all posts post new thread

Off-Topic The Fourty Days Workout Rep/Set Scheme

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

mikhael

Level 9 Valued Member
Hi.
Would somebody give me an answer regarding rep/set scheme in The Fourty Days Workout?
Is it constant 5/2, or I'm allowed to put into other schemes in accordance with The Rule of Ten?

I understand the rule of ten is the original point and I wouldn't worry about the exact scheme as long as it's easy.

I think I have seen two sets of five as "original" at some point.

Dan John has developed a more intricate rep scheme that varies day to day.

Some people have also found ladders useful, two rounds of 1-2-3.

I understand the rule of ten is the original point and I wouldn't worry about the exact scheme as long as it's easy.

I think I have seen two sets of five as "original" at some point.

Dan John has developed a more intricate rep scheme that varies day to day.

Some people have also found ladders useful, two rounds of 1-2-3.
That is why I'm a little confuse about the rep/set scheme. Which one should I use? This is my first time with the plan, though maybe 5/2 would be the best option?

That is why I'm a little confuse about the rep/set scheme. Which one should I use? This is my first time with the plan, though maybe 5/2 would be the best option?

Well no plan works forever without changing things so pick one now and try something else later. But I'm sure you can't go wrong with two sets of five.

The two sets of five was the original 40 day plan. Dan John, as mentioned developed some variations that I have tried and used successfully. Some google searching should find the exact rep scheme, but it is pretty straightforward using the basic 10 rep count.

I guess it depends on your preferences.
If you like simplicity, go with 2x5 (and read Power to the people for progression tactics).
If you like variety and flexibility just do whatever you feel like on any given day. Same but different: 2x5, 5x2, 3x3, 1234, 4231, 123123, 1x10, 6x1, 343. Stay within yourself.

And if you like variety and a straight plan, go with Even Easier Strength which is a 2-3 week plan variation.

Ok, I got this. One more thing, without creating new thread regarding ES, which exercises should be chosen?

In ES Dan did
  • Thick Bar DL
  • Incline Bench Press
  • Heavy Biceps Curls
  • KB Swings
  • AB Wheel
On the contrary in EES Even Easier Strength I read
  • Deadlift
  • Bench Press
  • Squat
  • Loaded Carry
  • AB Wheel
I'm considering those exercises
  • Thick Bar DL
  • Weighted Chest Dips
  • Pull-up
  • Back Squat
  • Hanging Leg Raises
... but I'm not sure if Pull-ups are good choice here, they are pulling exercise after all and I've already done DL.

Any tips?

No Squats at all?
Please read this blog post by Dan John
The Forty Day Workout...Again

Goblet Squats are usually the only squatting movement. The rationale is that back squats might be more difficult to recover from. He uses DL and press for barbell lifts. But I can't find the quote I am looking for.

That being said, some folks have used squats successfully on EES, as far as I know deprioritizing other stuff.

@Harald Motz does Zercher Squats and BB military press Easy Strength style, combined with KB ballistics (S&S, Q&D, or A+A) and easy aerobic work (slow jogging and rowing) and some mace work and stuff like that.

Goblet Squats are usually the only squatting movement. The rationale is that back squats might be more difficult to recover from. He uses DL and press for barbell lifts. But I can't find the quote I am looking for.

That being said, some folks have used squats successfully on EES, as far as I know deprioritizing other stuff.

@Harald Motz does Zercher Squats and BB military press Easy Strength style, combined with KB ballistics (S&S, Q&D, or A+A) and easy aerobic work (slow jogging and rowing) and some mace work and stuff like that.

I've always found deadlifts WAY harder to recover from. I can squat at relatively high percentages of my RM pretty much daily with no problem.

Provided I'm squatting frequently, I can progress my deadlift pulling once a fortnight or so.

I read it, and... will follow:
  • Deadlift
  • Chest Dips
  • Pull-ups
  • KB Swings
  • Hanging Leg Raise
... for the next 40 workouts.

I've always found deadlifts WAY harder to recover from. I can squat at relatively high percentages of my RM pretty much daily with no problem.
I justed wanted to pass on Dan John's opinion :)

Yeah, it is probably also individual. And Sq and DL heavily loaded are probably too much together. In Tactical Barbell (which has a lot of similarities to ES) DLs are usually only done 1x5 once per week, maybe 3x5 on one day or 1x5 on 2-3 days or so at most. For example 3x peer week Back Sq and Bench, 2x peer week followed by weighted pullups and once per week followed by low volume DLs. Combine this with 2 days of S&S maintenance or 044 snatches and I think this is a great Easy Strengthish template. Maybe a nice ruck on Saturday and 4000+ steps per day for basic cardio.

From reading Pavel's "best exercise" series I took that swings + Zercher Squats (only breaking parallel) are a great combo for limit strength and conditioning - even for maintaining DLs.

Last edited:
For example 3x peer week Back Sq and Bench, 2x peer week followed by weighted pullups and once per week followed by low volume DLs. Combine this with 2 days of S&S maintenance or 044 snatches and I think this is a great Easy Strengthish template. Maybe a nice ruck on Saturday and 4000+ steps per day for basic cardio.
This one looks good. Will try ES first and see how it will works.

I justed wanted to pass on Dan John's opinion :)

Yeah, it is probably also individual. And Sq and DL heavily loaded are probably too much together. In Tactical Barbell (which has a lot of similarities to ES) DLs are usually only done 1x5 once per week, maybe 3x5 on one day or 1x5 on 2-3 days or so at most. For example 3x peer week Back Sq and Bench, 2x peer week followed by weighted pullups and once per week followed by low volume DLs. Combine this with 2 days of S&S maintenance or 044 snatches and I think this is a great Easy Strengthish template. Maybe a nice ruck on Saturday and 4000+ steps per day for basic cardio.

From reading Pavel's "best exercise" series I took that swings + Zercher Squats (only breaking parallel) are a great combo for limit strength and conditioning - even for maintaining DLs.

I used to switch clusters every three cycles. Don't get me wrong, the squat-bench-chin combo is fantastic, but I need a bit more variety (Zulu template is better, but I can't spend four days a week lifting, unless it's a truly low fatigue program).

I used to switch clusters every three cycles. Don't get me wrong, the squat-bench-chin combo is fantastic, but I need a bit more variety (Zulu template is better, but I can't spend four days a week lifting, unless it's a truly low fatigue program).
DL-SQ-Pull-ups-Dips, this might be a little overhelming, but I'm still considering it? I'm not sure if DL and Swings on the same session would be a good option?

DL-SQ-Pull-ups-Dips, this might be a little overhelming, but I'm still considering it? I'm not sure if DL and Swings on the same session would be a good option?

I think it would be too much.

I'd rather do a couple of cycles of squat-row-dips plus heavy swings and switch to deadlift-bench-chins plus loaded carries.

But give your cluster a try anyway. It might work for you.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom