all posts post new thread

Bodyweight The hollow position pullup alternative

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

John Kowalski

Level 2 Valued Member
Another article from the same author, this time about pullup mechanics: Fix Your Pullups with the Trap Bar

Basically, the tip is to avoid excessive range of motion, it prevents you from internally rotating and protracting the scapula. For the last few years I did pullups in a typical way - until the chin was over the bar and I was fine, but recently my elbows and shoulders started bothering me. Another drawback was the posture problem - I had to put myself for a corrective/mobility circuit after every chinning session so I could stand upright... After implementing his principles for the upper body training my joints are painfree, the pullup feels more comfortable and even though the rom is shortened, the exercise is actually more difficult! I know that his squat theories could be wrong, but the upper body stuff really makes sense and it works for me. Try this out and let me know what you think.

Hello,

To compensate the reduced ROM, it is possible to use slow rep (for instance 30s up, 30s down)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Another alternative would be to hold the top position for a few seconds, hold mid position for a few seconds and don't go all the way down

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom