lbs, deadlifted my 53 lb bell last month like she could do it all day. I won't need to be strong first for her, 'cuz she'll do it herself, but it still won't hurt to be a little intimidating when boys come calling.

And back to the point of this thread: six pack or not, my midsection is definitely becoming more solid, esp. the obliques and their tie-it at the pelvis. As I've gotten older, I've just gotten more efficient and finally have enough self control to keep junk out in the first place, while still having enough of the "good life" to keep me sane. Kettlebells allow me to not waste time doing bullshit workouts and have more time for the things that matter to me. Isn't that what it's all about anyway?

Rob's point is crucial.

We had dinner together Saturday night with our wives (leaving the 5 boys under 8 we have between us behind with their sitters)  and trust me no cave men and their wives ever ate, or drank, like that. Unless they were French and from this century.  Then the next day right back to center. Its not about a show of discipline, or some aesthetic creed, its about year after year of walking the talk.

A really strong and lean older guy is living proof.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom