all posts post new thread

Bodyweight The door pullup bar: an outstandingly versatile piece of equipement

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Marc

Level 6 Valued Member
Hello friends of strength,

just wanted to share my observation on the door pullup bar. I am referring to those products with an adjustable width. Most people think they are only good for pullups but due to the fact that you can easily adjust the height they offer a lot more:

-adjustable height to put your feet on: this comes in handy for pushups or pike pushups. Furthermore you can measure your progress very precisely by elevating the bar. Plus you have to put the laces of your feet/low shins on the bar (doesn't work with toes as you would fall over during the descent) which forces you to brace your midsection and therefore keep good form.

-use it for rows

-use it for triceps extensions

-use it to do pushup progressions onto: either regular or one arm

-use it as a "stool" for pistol squat progressions

-use it as an assistance for pistol squats by holding onto it. The lower the harder. Also a more narrow grip is harder. This is also great to use pistols as a high(er) rep exercise

-use it for dragon flags (progressions)

-use it for your posterior chain: by attaching it lower and hooking your heels under you can do nordic ham curl or natural hamstring curls.
You can also use it for back extensions:
Lie on your belly on a box or chair. Position the bar at the same hight as the chair or slightly higher and hook your heels under the bar. Then do back extensions

Anybody got some more to add?

Last edited:
Add a TRX and you could busy yourself for many rainy days.

I have gymnastic rings attached to my pullup bar (actually a plumbing pipe in the opening of the trap door to the attic). Great for pullups, dips, muscle ups, pushups ...

My doorway pull-up bar was the first bit of exercise equipment I ever used with any regularity and I still have the exact same one. It's now permanently installed above my stairs and I use it almost every day.

A TRX or gymnastic rings will add all kinds of other exciting options to meet all of your upper body training needs.

Why would anyone not want one?

Pretty much most stall bar type work can be applied with one of these bars

Pike compression are good IMO

I bought my second one (left the first at my parent's place) from the same manufacturer simply because it is great quality and reasonably priced (~25€).

Do you mind telling us the brand etc?

I don't know if it is aviable outside of Germany but similar products probably work equally as well.

I that home-spun GHD!! I tried something similar with a barbell on my rack and a swiss ball but the ROM was tiny and I wasn't fond of the wobble. Has me wondering if I can finagle that with stuff I have laying around the house...

I that home-spun GHD!! I tried something similar with a barbell on my rack and a swiss ball but the ROM was tiny and I wasn't fond of the wobble. Has me wondering if I can finagle that with stuff I have laying around the house...

In terms if anchoring your heels nothing comes close to the door pull up bar, in my experience.
I can really recommend this piece of equipement to anybody. Plus: It will allow you to do one if the most effective posterior chain exercises in existence: nordic ham curls.

I bought one of these recently for the 'hanging challenge' - dead hangs everyday for 30 days. Needless to say I've probably been to the gym once since getting it..

Very good piece of kit; can grease the groove in your own time with a lot of exercises!

I've got three installed at my home. One has gymnastics rings on it and another is mainly for my kids. I agree that it's one of the best things out there for exercising at home.

sorry to necro an older thread, but can anyone recommend one of these that's particularly good off Amazon in the US? quarantine measures ....
thank you!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom