all posts post new thread

Kettlebell The Best All-Around Training Method EVER (articles)

taro

Level 6 Valued Member

Has anyone made this program? Up to what moment? 3xC&J for 30s, 30 minutes?
What effects? Strength, condition, bodyfat, muscles..

I would like to start and I am interested in the effects.
How does this relate to the Q&D snatch version?

Last edited:

taro

Level 6 Valued Member
Yes, I made a mistake.
I corrected. Thank you.

What kettlebell did you use and how much do you weigh?

Bauer

Level 7 Valued Member

Has anyone made this program? Up to what moment? 3xC&J for 30s, 30 minutes?
What effects? Strength, condition, bodyfat, muscles..

I would like to start and I am interested in the effects.
How does this relate to the Q&D snatch version?
Harald Motz shares some of his wisdom on it in this thread:

The last newsletter (written by Ryan Toshner) gave a short review for 9 week progress, doing it only once per week. Apparently helping with climbing Mt. Whitney, CA:
The results:
  • Increased the total reps (C+J=1 rep) from 80 (40 per arm) on week 1 to 104 (52 per arm) on week 9 while passing the talk test.
  • Strict kettlebell military presses and squats felt subjectively easier on week 9. Neither of those are my favorite lifts; I’m much more of a “puller” (deadlift/swing/snatch and pullup).
  • Most importantly, I had a far easier time on Mt. Whitney than on Grand Teton (elevation: 13,775) the year before. Respiration, climbing, and hiking tolerance were far better while I felt less fatigued at an elevation 730 feet greater and for a longer duration (16 hours on Mt. Whitney versus 14 on Grand Teton).

Last edited:

Shawn90

Level 5 Valued Member
I hate any program that accelerates my heart rate beyond 130bpm but this looks like something I WANT to try.

If done Monday and Thursday, would it be ok to add some low volume low intensity exercise on tuesday / friday just for aesthetics?

Par example: Like a pull up/ dip 2 easy/medium sets and inverted row/ decline push up 2 easy/medium sets.

Bauer

Level 7 Valued Member
I hate any program that accelerates my heart rate beyond 130bpm but this looks like something I WANT to try.

If done Monday and Thursday, would it be ok to add some low volume low intensity exercise on tuesday / friday just for aesthetics?

Par example: Like a pull up/ dip 2 easy/medium sets and inverted row/ decline push up 2 easy/medium sets.
Yes, sounds good!

Here is Pavel's recommendation from the comments:
Heavy “grinds” are best done the day before; hypertrophy work the day after A+A.

Pete L

Level 5 Valued Member
Yes, I made a mistake.
I corrected. Thank you.

What kettlebell did you use and how much do you weigh?
I was about 87 kg. I used the 28 kg bell. I tested this summer and the 32 kg will be the bell I use next time. 36 kg is the mid term target.
I don't have the strength to run double bell with 28 kg and 32 kg yet. I ran it with 24 kg and 28 kg this winter and progressed easily to the time and rep limit. Ideally a 28 kg could be bought but I'll see how I get on with the single 32 kg first.
But this autumn I'm focusing on pressing instead of jerking so will have to wait until next year.

watchnerd

Level 8 Valued Member

images

;)

John K

Level 7 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
You like it, not just the Plan B, the rest of the vid/program ?
I have not done the C&J program. I did the swings/getup when it first came out, both the intro program (swings and getups 3x a week) and the intermediate program (swings and getups alternate days). I liked the program, but mostly I liked the structure of the program. I really enjoyed S&S, and I felt like this continued on a slightly alternate path, as well as giving more guidance for people struggling with moving on into the 40kg and beyond. I moved on from the program to prep for SFG1, and I've stayed off it as I really just love the snatch and the clean and press. I keep it in my back pocket so to speak for the next time my life enters a stressful point where I have limited time and limited recovery.

I really really love the swing progression.

The videos are good, and even though I felt like I had a good grasp on things, there was definitely value there for me to continue learning. I think for me getting someone hands on at the cert helped me improve my technique a lot more than watching the videos, but I think that says more about my (lack of) ability to learn/the awesomeness of the instructors that helped me and not about the videos.

Top Bottom