all posts post new thread

"The Best All-Around Training Method EVER"- 6 months in, I'd say YES!!!!!

goal is to build work capacity and comfort of the 32kgx3- i suppose the goal would be 32kgx3 for 30 rounds... that would feel like an accomplishment, especially if it could be done keeping the heart rate around 150 or less...
2 x 32 for 30 otm is a pretty decent workload. In the past 1,5 years or so I did many sessions of this load. It's work you can dig into.

Screenshot_20230421_181544_Polar Flow.jpg
Just a few minutes ago.

Screenshot_20230206_174521_Polar Flow.jpg
So far my 'best' session regarding volume hr response.

i like the perspective that the Victor guy has talked about and my training is patterned after something similar... now as i approach 50, i'm interested in figuring out what panoply of skills i want to maintain for a long (20+ years)- this seems like a valuable part of that
I 46 in two days and I think keeping up... 2 x 32 x 30 otm for a long time is a worthy long term engagement. Season makes this workload interesting, being able to do it year round: dark season is bright season for the work of lifting.

that's great data- i do my sets on the top and the bottom of the minute-
clean and jerk x3 (alternating r and l hand)- total of 6 in a minute so 180 in 30 minutes would be a very solid effort w 32kg and if it could be done a lower heart rate that would demonstrate a high, high level of marty gallagher's 3rd way cardio

i'm gonna take my time and see if i can slowly get there

If you're interested in BOTH Video Programs (NOT the E-Book) you may stand to save more.

Sometimes their coupons stack.

1682957902601.png

i wanted to report the last 6 months of training and ask the community for feedback and share the insights

started following this program with very slight modifications
2 days a week, 1 day volume with reps, 1 day focused on heavier weights and slightly lower reps

for example, day 1 might be 3 reps 24kg, 3 reps 24kg, 3 reps 32kg, top and bottom of the minute, repeated for up to 60 min(total of 360 reps)- always aerobic, following the strong first rule of 5
or 62 for 2 for up to 60 minutes-

i tried to keep some waviness with this, but always passing the talk test at :28 seconds and :58 seconds

day 2- strength
62 for 1, 70 for 1, 79 for 1 for 40- 50 minutes

depending on life, weather, other circumstances, i'll do anywhere from 30-70 minutes of this twice a week- i've worked up to C and J the 44kg bell for doubles in one of the #2 workouts- easy and repeatable

so... after 6 months, some observations
1) i'm never exhausted from this- it is totally aerobic, repeatable and scaleable- i haven't missed a workout and i'm always looking forward to this
2) my endurance with the C and J has gone through the roof- i've done up to 75 total minutes and charting my heart rate it basically stays well within the maffetone numbers (140-145)
3) absolute strength has gone through the roof- i can easily clean and jerk a 110 pound dumbbell or the beast KB with almost no effort-
4) folks i'm training with are doing amazing- 14 year old boy, still young, easily C and J a 55lb dumbbell at 110 lbs... 16 y/o boy is banging out 3 reps with the 28kg kb in the #2 workout (a year ago couldn't hold a side plank)... training partner (father of the two boys) easily clean and jerks 90lbs for singles and is cranking out sets of 3 with the 32kg in these workouts- and he's jumping like he was 18 years old (his words!)
5) today, after not really snatching in a while, at the end of a general workout- did the RKC/Strongfirst 100 rep snatch test w/ the 53 in 3:22- tired but not exhausted or blown up

i've not seen anyone else report their experiences with this

i'm 47 years, old, former college rower, much more aerobic based than naturally powerful- but i'm feeling bulletproof and the folks i'm training with- young and "old" are seeing massive gains

thanks Pavel for such a brilliant program- i'm imagining that if i can do some kind of variation of this for the next 10 years, my 60's and beyond will be quite fruitful
Sounds like you’ve had awesome results. I am just starting the program myself. I am wanting to become a better runner (think Spartan ultra type running/events). I am wondering if you would mind sharing your run training? I am wanting to run 3 times per week but am open to advice from everyone. Thanks for your time.

Thought I would share a little something with you. Five weeks ago, I changed my daily workout routine, inspired by this post. Every morning at 5 AM, I wake up, drink a protein shake, and work out for around 40 minutes. I have a newborn (6 months old), so it's the only time I can fit in a workout. I warm up for around 5 minutes, lift weights for around 25 minutes, and do stretching/breathing exercises for around 10 minutes or whatever time I have left.

I am 36 years old and have been training since I was 16. I competed in powerlifting for about 10 years and ran a marathon back in 2010. I have always been in "OK" shape overall, but this new routine has been something different. I have never seen such a positive trend so quickly.

In the graph below, it is easy to see a positive trend from week 14. Both my average HRV and my average nightly heart rate have been trending upwards and downwards, respectively.

1683208214954.png

Below is a snapshot from the Garmin HRV status which shows exactly the same trend:
1683208895623.png

The lifting weights part follows this rythm:
Day 1: Upper Body Medium Day
Day 2: Lower Body Heavy Day
Day 3: Upper Body Heavy day
Day 4: Lower Body Light Day
Day 5: Upper Body Light Day
Day 6: Lower Body Medium Day
Day 7: Rest

Upper body includes Clean + Push Press and every third set is a grind switching to Clean + Press.
Lower body includes Swings and every third set is a grind switching to Backstep Lunges.

Heavy, Medium, Light only dictates the weight (16 kg, 24 kg, 28 kg).
I do one set every 30 second switching between left and right.
I always follow the breathing rule between sets. If its too easy I do one more rep next round and vice versa.

How would times change for other people when adding reps? For example, when I increased from C+J with 40 kg for 30 min to C+J+C next session time dropped to 15 min. (Mainly because for in weak arm became sloppy, but also talk test was approaching failure). Curious to see how this is in other athletes following the same program.

I’m up to CJCJC for 24 mins with 32kg. After getting to 30 mins I dropped back to 22 mins and built from there in 2 minute increments. Hold at 30 minutes for a week and see how I feel and then restart at 22.
Using Garmin body battery as a guide as well.
De loaded after week 4 and 8 and back on it. I’m also running an optimal TGU third workout using same timings as CJ programme on weeks I can’t get to 3 BJJ sessions.

I’m up to CJCJC for 24 mins with 32kg. After getting to 30 mins I dropped back to 22 mins and built from there in 2 minute increments. Hold at 30 minutes for a week and see how I feel and then restart at 22.
Using Garmin body battery as a guide as well.
De loaded after week 4 and 8 and back on it. I’m also running an optimal TGU third workout using same timings as CJ programme on weeks I can’t get to 3 BJJ sessions.

CJCJC is a lot of density in 30s, good job.
Interesting to see you maintained time a bit better than me. Though today was not the best session.

Is one month in too early to post my results? I guess you can let me know:

It took a few weeks to find the right training protocol, but I settled on 10x5 double KB LCCJ twice a week. (I got the program from Scott Iardella).

I do a set of 5 every 3:30. This gives me plenty of time to recover, but when I put the bells down at the end of each set it feels like a sprint (Is this A+A?)

I started with 20k, but now I'm working the 24k into my sets too. I did 3 sets with the 24 yesterday.

What amazes me about this is how I can get such a huge blast from the work, but not feel beat up or tired. It really puts a spring in my step. I'm looking forward to hopefully seeing some long-term benefits from this. The only other program I did that made me feel GOOD after each session was S+S.

A question I've had about kettlebell C and J for a while: if I'm not proficient with C and J, would clean and push press be a decent substitute within the same programs?

A question I've had about kettlebell C and J for a while: if I'm not proficient with C and J, would clean and push press be a decent substitute within the same programs?
I think @Geoff Neupert has remarked several times - yes. there is some compatibility between the press, the push press, and the jerk. it might behoove a trainee to take into account that it does shift the loading of the program. so if you have some kind of specific goals in mind there may be some compensatory interests. but, generally speaking, yes. you can use one for the other.

I'd submit - practice them on video and compare yours to good examples, and you'll catch on rather quickly.

The big difference I'd notice is a slight decrease in system-wide taxation from avoiding the second dips and more concentrated stress in the arms and upper body depending on how much kipping I was generating. which, overall isn't a big deal. but there will just be some differences as far as biasing the adaptations in one direction or the other. after swapping from the Push Press to the Jerk, I think I'd notice a more cardio-like sensation from a session with the same number of reps.

For a program like this, I don’t think so, at least not as well. If you have the KB-SF (BJJ) book Pavel has you use (among several things) the clean and push press as a learning method to get you to the C&J so that you can use the C&J for the actual program. I think your time would be better spent taking a week or two (or 3 ... or 4 ...) to become proficient. You don’t have to be expert, just good enough, and you’re likely close to having it if you already have the clean and push press.

And if you really have the desire, the KB SF (BJJ) instructional videos are excellent and frequently on sale for 50% off - right now it is on sale for $48.

Has anyone done turkish getups with this? LCCJ 2 times a week and Tgu 2 times, on next day looks reasonable. In general, to me, Tgu is very similar to wrestling movement mechanics

Question for @don fannucci and everyone else who is deep into this program: how do you feel after each set? I was doing the program as written and I wasn't feeling anything. I switched to a 5x5 twice a week and now I feel a lot (in a good way). I do 5x5 every 3:30 seconds, so I get a long rest. I do 5 reps with double 24, and when I put them down, I feel like I've just run a sprint. Then, after the long rest, I feel ready for another one. I feel warm, mobile, and juiced up during and after this workout. Later in the day, I have a nice spring in my step, but I get beat up if I do the two sessions too close to each other.

I'm wondering what effect this should have over the long term and how it might compare and contrast with the program does.

i think the key is to follow the strong first stop signs- that's a bit different than "sprint training"- the goal here is to inexorably increase your work capacity- think high weights, high(ish) reps WITH LOW HEART RATE... that means repeatability forever-

i imagine the guy who can bang out 3/3 with say an 88lb bell for 30 plus minutes without having a heart rate higher than 150 would be absolutely incredibly fit along almost all dimensions

Back
Top Bottom