all posts post new thread

Kettlebell The King-Sized Killer

My palms (and probably my technique) can't handle the heavy snatch. I'll have to leave KSK aside for a while. The rest follows, but not the pain of the blisters that won't heal. But I'll be back! The sensations are great!
I did phase 1 and most of 2 with half snatch for various reasons, and had good results with no palm discomfort at all.

After a few weeks of (unrelated) forced time off, I found my full snatch also had improved and am now doing the program "properly" with no palm trouble at all.

I also lotion my callous area several times a day which I find helps a lot.

My palms (and probably my technique) can't handle the heavy snatch. I'll have to leave KSK aside for a while. The rest follows, but not the pain of the blisters that won't heal. But I'll be back! The sensations are great!
Surgical spirit applied with cotton wool will toughen the skin. Along with that it’s just the usual advice of keeping your callouses filed down so they are still there but not raised. There’s talk also of having a look at your callouses because they will indicate if you are gripping harder with certain fingers believe it or not. GS sport practitioners go into this. Chalk is another thing. I don’t use it because it turns my hands to hamburger. Hope you get back to the KSK.

Old socks worked wonders! And the half snatches a great combination of explosive and eccentric with more time under tension. Less reps for sure, but very nice. And my hands will be able to heal nicely.
Thanks to all, I will continue KSK half-snatches version for at least a while, and progress slowly.

I've got these for the snatches.
1651691227941.png
My technique has improved a lot with practice, so I didn't use them so much.
But with KSK, there's so much volume that I'm back to it. Maybe not all practice days, but when I feel my hands are about to tear down, I'd rather use them and being called a sissy rather than waiting for my hands to heal and be forced to rest for days.

I reached the end of Phase 2 today. This third week was tough, so much so I’m wondering whether to add a fourth week to Phase 2 because I’m not sure how the high rep sets of Phase 3 will go. Either that or just power through and accept the lower (probably much lower) volume. Can anyone give their experiences of going into Phase 3 with a similar mindset? It could very well be all in my head.

I reached the end of Phase 2 today. This third week was tough, so much so I’m wondering whether to add a fourth week to Phase 2 because I’m not sure how the high rep sets of Phase 3 will go. Either that or just power through and accept the lower (probably much lower) volume. Can anyone give their experiences of going into Phase 3 with a similar mindset? It could very well be all in my head.
Go with the lower volume you'll still make gains.

Just follow the program as outlined and trust the process.

Remember, as Relative Intensity (effort relative to maximum) increases, volume naturally decreases because it takes more energy/effort to complete longer/bigger sets.

This is where most people stumble, fall, and fail. They don't know that this relationship exists. They think the process is supposed to be linear. It's not. It's wavelike with an upward trend.

Make sense?

Remember, as Relative Intensity (effort relative to maximum) increases, volume naturally decreases because it takes more energy/effort to complete longer/bigger sets.

This is where most people stumble, fall, and fail. They don't know that this relationship exists. They think the process is supposed to be linear. It's not. It's wavelike with an upward trend.

Make sense?
It makes perfect sense to me! Light days sometimes have more volume, while heavy days don't allow as much but are HARD! Especially without a L/R break. And impossible to plan from week to week, and session to session.

Make sense?

Yes absolutely.

Thanks Geoff, onwards with Phase 3!

Phase 1 volume (sum of both arms), 1-5 rep range:
KSK Phase 1 (28kg).png
The 76NL day was a Chipotle-fueled get-r-done session. Session 9 was after a long weekend trip.

I also suitcase carry ~50 feet in left, back on right, after each set. "Chop the wood, carry the water" as they say.

Between this "lumberjack work" protocol and easing off the snacking, I'm down 3-4 pounds.

View attachment 18619
The 76NL day was a Chipotle-fueled get-r-done session. Session 9 was after a long weekend trip.

I also suitcase carry ~50 feet in left, back on right, after each set. "Chop the wood, carry the water" as they say.

Between this "lumberjack work" protocol and easing off the snacking, I'm down 3-4 pounds.
Great work. Love that program

Make sense?
When I first started the Giant I thought something was wrong with me when my Wednesday session would produce less total reps than my Friday session but I’d feel way more tired on Wednesday’s. Then I realized that’s the design.

Finally going to commit and start KSK Monday. Just finished up back to back giants sessions. The last time I wanted to start it I ended up tweeking my back. I know my whole body is gonna feel it week one because I haven’t snatched much over the past year. Does anyone else feel the tiredness in the biceps the next day after snatching a lot? Not pain like injury but like I just did curls or chin ups. I should be able to handle the 24kg we’ll see. Looking forward to a single bell program i love doubles but I need to switch it up a bit.

View attachment 18619

Between this "lumberjack work" protocol and easing off the snacking, I'm down 3-4
Chipotle feuled sounds gassy lol

What’s the
Finally going to commit and start KSK Monday. Just finished up back to back giants sessions. The last time I wanted to start it I ended up tweeking my back. I know my whole body is gonna feel it week one because I haven’t snatched much over the past year. Does anyone else feel the tiredness in the biceps the next day after snatching a lot? Not pain like injury but like I just did curls or chin ups. I should be able to handle the 24kg we’ll see. Looking forward to a single bell program i love doubles but I need to switch it up a bit.
What’s the plan? Will you hit KSK for a whole nine weeks? Or are you considering 4/3 or similar?

I was going to purely do the Giant through Scotlands impending winter (October it start here regardless of anyones guff about “seasons”) but I’m eying up cycles of the giant with the KSK. I do enjoy KSK. I enjoy the Giant too and I’m only really considering the alternating of the 2 because Geoff recommends it and I’ve read about people on here doing it.

Maybe one day I’ll go through the full KSK. I’m doing a year of the Novocaine template, and I love the snatch days (Q&D, A+A) way more than the S&S days.

When I first started the Giant I thought something was wrong with me when my Wednesday session would produce less total reps than my Friday session but I’d feel way more tired on Wednesday’s. Then I realized that’s the design.

Exactly! I was feeling discouraged as well, but Geoff has made some comments that it's expected, as you just did.
I feel much better : will concentrate on getting _good_ ,explosive reps, and perhaps on reducing time, which increases density
Sometimes it takes a while for training recommendations to sink in......

Reactions: Kev
Back
Top Bottom