all posts post new thread

Barbell The Layoff

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

william bad butt

Level 7 Valued Member
I figured I would announce my return to serious training, kind of helps with my motivation...

Sometime in late January or early February, I messed up a rack pull and tweaked my back. It wasn't a bad injury, but certainly the worst I experienced in recent years. I hurt for about 5 days. In addition, I had a minor shoulder procedure. It wasn't orthopedic in nature but a non-cancerous mass (about the size of a golf ball) that was starting to give me issues. I talked it over with my online coach. I've made some great progress over the last few years, and even though I do take a lot of short deloads, I needed a break. I've been pushing hard and accumulating fatigue. Also, mentally, it was needed. My Heart and Committment had faded, somewhat.

During my layoff, I haven't touched a barbell. In fact, I've only been doing bodyweight exercises and loaded carries with light bells. Occasionally, I go to Planet Fitness with the wife, doing RPE 2-3 weights. I don't even change the pin, I use the same poundage she uses. Have been walking quite a bit, even more than usual. For example, a training day might be the McGill BIG 3, stir the pots, loaded carries with bells, and pushups. Not very hardcore! But honestly, I have been feeling great. Nothing hurts, and I feel more centered.

It has been a nice layoff. During that time I've done some local traveling (and 1 trip to the Gulf Coast), spent more evenings with wife and friends, and even chased a few other hobbies/passions. For example, I was able to get my project car up and running. That has been a lot of fun! I also got the J&J vaccine last week.

Today I went into my basement gym and did 5x5 SSB squats, rack pull deadlifts, and floor presses. I used 135 lb, no more. The bar felt perfectly natural to me, all my lifts felt good (technique). I guess it is like riding a bike! The Iron Bug has bit me again! During the floor presses, my shoulder felt a little funny (no pain) in the location where they cut me. I will keep an eye on this and explore a few things.

I'm fortunate to have had a good Layoff. Hopefully I can find balance: Start training again AND retain some of the things I've been able to gain during my layoff.

Regards,

Eric

@william bad butt

Awesome, you took a smart approach, especially after a minor injury. There is so much more to a balanced "training program" than just lifting the weights.

Thanks Nathan! Yes, aiming for a more cerebral approach vs just "getting stronger". Although I admit, that is still one of my primary goals. When "fitness" started pushing up against "health" [physical and mental], re-prioritization, and taking a step back, needed to occur.

Regards,

Eric

what is this, may I ask? My father starts to have one a few weeks ago.
I thought it was a lipoma (fatty tumor under the skin). Doctor actually said it was a cyst. The doctor and nurse numbed the skin with lidocaine and I got to watch the procedure. It was pretty minor. The cyst looked like fat (white) and didn't look unhealthy or putrid or anything like that. They stitched me up with both internal and external sutures (6 stitches externally). A relatively small incision.

I noticed it about 1 year ago. A very soft and fatty tumor, on my right shoulder. It didn't hurt, for most of that time. It continued to grow a bit and after a while you could see it under my shirt (like a flattened golf ball under my skin on my shoulder). Around the Christmas Holiday's, I noticed it started hurting with movement. I also noted that it seemed to harden a bit. Instead of being fatty, it felt more like rubber (still soft though). My theory is that when I would lift my arm, it would get compressed (but I'm not sure about that). The doctor said that it is unlikely that this should cause pain, so maybe I have another issue. All I know is that since it has been removed the pain is gone. I did get a small odd sensation when floor pressing, yesterday, though. No pain. Just something felt a bit off (hard to describe and very minor).

Regards,

Eric

I figured I would announce my return to serious training, kind of helps with my motivation...

Sometime in late January or early February, I messed up a rack pull and tweaked my back. It wasn't a bad injury, but certainly the worst I experienced in recent years. I hurt for about 5 days. In addition, I had a minor shoulder procedure. It wasn't orthopedic in nature but a non-cancerous mass (about the size of a golf ball) that was starting to give me issues. I talked it over with my online coach. I've made some great progress over the last few years, and even though I do take a lot of short deloads, I needed a break. I've been pushing hard and accumulating fatigue. Also, mentally, it was needed. My Heart and Committment had faded, somewhat.

During my layoff, I haven't touched a barbell. In fact, I've only been doing bodyweight exercises and loaded carries with light bells. Occasionally, I go to Planet Fitness with the wife, doing RPE 2-3 weights. I don't even change the pin, I use the same poundage she uses. Have been walking quite a bit, even more than usual. For example, a training day might be the McGill BIG 3, stir the pots, loaded carries with bells, and pushups. Not very hardcore! But honestly, I have been feeling great. Nothing hurts, and I feel more centered.

It has been a nice layoff. During that time I've done some local traveling (and 1 trip to the Gulf Coast), spent more evenings with wife and friends, and even chased a few other hobbies/passions. For example, I was able to get my project car up and running. That has been a lot of fun! I also got the J&J vaccine last week.

Today I went into my basement gym and did 5x5 SSB squats, rack pull deadlifts, and floor presses. I used 135 lb, no more. The bar felt perfectly natural to me, all my lifts felt good (technique). I guess it is like riding a bike! The Iron Bug has bit me again! During the floor presses, my shoulder felt a little funny (no pain) in the location where they cut me. I will keep an eye on this and explore a few things.

I'm fortunate to have had a good Layoff. Hopefully I can find balance: Start training again AND retain some of the things I've been able to gain during my layoff.

Regards,

Eric
I think you did it exactly right, meaning the layoff. It's as much a mental layoff as a physical. We need to recharge more frequently after we've been doing this for a long time. Wrapping your hands around the bar, is like coming back to an old friend, it will always be waiting for you.

I think you did it exactly right, meaning the layoff. It's as much a mental layoff as a physical. We need to recharge more frequently after we've been doing this for a long time. Wrapping your hands around the bar, is like coming back to an old friend, it will always be waiting for you.
"An old friend"... I like that! That is exactly how it felt. An old friend with zero judgement that I abandoned him the last 2 months. Last weekend, as I worked with my "old friend", I noticed old blood stains on the bar (as well as rust, dings, and that the bar is no longer straight). Just by looking at my bar, it doesn't take a genius to realize a layoff was probably warranted! I want to minimize the rust, dings, and bends in my body!

I started a workout log. Check it out if you are interested in the 10/20/Life methodology blended with a little Strongfirst and the McGill Methods. The goal is general strength, conditioning, and health, with prep for an occasional (annual at most) powerlifting meet.

Regards,

Eric

Sounds like a great layoff of R&R with some light therapeutic activity thrown in. Awesome! Hope you find a balanced, sustainable, and enjoyable path moving forward.

Sounds like a great layoff of R&R with some light therapeutic activity thrown in. Awesome! Hope you find a balanced, sustainable, and enjoyable path moving forward.
Thanks Boris! That is what I'm shooting for. I've been doing bodyweight excersises with light DB's or light KB's as my primary training, in addition to a once per week squat/bench/deadlift heavy session ("heavy" is relative).

Eric

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom