all posts post new thread

Kettlebell The Best Kettlebell Squat Variation

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Simply strong

Level 4 Valued Member
Just out of interest Id like to know peoples favourite / thoughts on what the best kettlebell squat variation is for strong legs and strong core.

Variations I hear a lot of are the goblet squat, pistol squat, single/double front squat, uneven-load front squat and Cossack squat.

Personally I don’t like the pistols as I keep loosing my balance and that can’t be good for my knees. I honestly think the double front squat is a great lift but if you were training at home that would mean purchasing two bells. So the uneven front squat has to be my current leader as you could get a new bell as other lifts progress and use the lighter ones when squatting. However I’ve never tried Cossack squats and imagine they would feel like pistols that have a counterbalance, so they may become my new favourite.

What do people think?

My favorite is to double front squat with one bell rolled up on your traps. That way you get the core challenge of front squat but it isn't the limiting factor for load/reps.

After that I like skater squats, but as you are discovering, unilateral work can be tough to really apply when fighting for balance.

Bulgarian splits squats are a good variation as well.

favourite / thoughts on what the best kettlebell squat variation is for strong legs and strong core.

For strong legs and core: definitely double KB front squats, either matched or uneven bells.

For mobility, warm-up, and lighter strength/core work: goblet squats. Face-the-wall variety for technique tuning.

For balance and strength (and endurance for reps): pistol squats.

For mobility, warm-up, and some strength: Cossack squats. I suppose these can be loaded more than a light bell, but I haven't played around with that.

Hack squats are another variety to play with. Balance, strength, and slightly different muscles used. The legs go out and the heels come off the floor.

For overhead mobility and lighting up the upper back, overhead kettlebell squats are something to try. Caveat: most people can't do them. Try light first and be ready to dump the bell forward... don't strain the shoulders.

For strong legs and core: definitely double KB front squats, either matched or uneven bells.

For mobility, warm-up, and lighter strength/core work: goblet squats. Face-the-wall variety for technique tuning.

For balance and strength (and endurance for reps): pistol squats.

For mobility, warm-up, and some strength: Cossack squats. I suppose these can be loaded more than a light bell, but I haven't played around with that.

Hack squats are another variety to play with. Balance, strength, and slightly different muscles used. The legs go out and the heels come off the floor.

For overhead mobility and lighting up the upper back, overhead kettlebell squats are something to try. Caveat: most people can't do them. Try light first and be ready to dump the bell forward... don't strain the shoulders.
This about covers it.

My personal favorites are:
Double KB Front Squats -- a staple in my training. My main squat exercise.
Hack Squats -- a more specialized supplement to DFSQ that I rotate into my training occasionally.

Goblets and cossacks for loaded mobility. I often do similar squats and cossacks with a band looped around my hips and anchored to a power rack in front of me. So instead of using a KB as a counterbalance, the band pulls my hips forward. It's a little different variation that also allows my arms to be free to reach in various directions to work on thoracic extension and rotation, and it just feels really good and natural.

I used to do a lot of pistols, but they no longer agree with me. I'm not sure I actually got much out of them, but I was naturally very good at them, so they were fun to do.

Double KB Front Squat. I can make the move very heavy and I get a clean out of it as well as a ton of core stability.

I like face-the-wall squats at the moment. Increases technique and shows mistakes.
If I have someone who has lost their squat pattern (pitches forward or goes to toes even in a Goblet), a Nose-to-Wall KB Dead-Squat to a Box fixes them immediately. Once that's ingrained, I remove the box, then remove the wall, then go to goblet. Not necessary for everyone, but seems to work well in that situation.

If I have someone who has lost their squat pattern (pitches forward or goes to toes even in a Goblet), a Nose-to-Wall KB Dead-Squat to a Box fixes them immediately. Once that's ingrained, I remove the box, then remove the wall, then go to goblet. Not necessary for everyone, but seems to work well in that situation.
Well explained. I agree 100%. I have lost my squat pattern and now slowly getting it back with face-the-wall squats. My knees and lower back feels a lot better now. Thanks for the tip of box variation. I have to check it out.

Everyone should try these - even just with a broom handle. There is no way to cheat an overhead squat.

You can also press them from the bottom of the squat, as Zar is demonstrating on the StrongFirst web site banner:

upload_2019-3-5_18-27-10.png

My vote goes to double kettlebell front squats. It is the one version you can load up the most.
Some other great alternatives (can do them loaded or bw only):
-airbourne lunge: a lot more user-friendly than pistol squats with similar benefits (in my experience)
-high step ups (to at least 50 cm, better yet 60 cm or 70 cm): done slow and controlled these are a hugly underrated leg builder. You can even shift the emphasise. By keeping the shin mostly stationary and vertical you will tax more the leg biceps and glutes. By shifting the shin forward you will tax more the quadriceps.

My favorite Squats are double front, Goblet and Pistol. I'd been struggling with balance some time ago but I got stronger and now it's not a problem. From those tree pistols are the most practical for me, and it's obvious. Let's suppose you on the leave and you don't have your kettlebells with you, and you want to complete a workout. Pistol Squat are quite good solution in such rare situations.

front squat, both double and single, are my favorite. heavy double front squat = midsection exercise to me. heavy single front squat loads your abbie a totally different way.
i like pistol, i gained tons of kicking power with that.
it just take some time and serious volume.
so how much volume do you think of?

front squat, both double and single, are my favorite. heavy double front squat = midsection exercise to me. heavy single front squat loads your abbie a totally different way.
i like pistol, i gained tons of kicking power with that.
so how much volume do you think of?
Maybe 100 reps a week?

My vote goes to double front squats.
If I don’t have access to weights I prefer Airborne lunges over pistols any time.

@Simply strong, one should own pairs of kettlebells in the sizes you need. The standard complement of kettlebells for an adult male used to be a pair each in 16, 24, and 32 kg.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom