all posts post new thread

The Meat Log

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

LoriLifts

Level 10 Valued Member
I'm going to use this place for talking about the Carnivore diet.
I started a daily food log before. Trouble is, after a couple days, I ran out of things to write. Steak, burgers, bacon, steak, burgers, bacon, cheese.

I'll use this space for...meat talk, I guess. It will probably evolve as I add more posts.

Here is a 62 year old power lifter. She transitioned from a keto diet to a carnivore one.
download.jpg

After much trial and error, I think I've found the best way to cook bacon.
400 degree oven.
Line a baking sheet with foil
Place wire rack over baking sheet.
Put bacon on wire rack.
Cook about 15 min
Voila! Crispy bacon!

I like it, I'm in.
No more flabby bacon for you!

I ordered a bunch of fancy, expensive beef from Lone Mountain Wagu.
The ranch is in New Mexico and the cattle are full blood wagu. Wagu beef is as close as we can get to Kobe in the US. Very tender and marbled meat.

My beef arrived last week. I'm an average cook. Even with a Black Friday discount, this meat was an investment.

After extensive research, I took the plunge and cooked the 3 lb Italian roast.
Salt and pepper.
Out of the fridge for 30 min.
500 degrees for 20 min.
2oo degrees for 2 hours.

Success!
This is the tenderest roast I've ever eaten.
I've been eating it for 3 days and it's still fantastic.
I wish I could find a bag of money and eat wagu beef everyday.

I'll be working out of town on Monday.
I usually like hotel life but I'm especially looking forward to this one.
I'll be in Durango, Colorado, home of my favorite place to get meat, James Ranch.
I need to bring the big cooler...

Uh-oh.
I've already run out of content for my meat log.

I may change the name to The Fasting Log. Some form of fasting seems to be the common denominator of my diet.

I am currently doing a 20 hr fasting/4 hr eating schedule. I open my window around 3 with a snack (sometimes meat, sometimes not).
Then I eat my main meal around 6.

This "delay, don't deny" is the path of least resistance for me.
Sometimes I'll be tempted with some kind of food in my fasting window.
I say to myself "Is this window worthy?"
If so, I wait until my 3-7 window to eat it.

I was catching up on Shawn Baker's twitter and he referenced a SF post!

I'm moving back into the carnivore path again. I think I've been off/on for a couple years.

Seems like all the changes in my life take the slow road. It took me 5 years to run my first marathon. I remember buying a book about marathon training. Taking it on/off a shelf for about 3 years. Starting and stopping training for a couple years. Finally did it.

I bought a Groupon for Firebellz. It expired because after a year, I never used it. Took me almost 2 years to finally walk in and begin KB training.

Ground beef defrosting in the fridge.

I'm looking forward to some mighty fine meals.

On Monday night I'm working out of town.
I'll be getting my dinner from a really tasty BBQ joint.
Smoked brisket and sausage.
No sauce or sides, just meaty goodness.

I just ordered some meat for Christmas (no cooking for me).
Smoked turkey breast from Texas.
Brisket from New York.

Dang it, the BBQ place is closed on Monday.
Now I have no meat related content.
Guess I’ll go to sleep...

Last edited:
Brisket from "New York City"????????

Heathen

I'm looking forward to some mighty fine meals.

On Monday night I'm working out of town.
I'll be getting my dinner from a really tasty BBQ joint.
Smoked brisket and sausage.
No sauce or sides, just meaty goodness.

I just ordered some meat for Christmas (no cooking for me).
Smoked turkey breast from Texas.
Brisket from New York.

Christmas Day eats..

Couple slices of bacon before our afternoon hike.
Bacon and coffee rocks!

For dinner I'm cooking up some shrimp in the air fryer. Also, smoked turkey breast. Cheese for dessert.

It's New Years Day and we're stuck in a snowstorm!
Good thing I have some bacon in the fridge. I also pulled out some burgers to thaw for dinner.
My biggest fear is running out of coffee.

My biggest fear is running out of coffee
For real. Brown plant water may not be carnivore, but it's a full on necessity some days. Most days. Pretty much all days.

Sometimes I wonder why a naturally occurring insecticide is an important part my life, then I stop wondering, because I don't really care to have that question answered.

Gotta get those #phytonutrients.

Ahhhh, coffee the elixir of the Gods. Honestly I drink too much coffee. I probably drink between 64 to 80 onces a day. Unfortunately this cuts down on my water intake as I don't want to be standing in front of a urinal all day. I still manage to get in the same amount of water as I do coffee but my water intake should be about 100 oz.

Some of the coffee I use is half-caf. As hard as it is for me to admit that, I had to go to half-caf to take the edge off. After becoming sober that seems to not be needed so much.

One issue I've always wondered about is all that caffeine. Not so much as is it unhealthy, but at the rate I take it in is it allowing me to get to where I want to be? Caffeine as a stimulate should be causing a rise in cortisol levels if I understand all of this biochemistry correctly. Could this higher cortisol level be causing a higher body fat level?

I ask Al Ciampa about this once and his answer was possibly. What are other's thoughts on this.

Sorry for capturing your food log Lori. Probably should have put this in mine or just ask it in another thread.

Unfortunately this cuts down on my water intake
I feel like this concern tends to be overblown. Coffee is mostly water, and while caffeine is a diuretic, you can't really get enough of it from coffee to dehydrate you. Ounce for ounce, coffee is almost as hydrating as water.

Caffeine as a stimulate should be causing a rise in cortisol levels if I understand all of this biochemistry correctly. Could this higher cortisol level be causing a higher body fat level?
Definitely possible, as caffeine does usually cause some cortisol increase. People who drink coffee regularly tend to have a diminished cortisol response to it, but many people underestimate how much it messes with their sleep. With that much coffee intake, I doubt that it's all in the early morning; maybe I'm wrong. Generally speaking, anything that messes with sleep will raise cortisol indirectly. Only one way to find out for sure...As if you didn't have enough to think about.

I'm in the process of reducing my intake right now, since my schedule is actually allowing a healthy amount of sleep right now. It's losing it's effectiveness, and chemical dependence isn't particularly useful.

I feel like this concern tends to be overblown. Coffee is mostly water, and while caffeine is a diuretic, you can't really get enough of it from coffee to dehydrate you. Ounce for ounce, coffee is almost as hydrating as water.

Glad you said this. This has always been my response to trainers when they questioned my coffee intake. I believe it's 98% water.

People who drink coffee regularly tend to have a diminished cortisol response to it, but many people underestimate how much it messes with their sleep. With that much coffee intake, I doubt that it's all in the early morning; maybe I'm wrong.

Very good point, coffee has very little effect on me. My sleep seems to be as good as it ever was. I seldom have coffee after 1500-1600. Once in awhile in a social setting I'll have a later cup. Seldom do I find it effects my sleep.

I just never have found anything else that seems to be without other issues. I don't drink soda, juice, or alcohol. So other than water, coffee is my vice.

coffee has very little effect on me.
Certainly possible; some people metabolize caffeine very quickly. When was the last time you abstained for week? If it's been a while, you might be surprised at what can sneak up on you.

I don't drink soda, juice, or alcohol. So other than water, coffee is my vice.
True enough, all things considered, it's one of the more benign substances out there.

@LoriLifts is going to throw her coffee mug through her computer screen when she logs in ROFL

Sorry for capturing your food log Lori. Probably should have put this in mine or just ask it in another thread.
Thank you for keeping my meat log alive. I struggle to come up with meat related topics.

I welcome all comments.

@LoriLifts is going to throw her coffee mug through her computer screen when she logs in
But then I'd spill my coffee!
Not gonna happen!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom