all posts post new thread

Bodyweight The Military PT Test Guide

• Thread starter Deleted member 5559
  • Start date
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 5559

I have read quite a few posts requesting advice for improving military PT test scores. I thought I would start a thread to capture the "best of" advice to help our future patriots.

1. To do more reps, do more reps
  2. To run faster, run faster
  3. Focus on the movement patterns required for the test
    • Horizontal Press
    • Vertical Pull
    • Anterior Hinge
    • Locomotion (Swim and Run)
That said, here are a few workouts I have done that I felt made a significant difference in my scores.
  1. Run: 5min easy pace + 3min walk + 4min moderate pace + 3min walk + 3min significant pace + 3min walk + 2min fast pace + 3min walk + 1min sprint + 3min walk
  2. Pull-Up Ladders 1-7-1(1)
  3. GTG test: half max reps + half test distance run

Sounds like a plan.

It seems like you're trying to get your run times down without beating yourself up, which is not a bad way to approach it. Another way to approach it could be to do the half distance run and then add sets of swings done to a maffetone protocol that will extend the workout to longer than the actual test but not beat yourself up the process.

It's a good thing to have in the back of your mind to know you can go the distance or time and not hit the wall before you get there.

Good luck with it let us know how you go.

Last edited:
Which military PT test are you trying to improve? There are quite a few different ones, thus requiring different tactics. For example the standard US Army PT test consists of 2 mins of push-ups and sit-ups with a 2 mile run, though the Ranger PT test consists of the same push-ups and sit-ups, but also adds pull-ups and the run is 5 miles. Though here's some of the tactics that I use to prep:
  • Flutter kicks - these will strengthen the hip flexors (which is the true muscles used during sit-ups/crunches)
  • Heavy Swings - these strengthen the rear deltoids which assist in improving push-up numbers
  • Sprints - not long, but fast, like super fast. 400, 300, 200, 100m sprints do wonders for long distance running
  • GTG - like you stated though I use them multiple times throughout the day (ex: 40 push-ups 3x per day)
  • But one of the biggest things I found is keeping up with mobility and preventing injury is top of the priority list. If you're injured, you can't improve on the test.
Just my $.02
-WF

FIRST! I have to echo @Whiskey_Fox comments about the variety between the various services tests.

Second, It has been my experience that too many confuse training for the test and "training the test"

Training sessions should include runs that are shorter(faster pace/interval) and longer(slower pace/endurance) and should not be exclusively of the same distance and speed of your service test. Multiple published journal articles have shown that training the test exclusively over a 6 week time period produced measurable decreases in capacity.

Ditto for your strength components. GTG, slow cadence work(10 count or 30 second pushups), and static holds will give you the biggest bang for your buck.

This advice isn't really for me, I am already a vet. I thought there seemed to be a bunch of posts asking the question and that a nice consolidated thread would help.

Last edited by a moderator:
@aciampa? Didn't you self-publish something on this topic?

This thread would be a fine place to place links to other threads discussing this, including any blogs we have here.

-S-

@aciampa? Didn't you self-publish something on this topic?

@Steve Freides the manual you are referring was intended to be a course supplement. I wrote it as a handout for students that I was instructing daily for a 10 week period. It was never meant to be a stand alone training manual, and it does not include PT test preparation (the topic of this thread). It contains my philosophy, followed by an introductory training program, and finishes with samples of other training programs. There are lots of gems in there discussing running and rucking, and other components to a solid military training program, but this is not the focus and, in my opinion, is not articulated well.

Of course it depends on which military PT test you are training for. I was the staff exercise physiologist at the US Naval Academy for a while and had lots of experience with training Midshipmen for the Navy and Marine Corps PT tests. I developed some simple, easy to follow programs that are available for free download here:

Prevost Training

If you follow the link to the free e-book, "Built to Endure, Training the Tactical Athlete" you will find those programs and more (i.e., SEAL screener program) in the appendices. These are the programs that I tested and tweaked over 3 years while on staff at the Naval Academy. We had pretty good success.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom