all posts post new thread

The Little Engine That Could

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
2018.06.05 [Tuesday]

Resting HR: 48
Heart Rate Variability: 63
Elite HRV Score: 10P (Green)

Sleep: In bed with lights out for 7.25 hours. Woke up with a stomach ache (super high fat content dinner before bed) and stirred a few more times before my alarm went off.

Feeling: I actually felt really good. My rib is still tender and all that jazz, but my energy levels felt surprisingly good for how little sleep I've gotten lately.

Warm-up Before the Warm-up
50 Bodyweight Calf Raises (2s up, 2s pause, 2s down)

Warm-up Circuit (3x)
Halos 16kg 5x each direction
Prying goblet squat 20kg 5x
Hip Bridge (squeezing yoga block between knees) for 3s - 5x

Simple & Sinister
Single Hand Kettlebell Swings - 20kg - 10 x 10
Turkish Get Ups - 20kg - 10
Duration: 30:32
Average Heart Rate: 110
Max Heart Rate: 143

Cool Down
Hurdler Stretch
Butterfly Stretch
Frogger Stretch
Straddle Stretch
Hamstring Stretch

Thoughts: Everything felt really easy today. I even thought about bumping up to the 24kg halfway through my swings, but decided to just enjoy the feeling for today. TGUs only lightly aggravated my rib today. Sliding it between arms around my head hurt my ribs more than any part of the actual TGU! Even though I felt refreshed and energized after I'm really tired now at work. That chocolate peanut butter RX bar I had post workout couldn't have anything to do with that though...

PM Practice
No-Gi BJJ

Last edited:
2018.06.06 [Wednesday]

Resting HR: 51
Heart Rate Variability: 57
Elite HRV Score: 5S (Yellow)

Sleep: In bed with lights out for just over 7 hours. One major wake up that threw off my REM cycle. Probably came in at just under 7 hours.

Feeling: I was super tired and slow moving this morning. It felt like my alarm must have gone off in the middle of a REM cycle. A little sore from BJJ last night, but good.

Soju & Tuba
Overhead Press - 20kg - 10x1 (Day 4)

Practice
30 Bodyweight Calf Raises (2s up, 2s pause, 2s down)
16 Push-ups (elbows tight against body)
70 Dumbbell Bicep Curls - 14lb
Sets of 10 without putting the dumbbells down

Thoughts: Short morning. Did what I had time for. I do want to define a little more what my "Program Minimum" should look like on these mornings. Combined with figuring out how bicep work, etc. ties into that.

PM Practice
BJJ (Gi)

Oh man did BJJ take a lot out of me tonight! I was relying on the strength of my closed guard too much and really ran up against my cardio threshold. I've been thinking about switching to a program that focuses primarily on hypertrophy, but tonight makes me think that either a) I need to still mix in some kind of GPP work (which I was mostly thinking of doing anyways with light S&S on my recovery days) or b) BJJ will be forced to become my primary source of cardio work.

Last edited:
2018.06.07 [Thursday]

Resting HR: 56
Heart Rate Variability: 56

Sleep: In bed with lights out for just over 7 hours. I woke up after 5 and barely slept during the last two. Probably landing me somewhere around 6.5 hours of sleep.

Feeling: Very alert actually. A little sore from BJJ, but no injuries.

Warm-up Circuit (3x)

Simple & Sinister
Single Hand Kettlebell Swings - 20kg - 10 x 10
Turkish Get Ups - 20kg - 10
Duration: 29:55
Average Heart Rate: 115
Max Heart Rate: 145

Cool Down
Hurdler Stretch
Butterfly Stretch
Frogger Stretch
Straddle Stretch
Hamstring Stretch

Thoughts: I can't believe how high my resting heart rate was this morning! I also had an abysmal HRV score for the second day in a row. I probably shouldn't have done a full S&S session - but I was hell bent on getting one in. 20kg is really starting to feel pretty easy now. I was going to mix in some 24kg work and start my transition to the next bell, but my poor HRV score did prevent me from doing that.

2018.06.08 [Friday]

Resting HR: 49
Heart Rate Variability: 66
Elite HRV Score: 8P (Green)

Sleep: I went to bed and was all set to get a comfortable 7 hours of sleep. I woke up after 6 hours alert and ready to go. I couldn't get back to sleep.

Feeling: Very alert. I decided to add Simple & Sinister to my Soju & Tuba today.

Soju & Tuba
Overhead Press - 20kg - 12x1 (Day 5)

Warm-up Circuit (3x)

Simple & Sinister
Single Hand Kettlebell Swings - 10x10 [20kg 24kg 24kg 20kg 20kg]
Turkish Get Ups - 10 [20kg 24kg 24kg 20kg 20kg]
Duration: 27:21
Average Heart Rate: 119
Max Heart Rate: 153

Cool Down
Hurdler Stretch
Butterfly Stretch
Frogger Stretch
Straddle Stretch
Hamstring Stretch

Total Vanity Move
70 Dumbbell Bicep Curls - 14lb
Sets of 10 without putting the dumbbells down

Thoughts: I decided to push the tempo a little bit on my swings and not worry about MAF so much (after some chat here on the forums yesterday). I aimed for roughly an EMOM pace. I also felt so good with the 20kg that I decided to start working in sets with the next bell size. The swings were fine, but the TGU was taxing (and remained difficult even when I returned to my usual "easy" weight). I'm happy to see some progress. I likely won't do S&S this weekend to have a little extra recovery time (but I'll still do *something* tomorrow).

2018.06.09 [Saturday]

Heart Rate Variability: 58
Elite HRV Score: 8S (Green)

Sleep: Over 8 hours of sleep! We had company so my wife got up early and took care of my daughter and, unbelievably, my dog let me sleep in too!

Feeling: Well rested. A rare but wonderful feeling.

I went for a run intending to do a MAF heart rate run, but my chest strap wasn't synced to the app I wanted to use so I decided to do something a little different. I ran intervals with a mid-foot strike - alternated with walking. I focused on extending my rear leg and increasing my tempo a little bit. I did manage to start another app that was able to access my heart rate - and I definitely went well beyond my MAF heart rate.

5k Total
About 40 minutes
Average Heart Rate: 146 (one bpm over MHR)
Max Heart Rate: 186

I played at the pool with my daughter and our visitors too. No strength work to speak of, but I had a great time.

Thoughts: The forefoot (midfoot?) strike definitely hit my calf muscles. I'm glad I've been doing all those calf raises! My ankles are a little bit sore 2 days later though. I think I'll try this again next weekend and see if I made any progress.

2018.06.11 [Monday]

Heart Rate Variability: 64

Sleep: Hopefully 7 hours. I slept in waaaaaay late to try and hit that, but I'm not sure if I did.

Feeling: I'm definitely feeling the toll of a long weekend when we stayed up way too late with friends (4 hours of sleep one night).

I tried to do Soju & Tuba this morning but our house was packed with people this morning. Combined with my sleeping in I only got a few sets done. So I'll complete the rest tonight and finish today's work in a grease the groove fasion. Of the whole Soju and Tuba program, the 14x1 day stresses me out the most. Not because it's difficult, but because it is so time consuming.

Soju & Tuba
Overhead Press - 20kg - 14x1 (Day 5)

I rushed the last few sets of presses. 14 spread out just takes so much time! Fortunately I was able to manage them even rushed before dinner. :)

Last edited:
2018.06.12 [Tuesday]

Heart Rate Variability: 59

Sleep: I went to bed expecting to get 8 hours of sleep. I was in bed that long. I slept terribly though. I even woke up at midnight thinking it was near morning. Not certain about how much "actual sleep" I got.

Feeling: Not too bad all things considered. I was determined to get in an S&S session.

Warm-up Circuit (3x)
Halos - 16kg 5x each direction
Prying Goblet Squat - 24kg 5x
Single Leg Deadlift - 20kg 5x each leg

Simple & Sinister
Duration: 23:57
Average Heart Rate: 122
Max Heart Rate: 149

Cool Down
Hurdler Stretch
Butterfly Stretch
Frogger Stretch
Straddle Stretch
Hamstring Stretch

Thoughts: I don't think I packed my (right) shoulder on my first set of single leg deadlifts. My shoulder felt a little off and I was conscious of correcting this for the remainder of my practice. I felt a twinge in my lower back during on of my early sets of swings. I tried to focus on intra-abdominal pressure to ensure it didn't worsen (in fact, I didn't feel any further pain). At work this morning my lower back is feeling a bit out of sorts. I was happy that my rib didn't hurt when I transitioned the bell between sides on the TGU (I could still tell were the tender spot was - but it was nearly imperceptible!). As always, I'm happy I got a good practice in today.

PM Practice
No-gi BJJ

Class went really well tonight. I'm returning to my old form and made seemingly great strides since my last class.

Last edited:
2018.06.13 [Wednesday]

Resting HR: 54
Heart Rate Variability: 62
Elite HRV Score: 10P (Green)

Sleep: I was in bed for 7.25 hours. Some minor restlessness, but should have hit 7 hours pretty easily.

Feeling: Really tired and weak (with some residual BJJ soreness). I fell asleep again while measuring HRV.

Soju & Tuba
Overhead Press - 20kg - 3x2 (Day 7)

Random Things
50 Bodyweight Calf Raises (2s up, 2s pause, 2s down)
Dumbbell Bicep Curls - 14lb - 7x10 (without putting dumbbells down)

Thoughts: Presses were manageable today but felt WAY HARDER than they should have. I was just really tired. Probably not recovered from BJJ. My lower back hurts during some movements, but seems fine in general. Hopefully it won't act up during tonight's BJJ.

BJJ (gi)

Last edited:
2018.06.15 [Friday]

Soju & Tuba
Overhead Press - 20kg - 4x2 (Day 8)

Each year my work gives us a day to go out in the community and participate in some charitable work. I worked to install a wheel chair ramp at someones house. I swung a pick axe, used a post hole digger, shoveled - but the real killer was being the designated "nail gun guy"! I've never used a nail gun before and it didn't feel like much work, but man my grip and forearm were shot by the end! I had intended to go home and do a full S&S session before BJJ, but I ended up relaxing on the couch with my family (I still went to BJJ though).

PM Practice
BJJ (gi)

2018.06.16 [Saturday]

Heart Rate Variability: 60
Elite HRV Score: 9S (Green)

Sleep: I got very little sleep. I think only about five and a half hours.

Feeling: I was determined to get in an S&S session. Even with my wrist/forearm DOMS and terrible night's sleep. (Yeah - not my best move)

Warm-up Circuit (3x)

Simple & Sinister
Single Hand Kettlebell Swings - 11*x10 [20kg 24kg 24kg 20kg 20kg]
*I accidentally did 2 sets in a row of 24kg on the right side
Duration: 24:06
Average Heart Rate: 117
Max Heart Rate: 144

Cool Down
Hurdler Stretch
Butterfly Stretch
Frogger Stretch
Straddle Stretch
Hamstring Stretch

Thoughts: I accidentally did an extra set of "heavy" swings. After this we went to an airplane museum with my dad for Father's Day - where the A/C didn't work. I was exhausted and dragging my sorry self around. Major recovery failure.

2018.06.18 [Monday]

Resting HR: 46
Heart Rate Variability: 67
Elite HRV Score: 3P (Red)

Sleep: I definitely got over 7 hours of sleep.

Feeling: Still dragging from pushing too hard. I fell asleep during my HRV reading - which might explain the reading, but also shows how tired/poorly recovered I was. I cut out everything physical save for Soju & Tuba and hoped for better recovery today.

Soju & Tuba
Overhead Press - 20kg - 5x2 (Day 9)

Thoughts: The presses weren't as bad as I thought they'd feel all things considered. I'm bummed I couldn't do more, but I'm absolutely certain it was the right choice (provided the little bit of work I did do wasn't too much!).

2018.06.19 [Tuesday]

Resting HR: 44
Heart Rate Variability: 65

Sleep: I got close to 7.5 hours of sleep last night. I didn't wake up before my alarm clock, but I did feel pretty refreshed - especially considering how tired I've felt lately.

Feeling: Pretty good. Last night I used my Gua Sha stone and scraped my right forearm. Between that and how long it's been since I overworked it, it feels much better today.

Warm-up Circuit (3x)

Simple & Sinister
Duration: 24:36
Average Heart Rate: 124
Max Heart Rate: 153

Cool Down
Hurdler Stretch
Butterfly Stretch
Frogger Stretch
Straddle Stretch
Hamstring Stretch

Thoughts: The 24kg sets are still challenging, but feel more reasonable. I considering adding an extra set, but with my long recovery from last week and my right shoulder lightly cramping/feeling stiff/something I decided to play it cool and keep to my slow progression plan. I'm not in a hurry to hit Simple. It will happen when it happens. I was strangely happy during this morning's practice. Almost euphoric. It's enough to make one think that sleep is actually important...

PM Practice
No-gi BJJ

Last edited:
2018.06.20 [Wednesday]

Resting HR: 55
Elite HRV Score: 7S (Green)

Sleep: I set my alarm to let me get 7 hours of sleep. I only got 6. I had some pretty wild dreams though.

Feeling: Yesterday was my first day giving intermittent fasting a shot (skipping dinner) and I went to be pretty hungry. I wasn't too hungry upon waking though! I felt really sore/stiff from BJJ, but all of it went away almost immediately once I got up and moving around.

Soju & Tuba
Overhead Press - 20kg - 6x2 (Day 10)

Warm-up
30 Bodyweight Calf Raises (2s up, 2s pause, 2s down)
Kettlebell Swings - 24kg - 10 [2T 2L 2T 2R 2T]

Upper Body Vanity Circuit (x5)
Dumbbell Bicep Curls - 20lb - 5
Tricep Band Pulldowns - Green Rogue Monster Band (65lb) - 5
Push-ups - 5

Cool Down
Hamstring Stretch

Thoughts: I was in a hurry this morning so knew I needed to do something shortish. I actually planned to do 3 pairs of supersets, but settled for this anyways. I've pumped up my biceps lately and I noticed my triceps are lagging behind - in fact, I can't even do a ring dip! So this is an area I'll need to pay a little bit of attention to. I did like this workout though for when I need to knock something out quickly. I started with only 5 reps each set to make sure I wouldn't get smoked unexpectedly. I think I'll work up to 8-10 reps. (Side note: I don't have any heavier dumbbells at the moment). Soju and Tuba felt great again.

PM Practice
I tried several double kettlebell movements (with uneven bells) and tried snatching again. I also pressed my 24kg bell with my right arm for 1 rep (I couldn't press it with my left). I ordered a second 20kg kettlebell because I'd like to incorporate some double kettlebell work as I work towards graduating to the 24kg for pressing. I'm thinking I'll use Geoff Neupert's Strong programming on my short days - no idea if that will work or not, but I really want to try. I'm planning on keeping my S&S on other days and progressing slowly.

Last edited:
2018.06.21 [Thursday]

Sleep: I only got about 6 hours of sleep again. I woke up only an hour after falling asleep. Then I tossed and turned a little during the night and I woke up early. Intermittent Fasting might not be playing nice with my sleep.

Feeling: Not too shabby. I was alert and ready for the day. Could be the adrenaline from fasting though.

Warm-up Circuit (3x)

Simple & Sinister
Duration: 23:00
Average Heart Rate: 126
Max Heart Rate: 154

Cool Down
Hurdler Stretch
Butterfly Stretch
Frogger Stretch
Straddle Stretch
Hamstring Stretch

Thoughts: The swings felt pretty good. I'm pretty sure I could have done more sets with the 24kg, but I decided to keep playing it safe and scale slowly. The Get-Ups felt good too (though a more challenging transition than with swings) - but I failed a rep on my right side, somehow I let the weight get away from me and I couldn't roll up onto my elbow. I rested a moment and tried again, succeeded, and continued with my practice. I think next week I'll add another set of 24kg work.

My right forearm and hand are a little numb at work today. I think it's because I didn't have great form on my snatch with 20kg and re-aggravated my shoulder. No pain anywhere though.

PM Practice
No-gi BJJ

Last edited:
2018.06.22 [Friday]

Heart Rate Variability: 62
Elite HRV Score: 9S (Green)

Sleep: I was in bed for 7 hours. Bad sleep again. I hoping I hit something around 6.5 hours. Interestingly my alarm clock was turned off so I layed in bed relaxed (though awake) for much longer than I should have...

Feeling: I feel sick. I've got that feeling in my sinuses like I'm coming down with something along with extra fatigue and that feeling of weakness in my upper body. I haven't been taking Zyrtec (I used to take at dinnertime and now on IF I've forgotten all week!)

Soju & Tuba
Overhead Press - 20kg - 7x2 (Day 11)

Thoughts: I wanted to do more this morning, but my alarm clock mistake made sure I wouldn't do anything else. (Which is probably for the best considering how lousy I'm feeling at work today)

2018.06.25 [Monday]

Heart Rate Variability: 61

Sleep: I was in bed for a little over 7 hours, but woke up early (though I was able to get back to sleep for about 40 minutes until my alarm went off). Probably clocked about 6.5 hours of sleep.

Feeling: I had no energy this weekend and felt sick. I think it could be a combination of things, but I think I'm getting used to sleeping in a fasted state. It was good to see my HR be in the 40s during my morning reading again.

Warm-up
Speed Rope - 100 reps

Soju & Tuba
Overhead Press - 20kg - 4x3 (Day 15)

Upper Body Vanity Circuit (x5)
Dumbbell Bicep Curls - 20lb - 6
Tricep Band Pulldowns - Green Rogue Monster Band (65lb) - 6
Push-ups - 6

Cool Down
Hamstring Stretch

Thoughts: I realized that I won't be able to do my kettlebell training next week - the week I'm supposed to finish my current round of Soju & Tuba. So I decided to accelerate the program and finish this week. So I skipped a few days (including dropping the total load and increasing the number of reps) and plan on doing the last three exercises this week. This is in preparation for starting Genesis from Double Kettlebell Manifesto with double 20kg bells the week following. This morning's press workout was challenging (but doable) - so it might mean there's some prep work before I can seriously begin Genesis. We'll see. I'm excited about starting some double kettlebell work.

My shoulder doesn't hurt, but I am experiencing some forearm numbness and gripping a large thermos with my right hand feels weird (not painful, but not effortless/pleasant either). I really do need to try and meet with a medical professional.

PM
My arm and grip started feeling better shortly after I wrote the above update. On the exciting side of things - my second 20kg kettlebell arrived! I goofed with it very briefly to see how a double clean and press and a double squat felt with matching weights. Everything seemed good to go. I'm excited.

Last edited:
2018.06.26 [Tuesday]

Elite HRV Score: 6S (Yellow)

Sleep: I was in bed for a little over 7 hours. I woke up kind of alert after 4 hours. I got back to a fitful sleep for the remainder of the night. Probably about 6.5 to 6.75 hours of sleep total.

Feeling: Not too bad. Felt pretty energetic upon waking and was set for the day.

Warm-up Circuit (3x)

Simple & Sinister
Single Hand Kettlebell Swings - 10x10 [20kg 24kg 24kg 20kg 24kg]
Turkish Get Ups - 10 [20kg 24kg 24kg 20kg 24kg]
Duration: 22:19
Average Heart Rate: 132
Max Heart Rate: 161

Experimentation
Snatches - 16kg - 2x10

Cool Down
Hurdler Stretch
Butterfly Stretch
Frogger Stretch
Straddle Stretch
Hamstring Stretch

Thoughts: I added another set with 24kg to inch my way towards completing my transition to the 24kg. Everything felt pretty good today. The 24kg swings felt challenging at first (but better as I went interestingly). My TGUs all felt good. That was surprising. My shoulder and grip all felt pretty normal this morning. The snatches were very difficult and very fatiguing. I was winded even after the small volume I did. I want to start learning this movement. I should review technique before I ingrain any bad habits.

PM Practice
No-gi BJJ

Last edited:
2018.06.27 [Wednesday]

Heart Rate Variability: 61

Sleep: I was in bed for 7 hours, but I woke up 30 minutes early. 6.5 hours total sleep.

Feeling: I was alert and awake, no real carry-over pain or soreness from last night's BJJ.

Warm-up
40 Bodyweight Calf Raises (2s up, 2s pause, 2s down)

Practice (Complex) x 5
Double Kettlebell Clean & Press - 20kg - 3*
Double Kettlebell Squat - 20kg - 1
*Press volume equal to what Soju & Tuba would prescribe

Cool Down
Hamstring Stretch

Thoughts: I wanted to start some double kettlebell work to get ready for Genesis, but didn't want to cut Soju & Tuba short (even though I've already butchered this run-through of the program). So I turned the press workout into a clean and press workout and added a squat at the end of each set. It was much more challenging than I was expecting. The third rep was difficult each time and my CNS took more of a beating than usual (feeling it more at work than usual). Since I'll have a week of no lifting coming up shortly I've wondered if I should do a short bout of Armor Building Complex (variable times) when I get back to build up to Genesis. These are just my thoughts, no idea what I'll do. I'm happy with my decision to get double 20s instead of 16s though. It's very challenging but doable. I'm excited for what's coming. :)

PM Practice
BJJ (gi)

Last edited:
2018.06.28 [Thursday]

Sleep: I was in bed for 7 hours. I had difficulty falling asleep (mind still active from a late BJJ class) and I woke up early. Yet again I probably clocked around 6.5 hours.

Feeling: A little more beat up than I've been feeling this week. Some tightness in my thoracic spine too and general soreness from BJJ (I got all the big guys in succession last night. It was a little brutal!).

Warm-up Circuit (3x)
Arm Bars - 8kg (one each side with "pulses")

Simple & Sinister (low volume)
Single Hand Kettlebell Swings - 24kg - 4x10
Turkish Get Ups - 24kg - 4
Duration: 10:53
Average Heart Rate: 104
Max Heart Rate: 139

Thoughts: Between feeling a little beat up, having a resting heart rate above 50, having a bad HRV score, and an adorable little girl who wanted to play with my all morning I scaled back my Simple & Sinister practice. I was going to just do warm-up, but didn't want to stall progress on my transition to 24kg any more than necessary so I did 4 sets of swings and 4 get ups. This was probably still too much volume as I want to roll at BJJ tonight, but with a low volume week coming up I'm probably okay to push it a little? I hope anyways.

At work my T spine still feels sore/stiff/rigid, but I can tell the arm bars helped loosen things up. I'm a fan. I might also try adding a yoga wheel if t-spine work proves to be very effective.

PM Practice
No-gi BJJ

Last edited:
2018.06.29 [Friday]

Sleep: Had difficulty falling asleep last night. Woke up at about 6.5 hours of sleep.

Feeling: I was pretty sore when I went to bed last night from a very challenging (but great) night at BJJ - so I was surprised that I woke up feeling pretty good. I mean, I can tell I've been pushing the pace this week, but I don't have any DOMs to speak of and I feel better than yesterday.

Warm-up
Prying Goblet Squats - 16kg - 5
Arm Bar - 8kg - each side
Snatch - 16kg - 2x10

Practice (Complex) x 6
Double Kettlebell Clean & Press - 20kg - 3*
Double Kettlebell Squat - 20kg - 1
*Press volume equal to what Soju & Tuba would prescribe

Cool Down
Hamstring Stretch

Thoughts: The snatches didn't feel as brutal this morning. The pressing was very challenging (especially those third reps!). It was a nice short challenging morning and I can't complain at all.

Oh yeah - and this completes this round of Soju & Tuba (though altered at the end by skipping a few days and then doing as a double kettlebell clean and press).

PM Practice
BJJ (Mixed class - I wore gi)

Last edited:
2018.06.30 [Saturday]

Heart Rate Variability: 63

Sleep: Under 7 hours again. My daughter had some friends sleep over that woke us up 4 hours into sleep. I then had fitful sleep the remainder of the night.

Feeling: A little sore from this week. I pushed hard and tomorrow I get to rest. Excited to do a full S&S.

Warm-up Circuit (3x)

Simple & Sinister
Single Hand Kettlebell Swings - 10x10 [20kg 24kg 24kg 20kg 24kg]
Turkish Get Ups - 10 [20kg 24kg 24kg 20kg 24kg]
Duration: 23:47
Average Heart Rate: 119
Max Heart Rate: 151

Thoughts: Took my dog for a long walk after S&S, then went swimming my family and the sleepover crew. Had a great morning, but was exhausted the rest of the day and relaxed. No complaints. :)

2018.07.10 [Tuesday]

BACK FROM VACATION!

Resting HR: 48
Heart Rate Variability: 65
Elite HRV Score: 9P (Green)

Sleep: 8.5 hours of solid sleep! Wooooohoooooo! Of course this comes on the heels of a night of 4 hours, but we'll ignore that for now.

Feeling: I felt as good as you can on your first day back to the grind after a long vacation. That said, I'm hungry to lift weights again!

Warm-up Circuit
Bodyweight Squats - 5x

Armor Building Complex (10 "sets")
Double Kettlebell Clean - 20kg - 2
Double Kettlebell Press - 20kg - 1
Double Kettlebell Front Squat - 20kg - 3
Duration: 19:29
Average Heart Rate: 96
Max Heart Rate: 130

Thoughts: I expected this to be a nice easy transition back to double kettlebell work after a long vacation and I was wrong. I worked my tail off! I took nice long rests (starting a "set" every 2 minutes - a little longer than "I go, you go"). My form was a little off today too - I didn't focus enough on packing my shoulders. But I did it and I'm so happy to be back home with my kettlebells (not that I don't love vacations and rest days, aww - you guys [and gals] know what I mean).

2018.07.11 [Wednesday]

Long story short - I felt beat up from Armor Building Complex. My hamstrings and hip adductors are shot. I took it easy and just did OS Resets.

---

PM Practice
BJJ (gi)

2018.07.12 [Thursday]

Still feeling beat up and my legs (most notably hamstrings) are much tighter than I'd like for attempting a ballistic kettlebell movement (i.e. swings), so I decided to just do TGUs. I decided to do one warm-up set with 20kg and the rest with 24kg. It felt fine. No problems.

Practice
Turkish Get Ups - 10 [20kg 24kg 24kg 24kg 24kg]
Duration: 13:35
Average Heart Rate: 98
Max Heart Rate: 127

---

PM Practice
No-gi BJJ

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom