all posts post new thread

Nutrition 'The Game Changers' Documentary

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
And there are many vegan/vegetarian liars who claim that their diet is magical and help a bunch of things.
To be fair, every diet out there seems to have it's disciples.

Except the "My Plate" diet from the USDA... For some reason nobody pushes that aggressively. You would think "eat a lot of different veggies, a few fruits, varied lean meats, yogurt, and avoid refined grains" would catch on.

And there are many vegan/vegetarian liars who claim that their diet is magical and help a bunch of things.
Nothing magical about it: Fruit and vegetables are rich in fibre and vitamins and can make a big difference to someone whose diet has been lacking those things. For some people, a radical change in eating habits is the catalyst to actually paying attention to what they eat and learning a thing or two about nutrition.

In a lot of cases, "I went vegan and I felt so much better," equates to "I stopped eating garbage and actually ate some real food and I felt so much better,".

There are definitely a lot of cranks out there who make bizarre claims about the health benefits of fairly extreme diets (from living entirely off bananas to drinking their own unrine) and that doesn't really help anyone make responsible or sustainable dietary choices.

As a committed vegan, I feel rather bad for saying that it's probably not the absolute best choice of diet if your chief concern is gaining lean muscle mass (although it's certainly possible). I feel like trying to persuade people to adopt a plant-based lifestyle for reasons other than ethical and environmental concerns is generally a tall order as those are usually the main reasons for most people who become and stay vegetarian/vegan.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

In a lot of cases, "I went vegan and I felt so much better," equates to "I stopped eating garbage and actually ate some real food and I felt so much better,".

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Even though I am a rank amateur to this stuff compared the rest of the group here, cutting out sugar and processed food is 75% of the battle in my experience. Not saying one can't indulge in a few slices of pizza every once and again, but ordering off the dollar menu everyday ain't gonna help with your goals....

Fruit and vegetables are rich in fibre and vitamins and can make a big difference to someone whose diet has been lacking those things.
The Need for Fiber is Questionalbe

The information regarding the need for much fiber is quationalble.

It's somewhat like cholesterol's villification back with Ancel Keys in, circa 1960s.

The exception is that it appears the need for fiber has been greaterly over rated.

Let's look at...

Constipation

This chart resrach demonstrated the less fiber was more effective at regular bowl movements than higher fiber.

1618920741031.png

Dr. Paul Mason - 'from fibre to the microbiome: low carb gut health'

Mason examine the misinformation on the need for fibre in this presentation.

Is Fiber Bad For You?
The Top 12 Myths And The Real Truth About Whether Fiber Is Killing Your Insides.
Is Fiber Bad For You?

This article examines more of the myths of fiber.

Dr. Zoë Harcombe - 'What about fiber?'

Harcombe's presention examine the misinforamtion that continues to be perpetuated regarding fiber intake.
committed vegan,

Vegan Diet Issue

One of the primary issues with the Vegan Diet is protein quality.

Vegan Protein are inferior to animal proteins. A couple of exceptions appear to be Soy Protein. Soy Protein has a bit of a negative stigma it; which I am on the fence about.

Pea Protein is one of the other quality proteins.

However, since most individual consume real vegan foods, it difficult to obtain enought quality protein.

As an example, to obtain enought protein in one beans and rice meal, an individual would need to consume two (2) cup. Beans and rice are great but having two (2) cups as a serving is a bit much.

The Low Leucine Issue of Plant Protein

The main issue with Plant Protein is they are low in Leucine; the amino acid responsible for triggering an anabolic, muscle building effect (mTOR).

Dr. Layne Norton's Research

One of the lowest form of protein is wheat.

Research by Norton determined that if Leucine was used to spike or was taken with low vegan protein,like wheat, it elicited the same anabolic effect as consuming Whey Protein.

Whey is consider the Anabolic Protein due to it high level of Leucine.

Added leucine makes wheat protein as anabolic as whey

"Nutritionists at the University of Illinois wrote in Nutrition & Metabolism about the animal study they performed in which wheat protein became as anabolic as whey after leucine was added to it."

Conclusion

Norton's findings are interesting for the growing number of vegan bodybuilders. If they are able to find vegan leucine, they would be able to boost considerably the anabolic effect of the plant-based proteins they consume.

Restrictive Diets

Any Diet that restrict certain foods present some issue that need to be address to ensure it works.

Due to a metabolic condition, I* have been on a Ketogenic Diet since July 2016.

So, I aware issues of the Keto Diet and how to address them.

As an example, I one is that I need to consume more sodium. Part of that my sodium plan is that I have Chicken Bullion in the mornings; which has 800 mg of sodium and around 200 gram of potassium.

@kennycro@@aol.com Interesting info on dietary fiber!

Vegan Protein are inferior to animal proteins. A couple of exceptions appear to be Soy Protein. Soy Protein has a bit of a negative stigma it; which I am on the fence about.
Soya seems to have had a rough time recently but there seems to be virtually no evidence to support the claims that it has a 'feminising' effect on males. I'd be interested to know what you make of the following article:

Soya seems to have had a rough time recently but there seems to be virtually no evidence to support the claims that it has a 'feminising' effect on males. I'd be interested to know what you make of the following article:
Soy has had long time, rough time.

The Soy Protein Protein digestibility-corrected amino acid score (PDCAAS) is in the samed top rated category as Whey, Egg, and Casein, as you know.

Soy appears to me to be one of the better proteins and the price is good.

Pea Protein looks good, as well.

However, my issue with Pea Protein is the price.

Thanks for the article.

@kennycro@@aol.com Interesting info on dietary fiber!

There is absolutely no hard evidence that soy has any sort of feminizing effect on men (or women). On top of that, cows milk has far more estrogen compounds than soy.

Interestingly, Bob Hoffman of the York Barbell Club was among the first to market protein supplements and opted for Soy:

His approach was less than scientific, apparently, and the product was not great but it was popular enough. It's hard to imagine marketing a soy-based product to gym rats nowadays.

I used to buy soy protein in bulk and found it made for very filling and rather good smoothies. I might have to do some research and see if I can find a good source as I've been buying rather more expensive products of late and the only real difference I've noticed is the cost.

Funny you say that, because predominantly plant based diet has helped a lot of my ailments, including inflammation of the joints, mental health and overall sense of wellbeing. Diet is all trial and error. I have tried the all or nothing approach and I think this is where a lot of people get stuck. Moderation is key. Eating meat everyday is not good for you, but that's not to say you should eat nothing but bananas and soybeans.

Not many people follow evidenced based dietary recommendations.
Eat more veg, limit sugar and fat. 2000cal for a woman or 2400 cal for a bloke.
All a bit dull. Needs sexing up for it to qualify as an insta lifestyle.
Agreed. If my diet description doesn’t include the words ONLY _____ or ZERO____, no thanks :)

Three things I base my diet on:

1. Mongol raiders subsisted on large amounts of animal products and were known for their tremendous physical energy and ability to go for long periods without eating. Their more plant based opponents were outclassed physically and by their need to eat more often.

2. Many great Islamic victories during Ramadam.

3. Following 1 and 2 makes me feel great. In fact after my one feasting period per day (so long as I space things out enough not to make myself sick...and even then honestly), I also get this very notable high...not like a sugar rush at all...kinda like the opposite of a sugar rush.

1. Mongol raiders subsisted on large amounts of animal products and were known for their tremendous physical energy and ability to go for long periods without eating. Their more plant based opponents were outclassed physically and by their need to eat more often.
- They drink animal blood. Like horse blood. Raw
- Their empire is there for about 100 years? and then they fade away into history. Their opposite in the south, like China, is still a powerhouse for a long time.
- Mongol lost in Vietnam and in Japan. The 1st is probably because of the weather (they actually tried to invade Vietnam 3 times but they felt every time). The 2nd is because a tsunami destroyed their navy. Both Vietnam and Japan still consume rice today. Does it mean rice is superior to animal food in war? Probably no. What I mean is it's very inaccuracy to judge a subject with just a small piece of information like that.
- To be more clearly, how exactly the Mongol outclass their opponents by their physical? Some of their strategies include: poison the water of their enemy, using light calvary to hold a surprise attack and terror the enemy. Many time their opponents are fear and unprepared. Their blood thirst gives them more success than animal product.
2. Many great Islamic victories during Ramadam.
Is it a matter of fasting or the matter of believe? Like during that time, they fight harder and smarter because of lack of food and drink or because of the feeling of holiness during Ramadam?

Following 1 and 2 makes me feel great.
Congrat, keep it going.

Funny you say that, because predominantly plant based diet has helped a lot of my ailments, including inflammation of the joints, mental health and overall sense of wellbeing
What is funny, please clarify.

FYI, I had been a vegetarian in the past for few months (May 2019 to Octorber 2019). Also in the past, a strict-traditional macrobiotic which includes very little animal product and no supplement( <10% total calories, for example). It gains me many perceptions about the body, the mind and emotion. Also it's great on the budget. I lost some muscle mass and strength, for 70 kg to 63-64 kg. That's a sacrifice I made during that time to have a better mentally health. So I believe I have enough authority to discuss about vegetarian/vegan and their downside.

'A recent popular vegan propaganda film' - One man's propaganda is another man's fact, in this world.

My view - I could give up meat (although less inclined to give up fish) but eggs and milk can be pried from my proverbial cold, dead hands.
I dislike the idea of having to buy something to supplement a diet that could be gained in regular foods.
RE: Fibre, prune juice will cleanse an organism as well as any medication.

So I believe I have enough authority to discuss about vegetarian/vegan and their downside.
As far as it pertains to your own experience, yes.

I've been vegan for 10 years now and I wouldn't say I have any real authority; I just know what's worked/not worked for me.

Pretty sure they would have eaten whatever was available at the time and still been ferocious by necessity. Unless you spend your days riding across the steppes and launching raids then I don't know why the Mongol raiders would be your model of success. That being said, if it works, it works!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom