all posts post new thread

Kettlebell The King-Sized Killer

DrG

Level 2 Valued Member
Hello to all,
I would like to spend some time on the snatch on an EDT mode. The King-Sized Killer program from Kettlebell Express seems to fit my goals. I haven't found much feedback on the forum, but I imagine it will be good :)!
Have any of you experienced it? With what feeling and results? (I plan to continue eating like a bear during this period).
I plan to work on my snatch single technique during my warm up for the last 3 weeks of The Wolf (damned complexes!!) before I attack.
Thanks for your feedback!

I run it from November till end of January. I actually was the same as yourself I run Wolf then went to KSK. One of my favourite GN programs. I run with a view to cracking the snatch test with 32kg. I incorporated bent press practice as a side dish but the snatch was the main movement.
Few observations:
The volume is considerable. Hand care is important. I hadn’t snatched in a few months but after 3/4 sessions my hands became accustomed to the volume.
I used chalk and used bio mechanical breathing in phase 1 and 2. In phase 3 needed to use a double breath.
Used the wall drill (heavy bag) to tame the arc. With higher numbers you’ll need this.
The singular focus on one movement is great. I normally run music in the background. I didn’t with this. I wanted to try to adapt a meditative practice and focus on recovery breathing between sets. The snatch is such a technical lift. Each session I would come in with a focus: punch through, breathing, the drop and try to develop.
Even though it’s EDT I didn’t push the envelope preferring to auto regulate. I run this on MWF format with BJJ on Tuesday Thursday.
I felt really well conditioned on the mats and strong. Did a 5 hour mountain walk at the end of phase 1 with little difficulty.
Totally different type of fatigue that’s generated with the wolf. Phase 3 is brutal. I will run this program again this year. I planned to test snatch at the end of each phase but had to drop as was tired from training and other pressures.
Very simple program , but not easy. This program is probably my desert island program… Good luck with your training.

Excellent and complete feedback! Thank you
Same timing, same goals: I have a very long walk planned after phase 2. I'm combining a rucking outing on the weekend.
With a few warm-up tests I have a 5 TRM without forcing too much with the 32kg. Maybe some easy strength dips to complete it and it will be perfect.
It's going to be tough...

Another question: do you have to do the repetitions on each side before putting the bell back or is a rest between the 2 allowed? If there is no rest, maybe reverse the sides from one session to the other?
Which one is better?
Thanks

I think what threw me off many times when wanting to start it was Geoff's recommendation of using a 7 or 8 RM bell. I wasn't quite sure which one to use. Finally I went conservatively for me at that point and used a 32. I now realize he means with great form and power.

I noticed now in his 102 workout thing he refers to weight used as a "heavyish" bell in a lot if his programs. Has I read that years ago, I'd have done it earlier.

@JohnK maybe 1.0 -> 3.0 -> 2.0 ?
Good idea. For some reason I have two copies of Express, and one copy (that I normally look at) apparently doesn't have 3.0. I can't change anything for another 10 weeks, but after that I'll run 1.0, test, and see where I'm at.

I’m starting this today. 24kg is my 7RM for snatches. The idea of doing 15 reps with it starting in week 7 is a little daunting, to say the least.

KSK is designed pretty similar to Long Cycle of Death. The 3 phases, the rep scheme, etc. I found great improvements in a lot of things after I was done with the Long Cycle program. At the time my snatch technique was not up to the mark and never thought I could take it up. But maybe I should book mark this for a run some time during this year.

Think I’ll slot this one in the spring - warm enough to do it outside, but early enough before humidity sets in.
Good plan. Whenever I add a lot of snatching I think to myself I could do it forever......then the summer hits and my hands get ripped up badly!

And based on my experience, I always go conservative to the bell size that Geoff recommends. As it gets really tough towards the end of the program with the recommended weights. To avoid risk of injury I try to keep it conservative.

Back
Top Bottom