all posts post new thread

Bodyweight The Great Gama Protocol (GPP)

Hi Pavel.

I am an Indian and have done these exercises in the traditional training arenas, the dangal or akhara as we call them. Your name of "youth-restoring calisthenics" is well chosen.

When I was 16-17, I tried a bridge (after seeing an actress do it in a movie) and messed up my back, specifically the left shoulder blade. I had pain in it for more than a year. X-rays didn't show anything. It was a kind of dull pain that would wax and wane. I tried some topical pain relievers but there was no relief. I even tried some traditional osteopath treatments as well, but they required a lot of prep and I couldn't use them regularly. The pain remained. Eventually, I got fed up and started doing Indian pushups (what you call Hindu pushups) and the pain cleared up literally within days. Years later I busted up my knee and front squats came to my rescue, but that is a different story.

This was before I joined the dangal. I joined one in my graduation years and enjoyed it. My only gripe was the lower body work. Reps upon reps and no progression. Some guys would hold a dumbbell in each hand and elevate their heels on a weight plate or something. But not enough.

There the rule was you couldn't enter the wrestling pit unless you could do 500 Hindu squats - in a row. I went up to 300, as I remember it now, and started having pain just below the calf. Went up to the coach, a grizzled wrestler, insanely strong old man, and told him about it and he said that the pain will be there and I should learn to live with it. That put me off and as life moved on, I didn't try to keep up. Overall, it was a good experience and I learned about myself a lot.

It is really strange that in India Gama is a household name but nobody uses his exercises. Nowadays everybody wants to use machines because they are safer. Anyways, good luck with this endeavor of yours sir.

Great post, thank you!

"Youth-restoring calisthenics" is a term used by Pavel in Super-Joints, and I think it fits the bill perfectly. I have spent a lot of time thinking about programming. As for the number of reps: not enough = no results. Many people are also avoiding "toes over knees" squats - and they should do some.

On the other hand - too much = not necessarily better results, and possibly overuse injuries.

GGP is about "minimum effective dose".

Just a small question. Is there any special merit to knees over toes squat? Why should people do it?

Just a small question. Is there any special merit to knees over toes squat? Why should people do it?

I will answer, I promise, but I am curious - what do you think?

@Pavel Macek 3 weeks today and feeling fantastic! I’ve only missed one or two mornings but made up for it later in the day - it’s become the first thing I think about when I wake up. Well, second... coffee :)

Excellent! Actually, i was just thinking this morning that I am always looking forward to my morning GGP recharge. Check out the course, I have added a small bonus download, and I am working on a few more. That is the cool thing about online stuff - updates, extras, etc. - are so easy. Also, feel free to post a video, or any questions regarding the program. Last thing, I am planning a free GGP webinar soon.

Excellent! Actually, i was just thinking this morning that I am always looking forward to my morning GGP recharge. Check out the course, I have added a small bonus download, and I am working on a few more. That is the cool thing about online stuff - updates, extras, etc. - are so easy. Also, feel free to post a video, or any questions regarding the program. Last thing, I am planning a free GGP webinar soon.
Thank you! Is it the Vintage Images download?

Looking forward to more adds!

Not an exercise expert by any stretch of imagination.

Knees over toes squats are typically done on the toes (at least the Indian version is) which strengthens - up to a certain point - in a different manner?

The motion is rhythmic, which other squats are definitely not, so that may be another advantage.

Also, the rhythmic motion works almost like a bellows which is good for cardio purposes. Again up to a certain point.

Did I miss anything (sarcasm)?

Would definitely love to hear your reasons.

From p.22 of the GGP manual:
"The arm swings reintroduce - well, the arm swings - from the introductory exercises. Apart from helping with the overall rhythm and Hindu squat pattern, they will relax the shoulder and whole upper body after Hindu pushups.
Notice as well that the arm movement coordinated with the squat is actually a jump pattern - shoulders go into extension, hips go to flexion."

On top of these two reasons, my guess - informed by two weeks of almost daily Baithak practice - would be something to do with "un-rooted" feet and dynamic balance, and how hi-rep rhythmic knees-over-toes squats strengthen the tendons and stabilizing muscles of the foot, ankle and lower leg

Answer to the question above - all the reasons you have mentioned, and more: great knee prehab exercise, great for combat sports (think penetration step/knee drop in the double or single leg takedown), running, jumping, climbing, moving on your toes in boxing and other combat sports. For multiple reps, it is way less demanding as for the ankle mobility (which will interestingly improve according to my experience), it is easier to maintain the (close to) vertical torso position, maintain the rhythm, etc. etc. Excellent complimentary exercise to regular kettlebell/barbell squats - that's what I do.

Short update:
- .pdf download with some cool old school pics added
- .pdf log for the "GGP: Morning recharge" added - 6 months step-by-step progression, outlined in the manual, + blank pages
- last but not least, I will run a free webinar, this Sunday, 5PM CEST, live Facebook stream > [FREE WEBINAR] GGP: The Great Gama Protocol

Answer to the question above - all the reasons you have mentioned, and more: great knee prehab exercise, great for combat sports (think penetration step/knee drop in the double or single leg takedown), running, jumping, climbing, moving on your toes in boxing and other combat sports. For multiple reps, it is way less demanding as for the ankle mobility (which will interestingly improve according to my experience), it is easier to maintain the (close to) vertical torso position, maintain the rhythm, etc. etc. Excellent complimentary exercise to regular kettlebell/barbell squats - that's what I do.

Great reasons. Had never thought about its efficacy for combat sports. Thanks for the reply.

@Pavel Macek perhaps you answer this in the manual to your course, but what is the rational to the age = reps formula? I am curious. I love the concept of daily training, as I grew up doing traditional kung-fu.

@Pavel Macek perhaps you answer this in the manual to your course, but what is the rational to the age = reps formula? I am curious. I love the concept of daily training, as I grew up doing traditional kung-fu.

Pavel's tip (originally featured in Super-Joints) - the older you are, the more you gotta move. Brain development (or decline) goes hand in hand with movement development and maintenance. The same goes for (loaded) mobility, basic strength, flexibility. I am looking forward to do my 120 reps one day :)

@Pavel Macek, I have purchased the GGP and over the past 5 weeks have seen great results implementing the movements after my daily strength training so thank you for putting it together!

My question is; for long term knee health, which is better out of 1 - high rep Hindu squats as per GGP protocol or 2 - lower rep Hack squats as per SF resilient series?

Thank you in advance!

Back
Top Bottom