all posts post new thread

The Little old Lady getting back to training

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Little old Lady

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi Folks. I'm an old timer who started strength training 20 years ago when her knees got too rickety for high impact training and running. I've followed a basic strength training routine 2 - 3 times a week for years, until life events got in the way, basically working full time and caring for Elderly Parents. One Parent passed in January 2019, the other has multiple health problems which lead to me becoming a full time carer 7 weeks ago. I'm now living with remaining Parent providing total care and desperate to reclaim my strength. I cannot access a gym as the Parent cannot be left unattended for more than 30 minutes. I have 50 kg of free weights here and bars, will get a chin up bar at the weekend. This will be a difficult journey, I was strong enough to do pull ups as recently as a year ago, but I feel weak as a kitten now. Nutrition has gone haywire due to meeting everyone else's needs but my own. The first step starts tomorrow. Thanks for reading, I aim to quietly log my progress here. The weights will impress no-one, this is for me and my future.

Apologies for the typos in previous posts. Having read other members training logs, what was I thinking doing BW squats when I have dumbbells? Switched to 5 kg goblet squats. AM Conditioning: 5 minutes static bike. 25 x GS: 10 PU : 25 GS: 10PU: 25 GS : 9 PU : 25 GS : 9 PU.

Welcome! Looks like you are off to a great start and you've come to a good place. Let us know how we can help. If there's ever anything I can help with specifically, I'd be happy to, just tag me (to tag someone type @ and then start typing forum name, select when it comes up on a selection drop list).

PM Strength: 40 kg DL x 10,9,8 : 11kg DB BP x 6 : 9kg Dumbell BC x 4, 3,1 : F/R/L raises : 2 mins plank. I need to load the DL bar more next time. My pull up bar does not fit door frames here. There is a "rustic" outdoor gym at the local park 5 mins walk away. I need to either pluck up the courage to do negative PU reps in public or @Anna C welcome anyone's suggestions for free weight substitutes that work the same muscles.

suggestions for free weight substitutes that work the same muscles.

As you do your presses, resist the negative and pretend you are doing a pull-up. This can help quite a bit to get started. When you get to a bar, if you can use a step or chair to get up, then do a flexed arm hang, that's good too. Negative reps would be next.

Really grateful to have found Strongfirst. Reading your training logs prevents me finding excuses not to train. I'm getting my nutrition sorted, was finding it far too easy to eat bad food and sit in a pity party lamenting my weakness. My goal is "stronger" so focus now I've established some training is 3 weight sessions a week, 15 mins on the static bike daily and start going to the park to work on the pull up bars.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom