all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed The Kneesovertoesguy - what do you think?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@Boris Bachmann I believe this program is something you just buy off a website, unless @Pasibrzuch was given a program specific to them. Imo programs like that need to have detailed disclaimers and sections devoted to things like "go easier than you think at first....."
Maybe I should've expressed myself better:
I didn't buy the program, I just started doing the exercises. I stayed in the 5 rep range for split squats and seated good mornings and, take my word for it, I was very conservative with progressing. Even the elevated and bodyweight regressions cause problems. Indeed, it may be a sign of an underlying issue with my spine that's why I don't blame the program, by saying program I metonymically meant the whole knees-over-toes training "philosophy".

Split squats with NO weight and easy range of motion. If those are what was being done and back/knee issues light up, then I'd say you have bigger issues to be concerned about.
That's my case and I'm aware of that. Probably the problem stems from Muay Thai assymetries, a lot of roundhouse kicking and all this coupled with sitting.
However, my osteopath said that a seated good morning is in its essence an exercise that might cause back problems. That's the position I will assume for the time being, until I will fix the underlying issue and my keyhole view on the issue will become a little bit bigger.

Of course, if somebody here has a guess on what the underlying issue with my back is, I'm all ears and I will give it a thought.

my osteopath said that a seated good morning is in its essence an exercise that might cause back problems
I'm not very well versed in back issues (yet) but I would be curious to hear why your osteopath thinks that. I'm not saying they're wrong; I just would like to hear it spelled out.

Hope you figure out how to heal your back!

Seated good mornings and split squats have never been friendly to me either. Split squats are one of the few exercises I can COUNT on to give me knee issues (and I almost never have knee issues), and seated good mornings almost always lead to a back issue.

I've had much better luck with regular Bulgarian Split Squats, 45 degree or regular back extensions (aka 'hyperextensions'), glute ham bench, and regular good mornings. I haven't had any back issues to speak of for the past decade (knock on wood).

Unlike you, if I was prescribed them I would absolutely blame the program. Are there people that can do them without issue? Of course. Am I the only one who has a problem with them? Obviously not.
Boris, I remember recently about another guy that had back issues with the seated good morning, and he would round his back. He got better with cueing, i.e., leading with the belly button. He solved his rounding problem. Hope that helps.

Boris, I remember recently about another guy that had back issues with the seated good morning, and he would round his back. He got better with cueing, i.e., leading with the belly button. He solved his rounding problem. Hope that helps.
It could, but I'm guessing it's one of those exercises that if you're not built for it, all the cueing in the world can only do so much. I did give the seated GM a solid month or so in the rotation back in the day when I was big into Westside, and have plugged it in sporadically.

Could I take a really deep dive into the exercise and build enough competency w. it to be mediocre? Probably. I'm just not sure the pay off is worth the effort that I could spend on other strength and mobility work.

(edits: There are other exercises like this for me - split squats in general aren't good on my knees though I do like Bulgarian split squats, and STRAIGHT legged deadlifts usually end up messing w. my back though I do enjoy stiff-legged deadlifts. I think we talked more about seated GMs in other threads. I'll say what I think I said there too: "Chuck Vogepohl I am not.")

Last edited:
Like some others have said, I've unknowingly been doing similar things for a while now with great results. No shocker here, but a lot of his stuff overlaps with Strongfirst, Original Strength, and Flexible Steel (and probably others I can't think of). Heck, even S+S can be knees over toes if you take some time to explore the movements.

I also have a good friend who is a very good physical therapist and I asked him about Knees Over Toes Guy. He said that he liked a lot of his stuff.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom