all posts post new thread

Nutrition 'The Game Changers' Documentary

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Growth rate has slowed below replacement rate, so once existing reproductive-age population is done reproducing (population grows until then), population levels off and then declines (even as rate is positive - but below the rate it needs to be to maintain a stable population).

Musicians and statistics... There is no contradiction. Say your income tripled two years ago, doubled a year later and increased by 20% this year. It grew by 200%, then by 100%, and 20% after that. Growth - the rate of change - plummeted from 200% to 20% while income increased.

@Van Der Merve, the rate of change in your scenario does not interest me. How much income I have does, but the rate at which my income changes seems just a number. That growth rate of change - that doesn’t put food on my table or buy me a new cello.

-S-

@Van Der Merve, the rate of change in your scenario does not interest me. How much income I have does, but the rate at which my income changes seems just a number. That growth rate of change - that doesn’t put food on my table or buy me a new cello.

-S-

Growth rate is relevant in the appropriate context. It's basic business management. Growth rate is one of the most important factors that determine share price in the stock market, for example. For you it may be very relevant if it falls behind the inflation rate, in which case your ability to place food on the table can be compromised. The case of looking a little deeper than the surface.

John Allen Paulos coined the term "innumeracy" and wrote the book with the same title. It is a good primer on looking at numbers the right way.

414Y-nkiqNL.jpg

Last edited:
I think a key point to take away from it, is that it debunks the myth that we can’t survive without animal products, because we clearly can.

I would have thought that there weren't that many people out there who would still debate that animal products are a dietary necessity given the abundance of evidence from various sources to the contrary.

I doubt that anyone would argue that a hamburger is 'necessary' and yet they will eat it anyway. Within the so-called 'Western world', so few dietary choices are made out of necessity and yet, there is mounting evidence to suggest that a move away from the consumption of animal produce could indeed become necessary from an environmental standpoint.

Much as I really wasn't impressed by that documentary, it certainly got a lot of people thinking and talking and that's definitely worth something.

We can certainly survive without animal products. We can also survive without vegetables (most of the U.S. does). The question is: how can we best THRIVE? From that POV, while it has solid entertainment value and fun one-off anecdotes, Game Changers didn’t resolve this at all.

On the environmental impact, Robb Wolf has a new book coming out called The Sacred Cow based on 4 years of research. Looking forward to reading it as I have appreciated his perspective over the years.

Growth rate has slowed below replacement rate, so once existing reproductive-age population is done reproducing (population grows until then), population levels off and then declines (even as rate is positive - but below the rate it needs to be to maintain a stable population).

Seems like a better solution than trying to convert an entire planet of omnivores who are, I might add, omnivorous by nature.

Not to bring back a zombie thread but this came up on my Roku feed and I am just about finished watching it. I see some real good points and a few I would want to research first.

Fancy seeing Arnie as a plant-based athlete at his age!

Not to bring back a zombie thread but this came up on my Roku feed and I am just about finished watching it. I see some real good points and a few I would want to research first.

Arnie is a friend of Cameron's, guessing he goes plant based for two hours one day a week.

Last edited:

It is a classic netflix nutrition documentary research structure. Cherry pick research and ignore a huge volume of work that shows the same, if not better, results with different diets.

That said.. going vegan can be healthy and you can excel at performance. The whole foods plant based diet touted by the doctor in the documentary is what I would count as a pretty damn healthy diet. And frankly his hummus vegan pizza is delicious.

But is it more so than plain old "My Plate Gubment style" diet? I haven't seen anything to suggest that is true outside of theoretical ideas with little empirical evidence to support them.

Don't knock it till you've tried it.
First, the critical comment is about the documentary - not vegetarianism or veganism per se.
Second, I was a vegetarian for about 6 years.
Third, as mentioned, I have many vegan/vegetarian friends, and totally respect their diet choices.

Wasn't targeting you specifically, I just find in general a lot of people have much to say on vegan diets with regards to things they've read on the Internet, but no real experience with it themselves.

I personally added eggs back into my diet and have noticed a resurgence of some lost lean body mass.

Wasn't targeting you specifically, I just find in general a lot of people have much to say on vegan diets with regards to things they've read on the Internet, but no real experience with it themselves.

I personally added eggs back into my diet and have noticed a resurgence of some lost lean body mass.
And there are many vegan/vegetarian liars who claim that their diet is magical and help a bunch of things.

In my experience with vegetarian diet there was no difference in energy levels, ability to put on lean weight (I regained about 25lbs in that timeframe approx 2 years) or any other metric. But...eating meat and animal products makes nutrition very easy by comparison, esp if one is trying to gain mass.

Last edited:
And there are many vegan/vegetarian liars who claim that their diet is magical and help a bunch of things.
I think you could say the same re just about all restrictive diets out there - vegan, keto, warrior, IF, etc etc.

One could also say that there are many who genuinely did see an improvement. Let's face it, if what you were doing previous was working well, you wouldn't be making drastic changes. And if you attempted to go vegan for strong moral reasons you'd probably experience an almost religious-inspired sense of well-being if you were successful - "everything feels better"

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom