all posts post new thread

Kettlebell The benefits of snatches over swings

I find the snatch helps a lot more than the swing with my boxing training - for punching power, for timing, and for endurance.

I don't really understand why.

I find that the hip-hinge part of the snatch groove is basically identical to a super exaggerated upper cut with the non-working arm. The catch at the end is like keeping balance at the end of a strike when you miss (god forbid).

The Swing is beautiful in its simplicity. The Snatch involves lots of fine tuning. Here's an example.
I had an issue of figuring out the balance between taming the arc and hip-hinging. Learned to tame the arc on the way up in no time. But dropping the bell in a similar 'tame' trajectory made the following rep more squat than hip-hinge. After some testing and trying found the balance that seemed right, with the downward trajectory more rounded.
And there can be a myriad of such issues. With everything on your mind, it gets awfully easy to forget about the basic stuff like bracing the abs. I would say the Snatch doesn't belong in the repertoire of anyone who hasn't mastered the Swing to a decent level, until then your technique will likely be loose, unproductive, and dangerous.
I switched to Snatches three moths or so ago after swinging for a couple of years. The first thing I noticed was more load on grip and shoulders, to the point where I could see the difference in the mirror after about a week of training.
Will write some updates when there's news:)

Yeah snatches also turn you into an eating machine. Those 8 weeks of snatching I was permanently hungry. I don’t recall swings doing that and I made the swing my main move for a year solid once. I don’t even remember Dan Johns 10,000 swing challenge making my appetite as bad as 8 weeks of KSK did.
That’s so true because when I did KSK (currently still) my appetite goes insane. I’m on phase 2 endurance. And I’m doing it with a 32kg. Gimmie all the food lol.

Back
Top Bottom