all posts post new thread

Kettlebell the difference between two handed 48 kg swings, and double 24 kg swings?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
The wider stance of the doubles makes a difference.
Wider Stance

The Wider Stance turns it into a slightly different exsercise.

There is a greater activation of the Glutes in Wide Stance Movements.

When you modify any exercise by changing your stance, as in a Narrow or Wide Stance Squat or in going from a Narrow to a Wide Grip Bench Press, muscle activation changes.

It is different.

You may find power output goes down if you don't do any training in a wide stance.

Power Output

It is measured in Watts. "...Power equals work divided by time (P = W / t)."

The amount of weight divided by how quickely (Speed of the Movement) determine Power Output.

Kettlebell Swing Power Output is shown to be optimal with loads of between one third to close to a Kettlebell that a lifter body weight.

This information has been posted multiple time on the StrongFirst forum.

1) 24 kg One Hand Swings

The Speed will increase out the hole with a Lighter Kettlebell.

That becasue of the lighter loading on the Glutes and Hamstrings.

Lighter Load develop "Starting Strength" (Dr Yuri Verkhoshansky/Fundamentals of Special Strength Training); greater Power out of the hole.

Think of "Starting Strength" as First Gear on your car or coming out of the Blocks in a Sprint.

2) 48 kg Two Hand Swing

The Speed will decrease in coming out of the hole with a Heavier Kettlebell.

That because you doubled the loading on the Glutes and Hamstrings.

Heavier Load develop "Explosive Strength" (Yuri Verkhoshansky); Power in the higher Range of the Swing.

Think of "Explosive Srength" as Second Gear on your car.

In this analogy, once you hit top speed in First Gear or after coming out the Blocks in a Sprint; you immdiately shift to the Next Gear. In this case Second Gear is "Explosive Strength".

Thus, the Training Load allows you to focus on which Strength you want/need to develop'; "Starting Strength" or "Explosive Strength".

Top End Force Production

The Top End Force Prodution in a 48 kg is substantially higher than a 24 kg Swing.s

What Peter said and Dbls. will pull you around a bit.

The Kettlebell Load

What "Pulls you around" is more about the load.

A 48 kg/105 lb Kettlebell Swing will pull you around more than a 24 kg/52 lb Kettlebell.

Personal Experience

I have performed "Kettlebell Swings" with a 170 lb Hungarian Core Blaster.

The Hugarian Core Blaster requried me to take a slightly Wider Stance.

The Top End Force Production at the apex of a 170 lb "Kettlebell Swing" with a Hungarian Core Blaster requres me to lay slightly backward to counter balance the forward pull.

Wider Stance

As with any new movement, there is a slight learning curve involved in a Wider Stance Swing.

With that said, I found that my Wider Heavier "Kettlebell Swings" with the Hungarian Core Blaster produced as much or slight more Power Output than a Narrower Stance.

That due to the greater activation of the Glutes; the largest, strongest, most Powerful Muscles that you have. Glute activation slightly increase when the toe are point out.

Last edited:
Wider Stance

The Wider Stance turn it into a slightly different exsercise.

There is a greater activation of the Glutes in Wide Stance Movements.

When you modify any exercise by changing your stance, as in a Narrow or Wide Stance Squat or in going from a Narrow to a Wide Grip Bench Press, muscle activation changes.

It is different.

Power Output

It is measured im Watts. "...Power equals work divided by time (P = W / t)."

The amount of weight divided by how quickely (Speed of the Movement) determine Power Output.

Kettlebell Swing Power Output is shown to be optimal with load of between one third to close to a Kettlebell that a lifter body weight.

This information has been posted multiple time on the StrongFirst forum.

1) 24 kg One Hand Swings

The Speed will increase with a Lighter Kettlebell.

That becasue of the lighter loading on the Glutes and Hamstrings.

2) 48 kg Two Hand Swing

The Speed will decrease with a Heavier Kettlebell.

That because you doubled the loading on the Glutes and Hamstrings.

Top End Force Production

The Top End Force Prodution in a 48 kg is substantially higher than a 24 kg Swing.s

The Kettlebell Load

What "Pulls you around" is more about the load.

A 48 kg/105 lb Kettlebell Swing will pull you around more than a 24 kg/52 lb Kettlebell.

Personal Experience

I have performed "Kettlebell Swings" with a 170 lb Hungarian Core Blaster.

The Hugarian Core Blaster requried me to take a slightly Wider Stance.

The Top End Force Production at the apex of a 170 lb "Kettlebell Swing" with a Hungarian Core Blaster requres me to lay slightly backward to counter balance the forward pull.

Wider Stance

As with any new movement, there is a slight learning curve involved in a Wider Stance Swing.

With that said, I found that my Wider Heavier "Kettlebell Swings" with the Hungarian Core Blaster produced as much or slight more Power Output than a Narrower Stance.

That due to the greater activation of the Glutes; the largest, strongest, most Powerful Muscles that you have. Glute activation slightly increase when the toe are point out.
Pulls you around more because you have a load in each hand, and 2 x 24 is 48.

Hello everyone. I wonder if there are any differences between two handed 48 kg swings, and double 24 kg swings?
I've found them largely interchangeable in my training. Big differences for me is stance, which for me effects what my hinge looks like. I don't find double swings terribly comfortable.

Banging two bells makes double swing a bit harder...
Another good hip hinge exercise is double swing with bells outside of your knees. I like it more than double swing :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom