all posts post new thread

The Little Engine That Could

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
2018.05.01 [Tuesday]

Resting HR: 48
Heart Rate Variability: 63
Elite HRV Score: 10P (Green)

Sleep: In bed 7.25 hours. I woke up at the 3 hour mark. Awake with some restlessness before my alarm went off. Hoping I eeked in at 7 hours.

Feeling: Pretty great actually. Shoulder was in pretty decent shape too. That "first rib" stuff might be on to something. (Or I just feel better when I don't press...)

Mobility
GMB Wrist Warm-up
Shoulder Physical Therapy Routine

Warm-up Circuit (2x)
Halos 16kg 5x each direction
Prying goblet squat (including bicep curls at bottom) 5x (16kg 20kg)
Hip Bridge (squeezing yoga block between knees) for 3s - 5x

Practice
Single Hand Kettlebell Swings - 20kg - 10 x 10
Turkish Get Ups - 20kg - 10
Duration: 28:45
Average Heart Rate: 117
Max Heart Rate: 145

Cool Down
Hurdler Stretch
Butterfly Stretch
Frogger Stretch
Straddle Stretch
Hamstring Stretch
Jefferson Curls - 16kg - 3x

Shoulder Work
Foam Roller
Peanut
Bridge on Lacrosse Ball
First Rib
Bar Hang

Thoughts: Everything felt pretty good today, but I felt like I couldn't be as snappy on the swings as I was the other day. I'm worried I started doing the thing where my hips move with the same velocity on the down and up swing. TGUs felt much better than they have lately. I did feel my shoulder/trigger point/etc. get hit a little with this morning's practice so I made sure to focus on it after. I'm still trying to dial in exactly what I want that to look like. So, at the risk of making my entries stretch into eternity, I'm making note of what I'm trying here.

I'm stoked for BJJ tonight. A little apprehensive about the additional stress that might be placed on my shoulder (since BJJ is how I got injured in the first place...). Oh well, I can't stay away. Hoping that all this strength work is protective. :)

PM Practice
No Gi BJJ Class

Class went great. My cardio was good. Some minor leg fatigue when I was holding guard or half guard defensively - but that was it. Most of my rolls were stalemates - I'll take it for my first night back in over a year!

Last edited:
2018.05.02 [Wednesday]

Resting HR: 55
Elite HRV Score: 9P (Green)

Sleep: Got to bed late last night. I tried to sleep in enough to stretch to get 7 hours. I'm not certain I was successful, but hopefully I was close.

Feeling: My knee felt a little tender right upon waking - but my shoulder felt great! Later in the morning I noticed some bruising on my knee from rolling last night, so maybe that's all I felt this morning - the joint seems fine.

Mobility
GMB Wrist Warm-up

Practice
Two Hand Kettlebell Swings - 24kg - 5 x 10
Turkish Get Ups - 20kg - 4
Duration: 11:13
Average Heart Rate: 118
Max Heart Rate: 141

Additional Practice
Overhead Press 4x2 - 16kg (Soju and Tuba day 8)

Cool Down
Hurdler Stretch
Hamstring Stretch

Thoughts: I've come to the conclusion that getting at least 7 hours of sleep each night is more important that getting a full practice in. Fortunately I really WANT to get a full practice in - so rather than using sleep as an excuse to never practice, my desire to practice is motivation to get to bed on time. I'm also hoping that on a normal BJJ night I will still be able to get to bed early enough to practice the next morning. Scheduling tweaks. That's what it comes down to.

Those presses felt harder than they should have today!

PM Practice
BJJ (Gi)

Class went great. My neck and shoulder got worked over a bit more tonight though. I did lots of mobility work when I got home, but I'm sure I'm need to do more in the coming days. Maybe even see if Buteyko really can help any...

Last edited:
2018.05.03 [Thursday]

Resting HR: 55
Heart Rate Variability: 64
Elite HRV Score: 7P (Green)

Sleep: Hard to calm down and get to sleep after BJJ and trying to get everything done and get to bed on time. As per usual lately I woke up after three hours of sleep and then slept fitfully an additional 4. I probably came in a little under 7 hours of quality sleep.

Feeling: Definitely. Feeling. My. Shoulder. Surprisingly my legs are pretty bruised up too, but that's all surface level and not a problem.

Mobility
GMB Wrist Warm-up

Warm-up Circuit (1x)
Prying goblet squat (including bicep curls at bottom) 5x (16kg)

Practice
20 Push-ups (elbows tight against body)

Shoulder Work (Whole routine a few times this morning)
Foam Roller
Peanut
Bridge on Lacrosse Ball
First Rib
Bar Hang

Other
40 minute TENS session

Thoughts: My neck can move freely and my arm doesn't feel like it's going numb (after some mobility work) - so that's good. But in other ways the problem is worse than it has been lately.I can't stand the thought of this keeping me from BJJ indefinitely. I'll try some more things on my own and then maybe go back to PT. Dry needling was extremely effective last time.

I did a few one hand swings with my right hand to test the waters. I could do it with only light pain, but decided to play it safe. Push-ups seemed okay - so I knocked out a set to get SOMETHING done this morning.

2018.05.04 [Friday]

Resting HR: 49
Elite HRV Score: 8P (Green)

Sleep: Got to bed super late last night (this has been a weird week). Slept decently, had some vivid dreams, but probably fell short of 7 hours again.

Feeling: My shoulder feels remarkably better. Maybe I'm getting the hang of stretching/mobility/etc. Probably not. But glad it's not debilitating! I'm dragging though. Very tired and slow to start.

Mobility
GMB Wrist Warm-up

Practice
Overhead Press 5x2 - 16kg (Soju and Tuba day 9)

Shoulder Work
Foam Roller
Peanut
Bridge on Lacrosse Ball
First Rib
Bar Hang

Thoughts: I was really thankful that I could do the usual Soju & Tuba routine. I feel like I still accomplished something. This has been a hectic week and has wrecked havoc on my kettlebell practice. So I'm happy to keep this one program on track!

2018.05.05 [Saturday]

Resting HR: 46
Heart Rate Variability: 66
Elite HRV Score: 6P (Yellow)

Sleep: About 7 hours of sleep. Late night with friends.

Feeling: I felt really slow and sluggish. Getting anything done was difficult, but I was determined to get a full S&S session in after the week I'd had. Shoulder still wasn't feeling the best from BJJ.

Mobility
GMB Wrist Warm-up

Warm-up Circuit (3x)
Prying goblet squat (including bicep curls at bottom) 5x (16kg 20kg 20kg)

Practice
Duration: 32:14
Average Heart Rate: 112

Cool Down
Hurdler Stretch
Butterfly Stretch
Frogger Stretch
Straddle Stretch
Hamstring Stretch

Shoulder Work
Foam Roller
Peanut
Bridge on Lacrosse Ball
First Rib
Bar Hang

Thoughts: Perhaps I should have listened to my HRV score or my feeling of sluggishness. After S&S I was okay for an hour or so and then I just crashed. Zero energy. I finally went to bed and slept for several hours during the day (normally impossible for me). The whole day was basically wasted. I must have needed to recover extremely badly.

My time was as long as it was not (entirely) because of how tired I was, but also because my daughter was up and we played between sets (my dog was playful too). Also, my shoulder didn't like the first few swings on my right side, but warmed up and felt good after a few sets.

2018.05.06 [Sunday]

Resting HR: 47
Elite HRV Score: 6P (Yellow)

Sleep: Less than 7 hours of sleep with multiple full wake up.

Feeling: I didn't feel too exhausted compared to yesterday. Still didn't feel 100% though. I had some numbness in my right arm.

Mobility
GMB Wrist Warm-up

PM practice
50 bodyweight calf raises (2s up, 2s pause, 2s down)
30 dumbbell bicep curls 14lb

Shoulder Work
Foam Roller
Peanut
Bridge on Lacrosse Ball
First Rib
Bar Hang

Arm numbness went away after going through my shoulder routine. I should have done it in the morning.

2018.05.07 [Monday]

Resting HR: 53
Heart Rate Variability: 62
Elite HRV Score: 5S (Yellow)

Sleep: Less than 7 hours of sleep. Many wake up. Stomach pains (Had an extremely fatty dinner that wouldn't settle).

Feeling: I felt pretty sluggish. I went to bed thinking I'd get up and do a full S&S session. But during the night I set my alarm for later and decided I'd just do Soju and Tuba.

Mobility
GMB Wrist Warm-up

Practice
Overhead Press 6x2 - 16kg (Soju and Tuba day 10)

Shoulder Work
Foam Roller
Peanut
Bridge on Lacrosse Ball
First Rib

Thoughts: I would have loved to do more with my practice this morning. But with my recent exhaustion I feel this wasn't the worst decision. I had a very frustrating morning and I'm tired at work anyways.

PM Practice
Strict Bodyweight Pullup - 3x1
45s Hollow Body Hold
35 dumbbell bicep curls 14lb

Shoulder Mobility Routine (again)

Last edited:
2018.05.08 [Tuesday]

Sleep: I came in under 7 hours of total sleep. But it was a good deep sleep.

Feeling: I felt good. I felt waaaay better than yesterday (mood problems oddly) and ready to knock out an S&S session.

Mobility
GMB Wrist Warm-up
Jefferson Curls - 16kg - 3x

Warm-up Circuit (3x)
Prying goblet squat 5x (16kg 20kg 20kg)
Hip Bridge (squeezing yoga block between knees) 3 seconds - 5x

Practice
Duration: 29:55
Average Heart Rate: 119
Max Heart Rate: 145

Cool Down
Hurdler Stretch
Butterfly Stretch
Frogger Stretch
Straddle Stretch

Shoulder Work
Foam Roller
Peanut
Bridge on Lacrosse Ball
First Rib
Bar Hang

Thoughts: My right shoulder felt pretty good all through practice, but is a little bit bothersome at work. I've also got some sensations down my right arm - not necessarily numbness. Perhaps I really do need to see my PT (I was hopeful I could avoid). Also of note - my right hand hook grip feels weak. It feels like I'm just able to keep control of the kettlebell. Also, on bar hang - I don't think I could hold on with only my right hand. (I'm freaking myself out now! Maybe I really do have a pinched nerve!)

PM Practice
N0-Gi BJJ

Training sessions went really well. Thanks to kettlebells I didn't lose much in the way of strength/endurance during my hiatus. Though tonight I did tweak my lower back and I have some rib pain. On the bright side - my shoulder feels great now!

Last edited:
2018.05.09 [Wednesday]

Resting HR: 50
Heart Rate Variability: 65
Elite HRV Score: 9P (Green)

Sleep: Less than 7 hours of sleep. Woke up a lot - possibly due to back pain.

Feeling: I'm really feeling the lower back and rib pain this morning. I was moving gingerly like an old man. Since I slept in I decided I would just do Soju and Tuba and some other work.

Mobility
GMB Wrist Warm-up

Practice
Overhead Press 7x2 - 16kg (Soju and Tuba day 11)
40 dumbbell bicep curls 14lb

Cool Down
Hamstring Stretch

Thoughts: Just putting in some light work. Lower back is very painful and deep breathes hurt. Good times. Presses felt light and easy (and I definitely felt a little in my rib!) - so I'm happy about that.

2018.05.10 [Thursday]

Sleep: A little more than 6 hours of sleep last night. I went to see The Avengers - Infinity War last night with some friends. We caught an early showing and I declined going out to eat after and I still didn't get to bed until after 11. :/

Feeling: My lower back is significantly better this morning. I still get some twinges with certain movements, but even then they are relatively mild. My rib still hurts and there might be a faint bruise? Finally, my wrist hurts considerably when weight is placed on it with a flat supporting hand (I didn't notice until after my warm-up, more notes below)

Mobility
GMB Wrist Warm-up
Partial Shoulder Physical Therapy Routine (only plank and broomstick exercises)

Practice
40 bodyweight calf raises (2s up, 2s pause, 2s down)

Cool Down
Hamstring Stretch

Thoughts: I grimaced through the wrist warm-up but had to stop some of the shoulder exercises. The other night at BJJ someone kept trying to wrist lock me, but I was strong enough to just flex my wrist and ignore the attack while I focused elsewhere (thus occupying my opponents two hands while freeing one of mine). While effective, I doubt I should use this for such a long period of time in the future. Hopefully today (2 days after) will be the worst of it, but if it's a tendon it could take longer. That would be a total bummer as it prevents me from doing push ups (possibly even TGUs)! Hopefully tonight I get more sleep and can do a session with more movements tomorrow (though S&S is out with the rib injury).

2018.05.11 [Friday]

Heart Rate Variability: 68
Elite HRV Score: 4P (Yellow)

Sleep: Almost 7 hours of sleep. Though I probably fell a little short, it was a good deep sleep.

Feeling: Rib is still very tender and painful when moving certain ways.

Practice
Overhead Press 8x2 - 16kg (Soju and Tuba day 12)
50 dumbbell bicep curls 14lb

Cool Down
Hamstring Stretch

Thoughts: My daughter woke up really early this morning so my training plans got derailed (plus I had a pretty abysmal HRV score!). I had planned on adding some other movements that I tested last night that my rib seemed to tolerate - squats and single leg deadlifts among others. Instead I did Soju & Tuba to stay on track and added some bicep curls for vanity. I also got to watch Cinderella. :)

2018.05.12 [Saturday]

Resting HR: 51
Elite HRV Score: 8S (Green)

Sleep: Fell just short of 7 hours of sleep. My dog woke me up. She was VERY excited about Saturday.

Practice
Went to Landsford Canal State Park in SC with the in-laws for an early Mother's Day celebration. We did the Nature Trail which is a little over half a mile each direction. I carried my daughter the whole way back. So a short ruck with a 45 lb pack. It didn't feel difficult and I had energy afterwards and felt good. I did nap in the afternoon after getting home though...

Thoughts: Not really a "practice" per se, but I felt it was worth noting. I think I might have done some other stuff too, but I forget now.

2018.05.14 [Monday]

Sleep: Very little sleep. A little over 6 hours.

Feeling: I had a long and stressful weekend and I know work is going to be crazy today. I'm tired, but still getting after it.

Practice
Overhead Press 2x3 - 16kg (Soju and Tuba day 13)

Circuit x3
Goblet Sqaut - 28kg - 5x
Single Leg Deadlift - 16kg - 3x (each side)

Finisher
55 Dumbbell Bicep Curls 14lb

Cool Down
Hurdler Stretch
Butterfly Stretch
Frogger Stretch
Straddle Stretch

Thoughts: I came up with this "circuit" of moves that don't aggravate my rib. I considered adding more (like jump-rope to occasionally spike my heart rate), but decided against it as I haven't been hitting my sleep numbers lately. I was really happy with how challening a mobility/stability drill the Single Leg Deadlift was. My right glute and hamstring definitely felt some work. I do miss the explosive kettlebell work from S&S and can't wait to get back though. Happy to be doing something in the meantime though. (I feel like I'm becoming the best in the world at being lightly injured and adapting workouts. Not worth bragging about, but maybe not the worst thing in the world? lol)

2018.05.15 [Tuesday]

Resting HR: 45
Elite HRV Score: 7S (Green)

Sleep: Right at 7 hours. Possibly just under.

Feeling: I really wanted to keep sleeping. I was a little slow starting, but got there. Ribs hurt a little more than yesterday, but are still quite bearable.

Mobility
50 Bodyweight Calf Raises (2s up, 2s pause, 2s down)

Practice
Carries 16kg - 12 minutes
1 minute Waiter's Walk
1 minute Rack Carry
1 minute Farmer's Walk (technically suitcase carry)
Switch hands and repeat without setting the bell down
* I got this idea from a Gray Cook video on the forum (link)

Thoughts: I love that the sun is rising earlier - but I have yet to realize and/or adjust to the fact that my daughter wakes up about 45 minutes earlier now! I had (again) planned a longer session, but had to cut it down due to this. As always, I'm glad I got *something* done, but I might have to look at my morning routine...

On the bright side, my daughter did make the carrying practice more fun by running around the house and putting obstacles in my way (like a chase scene in a movie - lol). She was laughing and giggling the whole time. I'm sure it enhanced an otherwise monotonous experience. She also used my clicker/counter thing during my calf raises and was very pleased with herself. It turns out I'm raising a pretty good workout partner. :)

PM Practice
No-Gi BJJ

I was rolling too light with somebody and caught in a neck crank. I was stupidly too proud to tap and pried free. I felt my muscles spasm/tense almost immediately. It's becoming clear that I'm an idiot. A proud idiot. Don't be like me kids. Tap. Tap early and often.

Last edited:
2018.05.16 [Wednesday]

Resting HR: 46
Heart Rate Variability: 67

Sleep: Less than 7 hours. At least 2 fully alert wake-ups. Disturbed sleep for a lot of the rest. (reasons below)

Feeling: My neck is all jacked up (from BJJ last night, see log above). Painful sleeping all last night. Stiff and inflexible this morning. Generally no fun. I can't tell if my ribs feel any better or if they've simply been overshadowed by neck pain.

Practice
Overhead Press 3x3 - 16kg (Soju and Tuba day 14)
Plank (shoulder PT variation)
60 Dumbbell Bicep Curls 14lb
Goblet Squat - 28kg - 3x5

TENS session - pads on neck - 45m

Thoughts: Pressing didn't seem to be affected by neck pain. I was able to kind of keep doing my minimal work-outs. I have noticed that these aren't nearly as good for my conditioning as a proper S&S session. I will probably sit out for Thursday's BJJ class. :(

Further note to self: I'm neglecting stretching. That can't be entirely good.

2018.05.17 [Thursday]

Resting HR: 45
Elite HRV Score: 6S (Yellow)

Sleep: A little less than 7 hours due to difficulty sleeping. Better than last night, but still with the same kind of pain.

Feeling: Neck still hurts upon waking. I feel the pain/tightness in my shoulder now as well. I was also a little groggy getting up, but perked up reasonably quickly.

Circuit (x3)
Goblet Squat - 28kg - 5
Single Leg Deadlift - 20kg - 3 (each side)

Additional Practice
Cook Drill 20kg - 6 minutes
1 minute Waiter's Walk
1 minute Rack Carry
1 minute Suitcase carry
switch hands

1 Minute Plank (Shoulder PT version)

Cool Down
Hurdler Stretch
Butterfly Stretch
Frogger Stretch
Straddle Stretch

Thoughts: I upped the weight on Single Leg Deadlifts and the Cook Carry drill. Both were much more intense, but doable. This should probably be my working weight for these movements now. By the end of my morning practice I felt that I had actually pushed myself a little rather than simply being the same difficulty as a light day or mobility day. My right leg deadlifts are still noticeably worse balance-wise and hit my glutes much harder. I'm thinking that getting back into doing regular OS Cross Crawls (or the whole dang set of resets!) would be helpful on this front.

I ordered a fancy pillow after looking into cervical pillows (ended up getting an "adjustable" memory foam pillow). Thanks to Amazon same day delivery it should be here before I sleep tonight. I'm hoping it's as amazing as everyone says.

Man - I know I'm forgetting stuff. But here's at least some of it! I've had terrible HRV scores lately btw - very Sympathetic. Just wanted to get something down before I forget everything.

2018.05.18 [Friday]

Overhead Press 4x3 - 16kg (Soju and Tuba day 15)
Plank (shoulder PT variation)

2018.05.19 [Saturday]

Warm-up
70 Bodyweight Calf Raises (2s up, 2s pause, 2s down)

Circuit (x3)
Goblet Squat - 28kg - 5
Single Leg Deadlift - 20kg - 3 (each side)

Additional Practice
Cook Drill 16kg - 12 minutes
1 minute Waiter's Walk
1 minute Rack Carry
1 minute Suitcase carry
switch hands

2018.05.21 [Monday]

20 Bodyweight Calf Raises (2s up, 2s pause, 2s down)
Overhead Press 5x3 - 16kg (Soju and Tuba day 16)
20 Dumbbell Bicep Curls 14lb

2018.05.24 [Thursday]

Resting HR: 48

Sleep: About 7 hours. Still on sleep deficit from this crazy week (work conference).

Feeling: I felt like it was difficult to breathe? I think I figured out there's something downstairs that's making our house smell stuffy. (Riviting training journal material I know...)

Practice
Overhead Press 6x3 - 16kg (Soju and Tuba day 17)

Thoughts: That's all I did today. I've been unnaturally busy this week, but I wanted to finish up this round of Soju & Tuba. I think I'll go through again with 20kg in a week or so.

2018.05.29 [Tuesday]

Resting HR: 52
Heart Rate Variability: 61

Sleep: Less than 7 hours of sleep. Recovering from a trip where we consistently stayed up way too late (and we were super close to a timezone change so it was light outside for an extra hour). I went to bed early enough to grab a solid 7 and change but couldn't get to sleep.

Feeling: I felt pretty decent. My rib hurt again a little more than it has lately. I wonder if our bed is not my friend.

Light Practice
Single Hand Kettlebell Swings - 20kg - 2 x 10
Turkish Get Ups - 20kg - 2

Soju & Tuba
Overhead Press - 20kg - 4x1 (Day 1)

Cardio (MAF)
Jump Rope - Speed Rope
Duration: 16:35
Average Heart Rate: 123
Max Heart Rate: 157

Thoughts: I wanted to test and see how swings and get-ups feel after being away for a while. Swings felt great all around with no concerns. Get-ups aggravated both my wrist (left) and ribs (right). I really want to do a full S&S session tomorrow, but it's probably not smart to do so yet. I went ahead an started right into my next round of Soju & Tuba. I'm very excited to be making progress even with my slow and steady approach. I had about 15 minutes set aside this morning and wanted to get some cardio work in, so I did sets of jump rope to MAF heart rate (and beyond, but tried not to). I did about 8 sets of 100 "reps". I felt light on my feet and didn't tire badly at all - or even get too winded. I think all the calf raises, goblet squats, and single leg deadlifts I've been doing lately have really helped!

2018.05.30 [Wednesday]

Heart Rate Variability: 67
Elite HRV Score: 5P (Yellow)

Sleep: I only got like 6.5 hours of sleep. I was on track to get 7, until my wife and I both found ticks on us from our trip this weekend! So we double and triple checked. Now we're hopefully tick free, but at the expense of a good night's sleep.

Feeling: All around not too shabby. My neck and shoulder don't hurt!

Better than Nothing
60 Bodyweight Calf Raises (2s up, 2s pause, 2s down)
60s Plank (shoulder PT variation)
30s Hollow Body Hold

Thoughts: I checked my daughter for ticks this morning (as she was already asleep last night) and I found a monster one in her hair! Between little sleep and that thorough check I gave my morning practice the short end of the stick.

Last edited:
2018.05.31 [Thursday]

Resting HR: 49
Heart Rate Variability: 65
Elite HRV Score: 8P (Green)

Sleep: In bed with lights out for 7.25 hours. Hoping that means I managed to hit 7.

Feeling: Very tired/groggy/slow-moving upon waking.

Warm-up Before the Warm-up :p
25 Bodyweight Calf Raises (2s up, 2s pause, 2s down)
60s Plank (shoulder PT variation)
40s Hollow Body Hold

Warm-up Circuit (1x)
Prying goblet squat 16kg 5x

Practice
Turkish Get Ups - 20kg - 4
Duration: 18:19
Average Heart Rate: 112

Cool Down
Hurdler Stretch
Butterfly Stretch
Frogger Stretch
Straddle Stretch
Hamstring Stretch

Thoughts: I really wanted to get an S&S style practice in this morning. Because I slept in to hit 7 hours of sleep I had to shave a bit off of the warm-up. Swings felt really good and crisp. My form was on point. The TGUs were problematic as they stressed my rib injury (which had been rapidly improving). I stopped after 4 to prevent further damage. (I hope to go to BJJ class tonight, I'll need to be careful with my injuries - will probably need to "roll light")

PM Practice
No-Gi BJJ

Last edited:
2018.06.01 [Friday]

Sleep: Got to bed late after BJJ. Only got a little over 6 hours of sleep.

Feeling: Not too shabby.

Soju & Tuba
Overhead Press - 20kg - 6x1 (Day 2)

Thoughts: I slept in to get a full 6 hours, my daughter woke up early, and I had to be in early for work today. So I just did my Soju & Tuba session and called it good.

PM Practice
80 Dumbbell Bicep Curls - 14lb
in sets of 10 without putting the dumbbells down
Bar Hang - 60s
Gymnastic Rings Top Position Hold - 20s
Push-ups - 14
elbows tight against body

Thoughts: Because of various nagging injuries it's been a while since I've done my minimum daily work requirements. I noticed it the most on my push-ups. I could have pushed for a rep or two more but didn't want to risk going to failure. Either way, I fell well short of 20 - what had become my usual. I'm really happy I got to squeeze in a little bit of work tonight - especially since this morning was so light.

2018.06.02 [Saturday]

Heart Rate Variability: 55
Elite HRV Score: 4S (Yellow)

Sleep: In bed with lights out for 8 hours. I woke up pretty alert in the middle of the night and slept fitfully afterward.

Feeling: Sleep wasn't very refreshing but I felt alert when I got moving. Ribs were tender and my biceps were very sore from yesterday's practice. I wanted to do an S&S session since I had lots of time, but with my terrible HRV score and general malaise, I opted for an easier practice.

Practice
100 Bodyweight Calf Raises (2s up, 2s pause, 2s down)
Goblet Squat - 28kg - 3x5
Cook Carry Drill - 16kg - 12 minutes

Thoughts: (I'm filling this out days later, I feel like I'm forgetting a movement or two, but this is what "stands out" in my memory) This session was more challenging than what I originally intended. Also, the Cook Carry drill hit my biceps WAY MORE than I expected! I guess this shouldn't be surprising, but I really was expecting it to be more "restful" than it was!

2018.06.04 [Monday]

Sleep: I was in bed for 6 hours and didn't sleep great while I was there. I woke up early too. I'm already frustrated when I miss 7 hours, but I'm downright angry at myself when I don't even hit 6.

Feeling: I feel pretty good coming off the weekend and after my rest day (even with the bad night's sleep - I'll be feeling that tomorrow though). Still short on time after sleeping in.

Soju & Tuba
Overhead Press - 20kg - 8x1 (Day 3)

Thoughts: I had to rush set 8 without resting the proper amount, but that's okay (hopefully). While I'm frustrated my sleep and morning routine aren't where I'd like them to be lately, I'm so happy that I can work Soju & Tuba into my morning responsibilites and still be making progress in SOMETHING even when I can't squeeze in a traditional training session.

PM Practice
Goblet Squats - 28kg - 5
Strict Bodyweight Pullup - 2x1
Push-ups (elbows tight against body) - 16
Bodyweight Chinup - 2x2
Hollow Body Hold - 40s
Bar Hang - 60s
Gymnastic Rings Top Position Hold - 40s

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom