all posts post new thread

Bodyweight The buff naked warrior

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Breaking Bad & Fast

Level 1 Valued Member
So hi I'm an 16 year old boy, I weight about 120lbs and I am 5'6. Before reading about Pavel I was your normal blacanic teenager doing numbers of pushups and situps. I did karate and some boxing and for a while I went to the gym and bench pressed 121lbs at 95lbs of body mass. For a while I stopped training and really lost my power and endurance. I couldn't do more than 20 PUs and sit ups. I would look at calisthenics programs online ( since I don't have weight available) and give up at about a week. All changed when I read the Naked Warrior. First I didn't know about Pavel but after reading NW I was shooked. Reading that I could do OAPUs without doing those stupid progressions really amazed. At first I couldn't do a single OAPU but then I could 2 in a row ( for me thats impressing). Then I searched about which book of his is focused on no equipment training and after searching I ordered Hardstyle Abs and Relax Into Stretch. Now my routine is as following.

NW GTG everyday ( although somedays lighter than other )
Abs I am practicing hardstyle breathing but I plan to do 2x a week cycles of Situps and HLR just like pavel suggests.
I stretch 3x a week using RIS principels
And Pullups 3x a week

The thing is even though I am happy I am getting stronger, I want to be bigger. The sad thing is that as far as I know Pavel doesn't mention how to build mass ( without weights) and other options such as those Calisthenics youtubers aren't for me. So I ask for your help and advice. I thought of adding weight to my OAPUs and Pullups but don't know if that will help. So do you guys have any advice on how to build mass with pure cals? Or do you have any advice in general how a guy like me can improve this training plan?

Every advice is welcomed.
Thanks in advance.

So hi I'm an 16 year old boy, I weight about 120lbs and I am 5'6. Before reading about Pavel I was your normal blacanic teenager doing numbers of pushups and situps. I did karate and some boxing and for a while I went to the gym and bench pressed 121lbs at 95lbs of body mass. For a while I stopped training and really lost my power and endurance. I couldn't do more than 20 PUs and sit ups. I would look at calisthenics programs online ( since I don't have weight available) and give up at about a week. All changed when I read the Naked Warrior. First I didn't know about Pavel but after reading NW I was shooked. Reading that I could do OAPUs without doing those stupid progressions really amazed. At first I couldn't do a single OAPU but then I could 2 in a row ( for me thats impressing). Then I searched about which book of his is focused on no equipment training and after searching I ordered Hardstyle Abs and Relax Into Stretch. Now my routine is as following.

NW GTG everyday ( although somedays lighter than other )
Abs I am practicing hardstyle breathing but I plan to do 2x a week cycles of Situps and HLR just like pavel suggests.
I stretch 3x a week using RIS principels
And Pullups 3x a week

The thing is even though I am happy I am getting stronger, I want to be bigger. The sad thing is that as far as I know Pavel doesn't mention how to build mass ( without weights) and other options such as those Calisthenics youtubers aren't for me. So I ask for your help and advice. I thought of adding weight to my OAPUs and Pullups but don't know if that will help. So do you guys have any advice on how to build mass with pure cals? Or do you have any advice in general how a guy like me can improve this training plan?

Every advice is welcomed.
Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the forum!

Welcome...
One thing for sure is that you are going to need to eat. Have you given any thought to food? I presume that you could still be living at home, so any dietary changes will need to be somewhat harmonized with the family.

Welcome...
One thing for sure is that you are going to need to eat. Have you given any thought to food? I presume that you could still be living at home, so any dietary changes will need to be somewhat harmonized with the family.

I eat 3 meals a day. Morning boiled eggs, milk and a banana. Lunch probably a stew with vegetables. Dinner something like fries or pasta with meat.

NW is a max strength bw program, not designed to build mass. Check out Pavels “Beyond Bodybuilding” full of training gems sand mass based programs. You also have “The Bear” and DeLorme which are great mass programs. Fabio Zonin has published some programs on this site as well pertaining to this.

The great thing about these programs is their strength emphasis. They are not rife with isolation exercises but compound moves that will make you not only strong, but look strong.

Hello,

Welcome !

A bodyweight version of the Bear could be something like: pistols, handstand push ups, pull ups, and then some core training (HLR, etc...). These moves are "example" but the idea could be to use the regression - if needed - to eventually get them. 10 to 15 sets of 3.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Welcome !

A bodyweight version of the Bear could be something like: pistols, handstand push ups, pull ups, and then some core training (HLR, etc...). These moves are "example" but the idea could be to use the regression - if needed - to eventually get them. 10 to 15 sets of 3.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Thanks for the welcoming.

How should I approach the Bear program? Cycle it maybe the program I am doing for 4 weeks then Bear for 2 weeks?

And how should I split the exercises, every exercise in a day 3x per week or more or different exercises on different days?

Again thanks for the reply.

Hello,

Do you also reccomend wearing a weighted backpack while doing these exercises?
If you are very proficient for pull ups, why not. A weight roughly close to your 5-6RM.

It will not be convenient for HSPU though.

For the pistol, better to hold the weight in front of you but be careful on the knee

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

If you are very proficient for pull ups, why not. A weight roughly close to your 5-6RM.

It will not be convenient for HSPU though.

For the pistol, better to hold the weight in front of you but be careful on the knee

Kind regards,

Pet'

Thank you again for the advice.

The Convict Conditioning series has a mass building version, but I don’t anything about it. Also, I think the Kavadlo brother, Al and Danny May have some resources.

The Convict Conditioning series has a mass building version, but I don’t anything about it. Also, I think the Kavadlo brother, Al and Danny May have some resources.

Thanks for the suggestion. But I have read all 3 CC books and almost all of the Kavaldo brothers but nothing worked for me. I am more tha content with the naked warrior and hardstyle abs exercises and I am not willing to change that program.

Again thanks for the suggestion and taking your time responding to my post.

How is your pistol and other bodyweight leg drills? Are those good enough to sets of 3/5?
Do you have any weight at home? Plate, dumbells, heavy objects?

How is your pistol and other bodyweight leg drills? Are those good enough to sets of 3/5?
Do you have any weight at home? Plate, dumbells, heavy objects?

I can probably do sets of 5/5 with pistols, my lowerb body has been always stronger than my upper. I don't have dumbells or plates, but I fill my backpack with 6-7 kg of books.

Hello,

@Breaking Bad & Fast
If you mainly work on HSPU, pull ups, pistols, you cover most of the things.

Core is always a little tricky: if you mostly do HLR, do not forget to also work on plank / back lever / GHR to strengthen the lower back as well. This will "compensate" for not having a hip / hinge.

For instance, if you go for multiple set of 3, you can throw a few sets of plank / BL at the end of the training. It will give you the ability - meaning the raw strength - of the hip / hinge.

Disclaimer: it is always possible to do hip thrust, hip press (even with only one leg and suspension trainer), but they still require more reps

Kind regards,

Pet'

Have not read the whole thread, but dont miss out on Tom Furman´s Armor of War program. Essentially work from 5 sets of 5 reps to 10 sets of 5 reps. When doing single limb excercises one can lower the reps to 3 and up the sets to 8, working from 8 sets of 3 to 16 sets of 3.

I recomend his Train for Life book.

Hardware store should sell 50# bags of sand for a few bucks. Theres a zercher/bear hug load for leg work.

I've always struggled adding mass & the easy part is the training (more total volume with a heavy weight, many ways to design it). If you progressively overload from being able to do 3 sets of 5 pushups and over a year build to 5 sets of 20 ring dips, its tough to not have built some muscle IF YOURE EATING ENOUGH. Thats been where I just cant do it. Some bodies are built to burn calories & getting into consistent excess calories can be very difficult for some. At one point I accepted that mass was not important enough to pound trash calories all day every day, so I accepted that some people are meant to be cheetahs & some are silverbacks.

So, however you train, progressive overload & food as far as your priorities push that. But always be happy with how God made you.

Welcome to the forum.

Hello,

I agree with @Nate At some point, we have to "accept" our morphology.

It remains easier to overload the upper body using bodyweight training only. However, this is harder when it comes to the legs. This is why I think @Nate 's idea to use sandbag to do squat is great. Bobby Pandour had a great leg development (and trunk as well) by doing stair climbing while carrying his brother.

In general, the more you carry (rucking, bear hug, etc...) the more muscle you will evenly put.

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom