all posts post new thread

Bodyweight The Dead Hang.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Lotto

Level 6 Valued Member
Playing around with increasing my capacity for pull ups at the moment. I've found a nice side effect in the dead hang though. My top half of my body feels great afterwards. I'm just hanging there limp though. Is there anything I should be doing to help increase my pull up capacity whilst hanging around?

Playing around with increasing my capacity for pull ups at the moment. I've found a nice side effect in the dead hang though. My top half of my body feels great afterwards. I'm just hanging there limp though. Is there anything I should be doing to help increase my pull up capacity whilst hanging around?
As @offwidth said, active hangs or scapular pulls.

+1 For active hangs.

I actually tweaked my back the other day (again) doing limp hangs after some heavy deadlifting. My t-spine always feels a little weird hanging limply, but not if I hang actively. This time it hurt, and then spasmed for about a day. As such, I can't say I recommend a limp hang, at least not for myself anyway. This has been a specific problem area for me though, so your mileage may vary.

Dan John says that if you can hold the top and the bottom of a pull up for a minute each, your body can figure out the rest. One article by him said to dead hang everyday. Work up to a minute. Then start doing flexed hangs. Once you can hold that for a minute, you can do pull ups.

For a proper program, see Dan John’s post deployment program. I put a link to it below. For the first month, 3 days a week you just hang. For the second month you do flexed hangs. For the third month you have for 30 seconds then try a pull up.

Some info on the study that Dan cites (The Kauai study): The Lowest Hanging Fruit for your Shoulders — Creature Fitness

One thing that is never made clear is whether it is passive or active hanging that is recommended. Can anyone find anything further? Most websites I’ve dug further into recommend both.
Usually passive. I’ve read many articles and have done some twitterverse challenges. I’ve done 5 minutes plus a minute and a half one arm hangs with each arm. Definitely recommend for shoulder health.

The original book by the shoulder surgeon Dr Kirch(sp?) recommends fully relaxed hanging; the only tension should be in the grip.
Dr. Kirsch's objective is mitigating shoulder impingement and frozen shoulders. His passive hangs prescription certainly helped fix my impingement.

On the other hand, I cannot curl my body up unless I switch to an active/scapular hang first.

Hangs and pull-ups really mess with my shoulder and lower back. I read that book about dead hangs when I was dealing with some shoulder pain, and the hanging only messed me up worse.

Even normal pull-ups give me issues. Never had any trouble with TGU though.

On the other hand, I cannot curl my body up unless I switch to an active/scapular hang first.
Am curious about this ............. Is anyone able to curl up from a deadhang ? I've always believed something gets switched off when you deadhang and you have to active hang in order to switch it on again before doing the curl toes to the bar/rings. I can only do it if I pull a bit rather than deadhang.

Is there anything I should be doing to help increase my pull up capacity whilst hanging around?
Stretching Muscle Prior To Exercise

1) Agonist Muscle Stretching

The Agonist Muscles in an exercise are the ones used in the movement.

As an example. in the case of a Pull Up or Chin is that the working Agonist Muscles are primarily the Posterior Chain: Lats, Posterior Deltoids, Rhomboids with the exception being the Biceps.

Research has demonstrates that stretching the Agonist Muscles too much prior to performing an Agonist Exercises, decreases Maximum Strength and Power.

Base on the research, Agonist Muscle Stretching prior to or between Set of an Agonist Exercise needs to limited to 30 seconds or less.

Agonist Stretching for Muscle Mass

1) John Parrillo, Bodybuilding Coach

Parrillo was a pioneer with Bodybuilding stretching between Agonist Exercises.

Parrillo's empirical data indicated it increased muscle mass.

2) Dr Jose Antonio

Antonio's research with Loaded Stretching of the Wings of Bird, determined it increase muscle mass.

3) Dr Jacob Wilson

Research by Wilson (University of Tampa Human Performance) with athlete determined that Antonio's finding were effective for increasing muscle mass in humans

As per Wilson's finding, Stretching around 30 seconds between Sets was effective in the working Agonist Muscle.

General Agonist Stretching Exercise Recommendation

Stretching the Agonist Stretch in an Agonist Exercise is effective at increasing muscle mass without decreasing Strength and/or Power.

Antagonist Muscle Stretching Prior To An Agonist Exercise

In Upper Body Exercises the Antagonist Muscle in an Agonist Exercise provides a "Braking Effect".

That means in a Pull Up/Chin the Anterior Muscles (Pecs and Anterior Shoulder along with the Triceps (Anterior Muscle) limit Strength and Power Production.

Think of the Antagonist Muscles like the Emergency Brake on your car.

Diving with the Emergency Brake on limits how fast you go.

The Key To Increasing Agonist Muscle Force Production

The key to increasing Agonist Exercise Force Production is to take the "Antagonist Brake Off".

1) Stretching The Antagonist Muscles Prior to An Agonist Exercise

Doing so "Releases The Antagonist Brake", allowing greater Agonist Muscle Force Production.

Length of Antagonist Muscle Stretch

Stretching of the Antagonist Muscle 30 seconds or longer is the most effective.

Stretching Example

Stretching the Pecs, Anterior Shoulders and Triceps prior to performing a Pull Up/Chin.

2) Performing An Antagonist Exercise prior to a Agonist Muscle Exercise.

Doing so, is another method of "Releasing The Antagonist Brake".

Antagonist Exercise Example

Performing a Dumbbell Bench Press prior to a Pull Up or Chin.

A Dumbbell Bench Press relaxes the Antagonist Muscles along with allowing them to be Stretched before Pull Ups or Chins.

The objective is to "Release The Antagonist Brake". Thus, Light to Moderate Loads are effective; which allows you to place your focus and maximum effort on your Agonist Pull Up or Chin.

Last edited:
That sounds a bit like the approach I've always taken to my training Kenny. I always alternated my presses with my pullups. When I was doing 90kg+ added weight pullups I was doing teacups before each set while spinning Baoding balls in my hands. That would have given the pectoral complex a good stretch and helped to switch them off so to speak as well. I've just got back to a +72kg pullup and an OAC for a single, maybe I should start doing the teacups again.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom