all posts post new thread

Kettlebell The benefits of snatches over swings

You can start now. @Anna C is still in her first two years, if I remember right.
Don’t know how the hernia would take it mate. I didn’t really quit barbell work because of it. I quit because I’m one of these morons who would go “oh well 100kg didn’t mess with it, let’s go to 120kg” and then I would mangle myself. Lol man know thyself and all that jazz. Having a great time with me KBs. Who knows though. Always wanted to do judo too and that’s a pain in the keister to fit around work. I wouldn’t have the time.

You can start now. @Anna C is still in her first two years, if I remember right.
Yeah, never too late to start. I'm 2.5 years in now at age 54.5.

Don’t know how the hernia would take it mate. I didn’t really quit barbell work because of it. I quit because I’m one of these morons who would go “oh well 100kg didn’t mess with it, let’s go to 120kg” and then I would mangle myself. Lol man know thyself and all that jazz. Having a great time with me KBs. Who knows though. Always wanted to do judo too and that’s a pain in the keister to fit around work. I wouldn’t have the time.
Essential to have a coach programming what you're doing. I never would have believed I needed to hold back as much as I have, as far as weight on the bar. But clearly it was the right call. Technique, consistency, confidence, mobility, and speed all grow in an atmosphere where muscling max lifts isn't the primary concern.

Sounds like you learned in a Crossfit class. ;)
I learned from a guy called Nick Horton, who went by Iron Samurai at the time. I lost track of him years and years ago. Not sure if he was ever a Crossfitter - and to be fair maybe I completely misunderstood him!

Essential to have a coach programming what you're doing. I never would have believed I needed to hold back as much as I have, as far as weight on the bar. But clearly it was the right call. Technique, consistency, confidence, mobility, and speed all grow in an atmosphere where muscling max lifts isn't the primary concern.

If I'm going to massively over-generalize, most women lifters I've trained alongside are much better about this than most men.

Young men are especially bad. Older men have often 'touched the stove' enough to learn better, but not always. ;)

Yeah, never too late to start. I'm 2.5 years in now at age 54.5.

I still might. Like I said I’ve only took up judo. I’m a few years into that minus that Covid fiasco. I had an oly bar and power rack in my bedroom at one point. I’ve entertained just having an oly bar for cleans, presses and front squats (which I kinda manage even with form that probably needs a bit of work). Just 200lbs of plates and doing a bit. But I also fancy GS Sport too. So many things, so little time.

I learned from a guy called Nick Horton, who went by Iron Samurai at the time. I lost track of him years and years ago. Not sure if he was ever a Crossfitter - and to be fair maybe I completely misunderstood him!

I was mostly being snarky -- but the reality is that in a Crossfit context (sub-maximal snatches done for reps), smashing the bar against your pubic bone is actually a pretty good strategy for bar cycling if you don't miss lifts due to arcing and your pubic bone can stand it.

Sort of like kipping pull-ups -- horrible form for a gymnasts, but if your goal is just to bang out as many reps as possible, with no quality concern, it's a great way to use momentum.

If I had to do 50% RM of my snatch AMRAP, I'd totally cheat and smack my pubes into the bar.

Doing it properly would be too slow, take too much mental concentration and energy.

I still might. Like I said I’ve only took up judo. I’m a few years into that minus that Covid fiasco. I had an oly bar and power rack in my bedroom at one point. I’ve entertained just having an oly bar for cleans, presses and front squats (which I kinda manage even with form that probably needs a bit of work). Just 200lbs of plates and doing a bit. But I also fancy GS Sport too. So many things, so little time.
Yeah, if someone had told me 2.5 years ago, you need to focus on this exclusively (which I have, except for ~3 months earlier this year for shoulder rehab and SFG recert prep).... and you still won't be very good at it 2.5 years from now.... I'm not sure I would have gone for it. But I'm really glad I did. Now I actually relish the fact that there's still so much more to learn.

I was mostly being snarky -- but the reality is that in a Crossfit context (sub-maximal snatches done for reps), smashing the bar against your pubic bone is actually a pretty good strategy for bar cycling if you don't miss lifts due to arcing and your pubic bone can stand it.

Sort of like kipping pull-ups -- horrible form for a gymnasts, but if your goal is just to bang out as many reps as possible, with no quality concern, it's a great way to use momentum.
I wonder if we could invent Crossfit shorts that, like bike shorts, have a little padding in them down there, but in the front...

Yeah, if someone had told me 2.5 years ago, you need to focus on this exclusively (which I have, except for ~3 months earlier this year for shoulder rehab and SFG recert prep).... and you still won't be very good at it 2.5 years from now.... I'm not sure I would have gone for it. But I'm really glad I did. Now I actually relish the fact that there's still so much more to learn.
Yeah I “do judo”. Technically I turn up and get judo done to me lol

Same for golf. ;)

At least for me.

I originally started using kettlebells in lieu of the oly lifts. I purchased a pair of light bumper plates to try out, just to see if I had enough room to do them in my basement. I soon learned that, while I had enough room to complete the lifts, I didn't have enough room to MISS a lift.

I originally started using kettlebells in lieu of the oly lifts. I purchased a pair of light bumper plates to try out, just to see if I had enough room to do them in my basement. I soon learned that, while I had enough room to complete the lifts, I didn't have enough room to MISS a lift.

Easy fix: don't miss lifts. ;)

Here’s a picture of my wife taking a dopamine fast from SM and other’s opinions on an awesome day. She didn’t even notice me. A good day.AC218612-BA37-4FA1-9133-19E077BE6688.jpeg

Apologies if this reads as an uninformed question from a newb, but what do you guys believe to be the benefits of snatches over swings?
To catch the snatch in a solid lockout can be/is pretty beneficial to strong and resilient shoulders. It demands and develops good t-spine extension, opens the rib cage, thus good for posture.

The eccentric absorption (with the same weight) is much higher compared to the swing. and heavy snatches are squatier than swings, build biceps and traps and grip more.

For overall package development the snatch performed decently has by now collected great results on a good number of people over the years, and is a strong contender on the ever recurring thought-experiment-question:" what if you could only do one exercise for the rest of your life?"

Q&D is focused on the energy systems development, with all the other benefits coming along for the ride.

The article is focused on the other benefits, with the energy systems development coming along for the ride.

The snatch is a more precise tool for energy systems development work. The swing is a more blunt object to be used for that purpose. The swing is more idiot-proof, in that regard. You just do the work, and things happen. But the snatch, in the hands of a master practitioner, can be used to more masterfully carve into the areas one is seeking to develop.
Just wanted to reply to this and say: well-said! Your language and explanation is spot on. Love the comparison of the "blunt object" vs. the "precise tool"!

Back
Top Bottom