all posts post new thread

Kettlebell The importance of the clean

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Rayhzel

Level 3 Valued Member
I am in pursuit of a beast press. Right now I am working the S&T program with a 32kg.
Earlier this week I was struggling a bit making the presses.

Today I remembered myself the importance of the clean. I told myself to do my clean sharper and more powerful and up went the kettlebell without trouble. I only seem to have this problem of lazy cleans on my left though. Heavier lifts just exposes this.

Anyways what I want to share with others is, if you find you're self hitting a plateau with presses, you might have to focus on what is happening before the press instead of the press itself.

Excellent!! I find myself frequently telling trainees that the clean "loads" the press: sharp clean / sharp press!!

@Rayhzel

I hear you. My left "strong" arm lags far behind my right "stronger" . I have also focused on the clean, and on gripping with the little finger and a small 'gooseneck' to my wrist position, and it has seemed to help. Good luck!

Think this applies to all strength movements really -

*walking out a squat
*unracking a bench

putting yourself in a solid tight position with the minimal amount of energy expenditure always sets you up for a stronger movement. Definitely an area I could improve on pressing

Its also crucial to position the handle correctly for the press at the finish of the clean. I really prefer to press from the small bone in the corner of my palm under my pinkie. If I don't quite get it lined up correctly it definitely makes my press weaker.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom