all posts post new thread

Nutrition The best protein...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Dave0317

Level 3 Valued Member
I was able to obtain some meat recently that I feel is the best source of protein I have found, ever. Not just because it is grass fed, organic, free range, non-gmo, locally grown, and never given antibiotics. It is the best because of the way it must be obtained, as it is not for sale. Searching for venison is truly enjoyable. Finding it requires waking up early, driving far away from town, and getting out amongst nature in such a way that the prey thinks you belong there.
Some people prefer to climb up in a tree and wait. They have their strategy and I have mine. Stalking and "still-hunting" is not the most effective hunting style, but I find it highly rewarding. Walk quietly using the wind and natural sounds to your advantage. Look for bedding areas, feeding areas, and animals traveling between the two. Deer are smarter than you might think and much more adapted to life in the woods than any of us are. Once you have harvested your deer, the work is far from over. Field dress the animal ASAP to cool the meat. Now you have 75-100 pounds of animal or more to wrap in a tarp and drag or carry over your shoulder all the way back to where you parked. Assuming you are not lost that is.

If you are into "paleo" or eating healthy in general and enjoy a good mental and physical challenge, I highly reccomend this form of grocery shopping. It is real work and really rewarding to go into the wilderness, and come back with excellent quality food for your family.

My wife has maintained a small garden in our yard for about a year now. Absolutely a very similar feeling to reap the rewards of your hard work and get such fresh food straight from the ground. Really another great way to obtain quality food.

@Dave0317 , I enjoyed a rather large Elk steak both today and yesterday. The 6x6 was a bit more than 75-100 pounds. The mule deer my son harvested has also been an organic, gluten-free, grass-fed source of protein as well. And yes, we did it the hard way...

Cheers,

Jon

Very nice, I hope to do an Elk hunt some day. Must be a really great experience. And hopefully when my son is older he will develop an interest for it also, like your son has. That is really great.

@Dave0317 I'm assuming you were gun hunting. That's great and congratulations on finding what is one of my passions. Now, go pick yourself up a bow and get up close and personal. It's great, I hardly ever pick up a gun anymore except to go to the range for some practice now and then. There's nothing better than back straps on the grill, or many other venison recipes I have found over the years. Good luck!

I was gun hunting, though the shot was only about 30 yards, maybe a little less. I would not be opposed to trying a bow next year. I like a challenge, and honestly a bow might not be all that much of a handicap anyway considering how thick the woods are here. I'll report back if I do get one for next season.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom