all posts post new thread

Kettlebell The King-Sized Killer

No. The Olympic programs are different: different combination of exercises, different rep schemes, different session length, different recommended bell size.

The Giant programs are not in the earlier version of Express (the one with 49 programs). It's in the Express Reloaded version with 100 programs, and also as a standalone product.
As Geoff’s emails indicate, Express Reloaded is going to be retired in 3 days so anyone that wants it better buy it now if you want the 100 programs.

I just tested out a day one of the king size killer yesterday and I wasn’t sure what size bell to use. I can snatch a 32 but I was thinking more along the lines of a 24 its about my 8 to 10 rep max. After doing that first day as a sample I’m definitely going to go with the 24. I haven’t snatched very much in the past year as I’ve pretty much only ran the giant and a bunch of different variations and let me tell you my biceps, shoulders, glutes, and traps were all feeling it today lol. I was able
to get 90 reps I’ll probably start it Monday. Thinking of supplementing my off days with some loaded carries.

I just tested out a day one of the king size killer yesterday and I wasn’t sure what size bell to use. I can snatch a 32 but I was thinking more along the lines of a 24 its about my 8 to 10 rep max. After doing that first day as a sample I’m definitely going to go with the 24. I haven’t snatched very much in the past year as I’ve pretty much only ran the giant and a bunch of different variations and let me tell you my biceps, shoulders, glutes, and traps were all feeling it today lol. I was able
to get 90 reps I’ll probably start it Monday. Thinking of supplementing my off days with some loaded carries.
Yup....I think that's a good choice. If you notice in one of his free giveaways from his site he has a "king size killer" workout and he recommends a "heavyish" kettlebell and not one with a given rep range. I like that better in my mind. Trust me, you'll appreciate it in phase 3! Especially if you're doing one hand followed by the other!

I’m rediscovering the potency of snatches. The first thing I noticed with KSK was my appetite going through the roof and my running has became a lot easier in terms of how knackered I get, how hard I breathe etc. I throw in dips and chins after KSK too because I love dips and chins. I think this, with long cycle of death and the giant in the dark Scottish winter months is going to be my bread and butter for a long time.

I finally started KSK with a 32 (12RM right, 9 left).
My hands suffered on the first session, probably due to too much chalk.
Tough. Finally, linking the 2 sides is not so bad, at least for this first phase! The cardio goes up a lot. 3 ladders + 2 reps later I was happy that the 20 minutes were over.
I'll try to add some dips to keep the gains of the Push-Pull reverse.

I finally started KSK with a 32 (12RM right, 9 left).
My hands suffered on the first session, probably due to too much chalk.
Tough. Finally, linking the 2 sides is not so bad, at least for this first phase! The cardio goes up a lot. 3 ladders + 2 reps later I was happy that the 20 minutes were over.
I'll try to add some dips to keep the gains of the Push-Pull reverse.
Chalk and snatches is rip city for me. I had success years ago swabbing my hands with surgical spirit to toughen them up and using a pumice stone to keep the callouses I have level. That said the chalk induced rips I got that were the worst I’ve ever had happened on the palm of my hand and in the skin between my thumb and forefinger. Took forever to heal too.

Chalk and snatches is rip city for me. I had success years ago swabbing my hands with surgical spirit to toughen them up and using a pumice stone to keep the callouses I have level. That said the chalk induced rips I got that were the worst I’ve ever had happened on the palm of my hand and in the skin between my thumb and forefinger. Took forever to heal too.
sock sleeves do wonders
from the swing queen herself.

I had similar experience using a heavy-ish bell (for me thats 28kg) and chalk. Took a week or so to heal before I could snatch again. This was my exact question to @Brett Jones when I saw him snatching 32kg and 36kg like it was nothing using chalk. I’ve also seen others on the forum use a deep grip and use chalk to do long snatch sets. I guess a few things can only be earned with enough time and experience !! :D But now I am more cautious with how I treat my calluses and i barely use chalk until I feel that the bell is slipping because of sweat, which almost is never when using a 24kg KB and only once I cross 100 reps using 28kg KB.

A small question: how to add dips to the KSK without affecting the progression, to keep work on it and benefits? After the session?
And in what format? Interrupted sets? Ladders? 5x5? Easy strength?

I was thinking interrupted sets on light days.

Thanks for your time!

A small question: how to add dips to the KSK without affecting the progression, to keep work on it and benefits? After the session?
And in what format? Interrupted sets? Ladders? 5x5? Easy strength?

I was thinking interrupted sets on light days.

Thanks for your time!
Monday I do ring dips. They kinda top out at 6 reps x 5 sets currently. Wednesday I’ll do weighted dips with a 20kg weight vest. 5 sets but if I fancy it I’ll go up to 10 sets. These are around 10 reps currently. Friday it’s just bodyweighy dips at 5 sets of 15 reps currently. It’s the old “same but different” thing. Sometimes on the ring dips I’ll do a descending ladder. I’m one of these lucky people that dips don’t mess with.

Keep them light. And far away from failure.
Thank you!

Finally after the first week, I don't know if I will really need it... :)

Maybe 5x5 @BW sometimes (10RM @BW+20kg) for fun, but there is already quite a bit of work over 20 minutes.

I've decided to do a controlled progression (100 reps over 20 minutes = 12 sec/rep) and I'm managing the rest times like that, increasing the nb of reps by 5-10% per week). A sort of controlled round, length depending on the number of reps. So the 100 reps went better than the 72 of the previous session.

The heavy snatch is damn taxing on the whole body.

Today was week 1, day 2 of phase 2…. And those sets of 12… well!! I look forward to the progression

My palms (and probably my technique) can't handle the heavy snatch. I'll have to leave KSK aside for a while. The rest follows, but not the pain of the blisters that won't heal. But I'll be back! The sensations are great!

My palms (and probably my technique) can't handle the heavy snatch. I'll have to leave KSK aside for a while. The rest follows, but not the pain of the blisters that won't heal. But I'll be back! The sensations are great!
Any chance you got some of your sessions on video so we can review your technique?

Shock sleeves do wonders

Back
Top Bottom