all posts post new thread

Kettlebell The highest number of swings you’ve done in one set

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Cochran

Level 2 Valued Member
The title says it all - I’m curious how many reps you’ve gotten in a set of nonstop swings, and with what amount of weight.

Yesterday I got 55 with 28kg. My wind gave our before my grip.

Oh man, Tracy Reifkind used to have some videos on youtube where she would build up some crazy volume in a single set by switching hands. It would go like this:

10 2h + 10R + 10 2h + 10L + 10 2h + 10L + 10 2h + 10 R + 10 2h = 90 reps

I used to follow along to her workouts and I'm pretty sure I've done sets that were close to 200 reps. That lady is a beast.

I did 300 reps with 16 kg one time. It's not bad once you settle into a rhythm, have a manageable weight, and tone down the tension.

Back when S&S had the "nonstop swings once every 2 weeks" (it was in the original program, before the current "revised and updated" version), I got 150 with 20 kg, - video from 2014

@Anna C Did you lay down and die afterward?

It's not as bad as a snatch test, really. But then, like a snatch test, different people have different weaknesses: "guns, buns, or lungs" as Dan John says. Either local muscular failure, or fatigue and losing power with the hip hinge, or just exceeding your cardiovascular capacity... often times one of these will be first and will limit you, and it varies from one person to another which of these it is. Mine always seemed to be relatively equal and all give out about the same time.

I did 300 reps with 16 kg one time. It's not bad once you settle into a rhythm, have a manageable weight, and tone down the tension.

Back when S&S had the "nonstop swings once every 2 weeks" (it was in the original program, before the current "revised and updated" version), I got 150 with 20 kg, - video from 2014
Awesome memories!! Did I shoot that video or was it Al Ciampa?

Sometime after I achieved Simple (timed) and I was working with 36kg, on one of those random Fridays where Pavel says flip the crazy switch; I did 100 straight with the 24kg. That was all I wanted on that day.

Awesome memories!! Did I shoot that video or was it Al Ciampa?
I think tripod... I just went outside solo and got in the zone. I did like that little side yard at the gym!

I’ve done 100 with a 32kg changing hands every 10 reps. I think it’s been more with my 25kg. I did Bud Jeffries swing odyssey like 15 years ago and 100 without stopping would be my first set. I worked up to 800 1 arm swings with my 25kg and 600 with the 32kg. However after my initial 100 the sets would diminish quite a bit. By the end I was lucky if I could hold on for sets of 10. I quit before achieving the numbers he did as I was getting weird metabolic affects. Heart suddenly racing. I’d barely move and be drenched in sweat. Was fun while it lasted.

Last edited:
5m 40s -> 200 swings with 12kg. 1000 total that day. Left hand grip is what is a bottleneck for me.

On a different day also did 1000 12kg swings in 49m in sets of 100. Longest set with 16kg is ~ 70.

I started working with KB in March, and have never done weights before. BW of 62kg.

I did Bud Jeffries swing odyssey like 15 years ago and 100 without stopping would be my first set.
Same here - Got his books as well.

Decided Saturdays are going to be volume days. This week did non stop 20mins of alternating 16kg swings & 5kg mace 10-2 - was fun as well!

Same here - Got his books as well.

Decided Saturdays are going to be volume days. This week did non stop 20mins of alternating 16kg swings & 5kg mace 10-2 - was fun as well!
Those mace swings kill me. I was getting them the other day but I’ve started muscling it again.

I'm thinking ballistic for posterior = swings, ballistic for upper body = mace..

Will eventually learn and add ab wheel rolls = similar (though not ballistic) movement for core & front

A long non stop complex of those three should be fun! Hits every muscle in the body..

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom