all posts post new thread

"The Best All-Around Training Method EVER"- 6 months in, I'd say YES!!!!!

don fannucci

Level 5 Valued Member

i wanted to report the last 6 months of training and ask the community for feedback and share the insights

started following this program with very slight modifications
2 days a week, 1 day volume with reps, 1 day focused on heavier weights and slightly lower reps

for example, day 1 might be 3 reps 24kg, 3 reps 24kg, 3 reps 32kg, top and bottom of the minute, repeated for up to 60 min(total of 360 reps)- always aerobic, following the strong first rule of 5
or 62 for 2 for up to 60 minutes-

i tried to keep some waviness with this, but always passing the talk test at :28 seconds and :58 seconds

day 2- strength
62 for 1, 70 for 1, 79 for 1 for 40- 50 minutes

depending on life, weather, other circumstances, i'll do anywhere from 30-70 minutes of this twice a week- i've worked up to C and J the 44kg bell for doubles in one of the #2 workouts- easy and repeatable

so... after 6 months, some observations
1) i'm never exhausted from this- it is totally aerobic, repeatable and scaleable- i haven't missed a workout and i'm always looking forward to this
2) my endurance with the C and J has gone through the roof- i've done up to 75 total minutes and charting my heart rate it basically stays well within the maffetone numbers (140-145)
3) absolute strength has gone through the roof- i can easily clean and jerk a 110 pound dumbbell or the beast KB with almost no effort-
4) folks i'm training with are doing amazing- 14 year old boy, still young, easily C and J a 55lb dumbbell at 110 lbs... 16 y/o boy is banging out 3 reps with the 28kg kb in the #2 workout (a year ago couldn't hold a side plank)... training partner (father of the two boys) easily clean and jerks 90lbs for singles and is cranking out sets of 3 with the 32kg in these workouts- and he's jumping like he was 18 years old (his words!)
5) today, after not really snatching in a while, at the end of a general workout- did the RKC/Strongfirst 100 rep snatch test w/ the 53 in 3:22- tired but not exhausted or blown up

i've not seen anyone else report their experiences with this

i'm 47 years, old, former college rower, much more aerobic based than naturally powerful- but i'm feeling bulletproof and the folks i'm training with- young and "old" are seeing massive gains

thanks Pavel for such a brilliant program- i'm imagining that if i can do some kind of variation of this for the next 10 years, my 60's and beyond will be quite fruitful

Thanks for this amazing report and congrats to your success!
I am happy for you this works so well for you and everyone around you.

Did you stick with the one arm jerks and never proceeded to the plan with the double-jerks? If so, why?

i'll do within a workout anywhere from 1 2 or 3 clean and jerks per round- i kind of try to come up with patterns that are interesting but revolving around a theme- i imagine it to be like the old stair master screen where you have different "heights" of effort...

i'm to the point where the 28kg is the "working bell" where 3 reps is very very easy and i'm working on progressing up to 3 reps with the 44kg bell in individual rounds

i'll do within a workout anywhere from 1 2 or 3 clean and jerks per round- i kind of try to come up with patterns that are interesting but revolving around a theme- i imagine it to be like the old stair master screen where you have different "heights" of effort...

i'm to the point where the 28kg is the "working bell" where 3 reps is very very easy and i'm working on progressing up to 3 reps with the 44kg bell in individual rounds
That is basically KBSF with Iron Cardio style variability. I like it!

Thanks for this feedback/report. May I ask your prior KB experience before you have started the program or the prior KB experience of the “old man” , 16-18 yos are just like supermen learning and improving in light speed…

Excellent result. I'm just about to start this program and you shared experience with this program which is very similar to my assumptions. It looks like Iron Cardio 2.0 only with LCCJ

Last edited:
Bit of an aside on this topic, is there any golden standards for single bell LCCJ? Similar to the 24kg snatch test (100 in 5 mins, 200 in 10)?
Here is an idea from ROTK:
Pavel in ROTK said:
The long cycle is big with Russian fighters. The Tomsk Jiu Jitsu Club that has cleaned the clock at the Russian Nationals demands that their students pass kettlebell lifting tests for their belt promotions. For instance, a brown belt must be able to put up between fifteen and twenty reps, depending on the bodyweight, in the long cycle C&J with two 32kg. A man-sized effort.

Sounds good, but that’s for doubles.

For the single bell equivalent I imagine it’s going to be pretty high reps, especially if it’s with a 24

Bit of an aside on this topic, is there any golden standards for single bell LCCJ? Similar to the 24kg snatch test (100 in 5 mins, 200 in 10)?
“Eventually, your goal is to make these weights your working weights for plans A and B:

Men—40% BW
Women—30% BW (but no more than 24kg/53lb)”

For plan A, that would be 3 LCCJ every 30 seconds, or 6 a minute for 30 minutes without failing the talk test.

Out of curiosity....in the article it speaks about little equipment or none at all. With that in mind, would anyone try this with say a pushup and pullup (band resisted pushup - roughly a 6 rep max band and maybe a weighted chin up)? 1 rep every 30 seconds ie on the minute a pushup .. and on the half minute a chinup.

Richard

@Ricky01 I would check out the section on burpees in this article: How to Train Against a Virus | StrongFirst

The adaptations might not all be the same, but the principles are similar.
and here is another idea

I've been focusing on c&j programming for most of the year... I've run the KBSF program now for about 6 weeks and built up to x2 OTM dbl 28s for 26min (couldn't seem to break past the mid-20min mark)

Switching to KB berserk from Hec G in April... Did a break in session today and the added front squats is killer!

Prior to the KBSF program I was just running ladders of 2,4,6 with moderate weights

I think alt days of jerks & swings is a great combo (I've been doing it the entire time) gives you upper body ballistics paired with lower body ballistics

Out of curiosity....in the article it speaks about little equipment or none at all. With that in mind, would anyone try this with say a pushup and pullup (band resisted pushup - roughly a 6 rep max band and maybe a weighted chin up)? 1 rep every 30 seconds ie on the minute a pushup .. and on the half minute a chinup.

Richard
A+A is most effective with power exercises.

Make it explosive pushups and pullups and it could work.

"for example, day 1 might be 3 reps 24kg, 3 reps 24kg, 3 reps 32kg, top and bottom of the minute, repeated for up to 60 min(total of 360 reps)- always aerobic, following the strong first rule of 5
or 62 for 2 for up to 60 minutes-"

this came across unclearly

i always follow the strong first rule of five- speed, breathing, technique, RPE, tempo

i wanted to see what Intraworkout waviness would feel like- so there is a kind of variation of either the 1(cardio) or 2 (strength) workouts

for example, the number 1 workout i've used some of the following rep schemes- i just make them up to work on a certain goal
28kg bell, rep scheme 2, 2, 1, 3... (the goal here was to get a bit of rest on the fourth round) and then hammer the last- total 41 minutes
28kg bell, rep scheme 2,3- repeated total 62 minutes- very cardio intensive
24kgx3, 24kgx3, 32kgx3 repeated total 63 minutes
24 kg for 1, then 2, then 3, 28kg for 1, then 2, then 3, 32kg for 1, then 2, then 3 repeated for 50 minutes

the number 2 workout is lower reps but much higher weights- these really build strength- some examples would look like
32kg x1, 40kgx1 repeated for 40 minutes
the last one of these that i did was 44kgx2, 32x1.5 (clean and jerk and clean), 32x1 for 45 minutes

i'm not following a specific formula- just kind of feeling my way forward-
i should also say that my 13 year old daughter has been joining me for the number 1 workouts (she's easily C and J the 16kg for reps)
she thinks it is the hour of taylor swift on spotify that is making the most difference... i can't really argue

Back
Top Bottom