all posts post new thread

The Little Engine That Could

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
2018.07.13 [Friday]

Resting HR: 50
Heart Rate Variability: 66
Elite HRV Score: 8P (Green)

Sleep: Hard to tell because I had a hard time falling asleep and staying asleep. Probably just under 7 with one significant wake up and early stirring.

Feeling: Not bad. About how one should probably expect to feel after a vacation with no working out and going back to weight training and BJJ. ;P

Warm-up
Speed Rope - 100 reps
Indian Club movements
Arm Bars - 8kg (one each side with "pulses")
Bodyweight Squats - 5x

Double Kettlebell Workout
Set1234567
DCP1212121
DFS3232323
Duration: 13:43
Average Heart Rate: 104
Max Heart Rate: 137

Cool Down
Hurdler Stretch
Butterfly Stretch
Frogger Stretch
Straddle Stretch
Hamstring Stretch

Thoughts: I wrote out my own program for double kettlebell clean and press and double kettlebell front squat while I was on vacation. After the severe beating I took from trying to do the Armor Building Complex this week and evaluating my options I think it might actually not be the worst thing ever. I tested out the W1 D1 workout today. I'll see how I recover and decide if it's doable. If I can't handle S&S tomorrow I'll know it's too much.

2018.07.14 [Saturday]

Resting HR: 50
Heart Rate Variability: 59
Elite HRV Score: 7S (Green)

Sleep: Late night with friends and my dog (combined with the sun being up) got me up early. Only about 5.5 hours of sleep.

Feeling: Fairly well awake, but I know a crash is coming later. My should is feeling a bit dodgy, but I really wanted to do an S&S session with the 24kg.

Warm-up Circuit (3x)
Prying Goblet Squat - 24kg 5x
Single Leg Deadlift - 24kg 5x each leg

Simple & Sinister
Single Hand Kettlebell Swings - 24kg - 10x10
Turkish Get Ups - 24kg - 10
Duration: 25:48
Average Heart Rate: 123
Max Heart Rate: 155

Thoughts: Challening - but I did the whole routine with 24kg. Upping the weight on the single leg deadlift at the same time might not have been the best idea. I might want to reduce the number of reps since that should just be warm-up. Seems like I'm needlessly frying my CNS.

2018.07.16 [Monday]

My muscles and joints aren't feeling great lately and after pushing a little harder than usual lately and an anniversary weekend with little sleep, I decided to just sleep in and aim for recovery.

---

PM Practice
BJJ - gi

2018.07.17 [Tuesday]

Resting HR: 49
Heart Rate Variability: 63
Elite HRV Score: 10P (Green)

Sleep: In bed for 7 hours. One major wake up with fitful sleep towards the end. Probably clocked around 6.5 hours of solid sleep.

Feeling: Muscles and joints are feeling better today - even after a pretty intense night at BJJ last night. I decided to try to squeeze in one of my double kettlebell workouts. I really focused on packing my shoulders this time though!

Double Kettlebell Practice
Set1234567
DCP1212121
DFS3232323
Duration: 14:00
Average Heart Rate: 100
Max Heart Rate: 135

Thoughts: I didn't do any warm-up or cool-down. I just jumped right into this. It felt better than when I did it last week. This kind of messed up my preferred practice schedule for the week, but it's probably what I needed. Apparently I have a lot of recovery to catch up on right now? I'll see how I feel tomorrow (and how much time I have), but tomorrow might be mobility work in the morning.

---

PM Practice
No-gi BJJ

2018.07.18 [Wednesday]

Resting HR: 48

Sleep: In bed for a little over 7 hours. Woke up after 5. Fitful sleep the remaining 2. Probably about 6.5 hours sleep.

Feeling: Not too shabby.

Warm-up
KB Snatches - 16kg - 2x10
Prying Goblet Squat - 16kg - 5

Humane Burpee @ 28kg (from @North Coast Miller's post here)
10 Swings
5 Goblet squats*
Inchworm out to the push-up position
5 Push-ups*
Inchworm back to starting position
*Repeat the whole complex decrementing the number of squats and push-ups each time.
Duration: 9:30
Average Heart Rate: 135
Max Heart Rate: 156

Cool Down
TGUs - 24kg - 1 each side
Hurdler Stretch
Butterfly Stretch
Frogger Stretch
Straddle Stretch
Hamstring Stretch

Thoughts: I was short on time and still wanted to do something. So I decided to try out this tidy little workout I saw on the forums yesterday. I performed each "set" every other minute - which meant rests got longer as I went (since active period shortened each iteration). In the moment I thought maybe that wasn't great, but now I think it might have allowed me to stay crisp the whole time (with reduced rest while I was still fresh). I used my heaviest bell (28kg) and was happy with my level of effort. Not a bad morning.

Last edited:
2018.07.19 [Thursday]

Resting HR: 52
Heart Rate Variability: 62
Elite HRV Score: 7P (Green)

Sleep: In bed 7 hours. Slept six and woke up alert. Rested in bed until alarm went off.

Feeling: A little tired and banged up as the week drags on. I also had a slight headache.

Warm-up
Halos - 16kg - 5x each direction
KB Snatches - 16kg - 2x10
Prying Goblet Squat - 16kg - 5

Double Kettlebell Workout
Set1234
DCP2323
DFS2121
Duration: 8:00
Average Heart Rate: 112
Max Heart Rate: 135

Cool Down
Hamstring Stretch

Thoughts: This really wasn't all that bad for a morning when I was super pressed for time. I was pretty close to failure on that last set of 3 - so there's a lot of room for improvement. I'm really growing to like my every other minute on the minute timing of these workouts. My recovery hasn't been stellar this week - possibly some of it has to do with my sleep being off, but I may need to rethink trying to combine my clean and press program with Simple & Sinister (and BJJ at night). I haven't even been able to do a full week of my planned program and it's pretty intense as is. Or I press through until SAID and enjoy the benefits (if that's even possible). All decisions in the future - for now I'm happy with today's practice.

2018.07.21 [Saturday]

Resting HR: 47
Heart Rate Variability: 65

Sleep: A little over 6 hours of sleep. Had to get up early to go to the Farmer's Market. Some friends and I went in and bought a cow together and had to pick it up.

Feeling: Practicing later in the day is pretty nice. I was more awake and felt stronger just from being active.

Warm-up Circuit (3x)
Single Leg Deadlift - 24kg 5x each leg

Simple & Sinister
Duration: 23:11
Average Heart Rate: 121
Max Heart Rate: 155

Cool Down
Hurdler Stretch
Butterfly Stretch
Frogger Stretch
Straddle Stretch
Hamstring Stretch

Thoughts: Everything felt good. I'm happy to be moving comfortably into this being my standard working weight.

2018.07.23 [Monday]

Resting HR: 48
Heart Rate Variability: 61
Elite HRV Score: 7P (Green)

Sleep: About 7 hours. Tossed and turned lightly, but generally good sleep.

Feeling: I feel very restored from this weekend. I hope this continues - I've cycled off of Creatine and DAA (and some other supplements) for some blood testing in a few weeks (want to read baseline).

Set1234567
DCP1212121
DFS3232323
Duration: 13:26
Average Heart Rate: 108
Max Heart Rate: 136

Thoughts: I started to compress my rest periods. Every 2 minutes seemed like it was taking forever and I felt recovered pretty quickly. This is a good challenging weight for me. I'm curious about Wednesday and doing sets of 3 on the Clean and Press.

---

PM Practice
BJJ (gi)

2018.07.24 [Tuesday]

Resting HR: 52
Heart Rate Variability: 62
Elite HRV Score: 8P (Green)

Sleep: Terrible. I was moderately upset about something when I went to bed last night. I kept me up thinking about it. I had dreams about it. I had 2 fully alert wake ups and fitful sleep when I could. I wasn't expecting all that. I hope I got a little over 6 hours of sleep. I have no idea though. It was a pretty lousy night.

Feeling: Once awake I didn't feel all that bad (I suspect it'll hit me tomorrow). My left ankle is a bit sore - I hurt a little after BJJ last night. I can't event think of when something would have happened to it.

Warm-up Circuit (3x)
Single Leg Deadlift - 24kg 3x each leg

Simple & Sinister (Only swings today)
Duration: 11:04
Average Heart Rate: 131
Max Heart Rate: 170

Cool Down
Hurdler Stretch
Butterfly Stretch
Frogger Stretch
Straddle Stretch
Hamstring Stretch

Thoughts: I had to drop the TGUs this morning. My parents showed up with one of the neices for a play day with my daughter. But they showed up REALLY early. I made it through my swings, but there were too many people running around my house (not to mention trying to accommodate everyone was taking too much time and making me late) to finish the full S&S practice. So I put up the KB, stretched and called it a day.

PM Practice
No-gi BJJ

*I've been very busy lately and haven't logged my workout here for the past two weeks. While some of my practice was skipped due to work travel and other issues, I still got most of my sessions in. A handful each of S&S, BJJ, and DCP + DFS. I'll try to hop back on the logging train...

2018.08.06 [Monday]

Resting HR: 46

Sleep: Around 6.5 hours of sleep. Tried to sleep in late to hit 7 hours. Woke up early. Simply rested in bed until I fell asleep again.

Feeling: Not too bad. My last workout was early on Saturday and I had the whole weekend to recuperate. Ready to keep working on sets of 3 double presses.

Set12345
DCP33333
DFS22222

Thoughts: My knee was mostly better (was a little painful last week) and I felt it become irritated during my practice this morning. I looked up some info on knee pain during squats. I've got some form cues and I might try to box squat if I can find something the appropriate height.

This volume was great. Challenging and rewarding!

---

PM Practice
BJJ (gi)

2018.08.07 [Tuesday]

Resting HR: 47
Heart Rate Variability: 67
Elite HRV Score: 5P (Yellow)

Sleep: I tried to get 7 hours but probably fell a little short.

Feeling: I was a little sore from BJJ. My knee felt pretty good actually. And my shoulder was only a little bit sore.

Warm-up Circuit (1x)
Single Leg Deadlift - 24kg 3x each leg

Simple & Sinister
Duration: 23:45
Average Heart Rate: 119
Max Heart Rate: 153

Cool Down
Hurdler Stretch
Butterfly Stretch
Frogger Stretch
Straddle Stretch
Hamstring Stretch

Thoughts: I skimped on the warm up this morning (just one set instead of three). This was mostly due to time - but might not have been a bad idea for knee recovery as well. I was a little demotivated, but felt good once I started swinging. 24kg is slowly getting easier for swings, but oddly felt harder on TGUs today (possibly due to yesterday's pressing?). Energy-wise recovery hasn't been a problem, but my neck/shoulder is getting that same old discomfort at work post-practice.

Last edited:
I hit BJJ hard last week - going almost every night. My daughter also started a new phase where she wakes my wife and I up each night at 3 because she wants to sleep with us. Then she kicks us the rest on the night and we hardly sleep. Because of the harder training the less sleeping I was feeling pretty beat up by the end of the week.

Then I had a BJJ tournament over the weekend. I won all my matches and took my division. But I rolled on my neck to maintain a triangle in one of my matches (held it and got the tap). I didn't feel any pain that day.

Now my neck is locked up and I've got shooting pain.

BJJ and weight training are paused for now I guess. :/

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom