all posts post new thread

[THE LATEST ARTICLES] Spread the Load | Control Your Breathing

The article in the previous post is also being discussed in the following forum thread:

-S-

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to the Strongfirst team for allowing me to share my thoughts and experiences! I hope this can be helpful.

Thanks to the Strongfirst team for allowing me to share my thoughts and experiences! I hope this can be helpful.

Thank you, Marty, for the article. And if you don't, one musician asking another, what instrument(s) do you play?

And a note to all our forum members - in addition to commenting on the article, you are invited to comments, ask questions, etc., right here in this thread on this and on any of our articles as they come out.

And, of course, you're also welcome to start a new thread specifically about any individual article and your comment/question related to it.

-S-

Thank you, Marty, for the article. And if you don't, one musician asking another, what instrument(s) do you play?

And a note to all our forum members - in addition to commenting on the article, you are invited to comments, ask questions, etc., right here in this thread on this and on any of our articles as they come out.

And, of course, you're also welcome to start a new thread specifically about any individual article and your comment/question related to it.

-S-
Hey Steve! I play trumpet exclusively. Not talented enough to take on any more. Haha!

Hey Steve! I play trumpet exclusively. Not talented enough to take on any more. Haha!

I am a bit of a dilletante trumpet player, @Marty. Having grown up playing guitar and having added piano in college, I started playing brass instruments when my oldest son was little - I'd take his French Horn lessons whenever he couldn't make them. I now teach teach a handful of cornet (for the smaller/younger ones) and trumpet lessons every week and a few French Horn as well.

What I really like about your article is your progression as explained here:

"My recommendation is to begin with the original ETK+ movements and template—it works. Then, once you understand the process, according to your training goals, adjust the movements to fit your needs while continuing to follow the structure and intent of the modules."

There's a lot of training wisdom condensed into those couple of sentences.

-S-

I am a bit of a dilletante trumpet player, @Marty. Having grown up playing guitar and having added piano in college, I started playing brass instruments when my oldest son was little - I'd take his French Horn lessons whenever he couldn't make them. I now teach teach a handful of cornet (for the smaller/younger ones) and trumpet lessons every week and a few French Horn as well.

What I really like about your article is your progression as explained here:

"My recommendation is to begin with the original ETK+ movements and template—it works. Then, once you understand the process, according to your training goals, adjust the movements to fit your needs while continuing to follow the structure and intent of the modules."

-S-
The Strongfirst methodology is so similar to how I learned trumpet. The concepts of song and wind (Arnold Jacobs) relate perfectly well to the inch wide, mile deep idea. Learn and refine the fundamentals. Amazing musicians let their unbelievable ears and musical ideas guide their physiology. Very strong people have extremely refined nervous systems and highly reactive structures because of their mental focus and training. 6 in one hand; half dozen in the other.

Last edited:
Marty, this is an outstanding article. Thanks for sharing. Not dissimilar to how I currently organise my training (2 x grinds, 2 x ballistics, 2 x zone 2 and 1 x variety) but I will incorporate a number of things from your article.

"Consistency Trumps All"

I'm a little late to this conversation :) just here to say thanks for the great info in all the articles and discussion (I didn't read all yet!)

I know now the 2 usages of this word and prefer the nice connotation of @Steve Freides : dilettante = somebody who takes up an interest/passion (early context was art) and builds their knowledge from a zero starting point to a possibly great height.
(the modern version is negative: a person who takes a passing interest in something and possibly poses as being great at it)

Story of my past 14 months:) validation that I've been in the right direction, if not always on the easiest path!

The concepts of song and wind (Arnold Jacobs)
Thanks! I took a brief look and think that it may apply to my Sax playing as well. I will dig deeper.
And @Marty thanks for sharing your personal story. Strentgh to you and your family.

In the first of these two articles, the author writes, "After almost two years of training and preparation, I successfully lifted the Dinnie Stones on July 19th, 2022 in Potarch, Scotland, becoming the 204th person to do so."

Wow!

Back
Top Bottom