all posts post new thread

Nutrition The more LDL, or “bad cholesterol,” you have, the more muscle you build during resistance training.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Assuming you mean the kind of meat you buy in the supermarket that comes 'ready cooked'...you just take it out of the packet and eat it...

I was taught this stuff was to be avoided at all costs...I thought it counted as 'processed meat' and carries all kinds of health risks.

Would very much value your (and any other knowledgeable people) opinion on this?

It would replace some of the considerable amounts of tinned (canned) small fish that I currently consume, as I can't cook meat where I'm living (long story).
I am not an expert, so this is only the limited knowledge I have. I think normally people that would advise to stay away from packaged deli meats are saying so because of the high amount of sodium used. If you are not on a sodium restricted diet, there shouldn't be any reason you would have to avoid all deli meats. Generally, the concern about high sodium and high fats that are in these meats is outdated and bad science to begin with.

Of course, that is different if you are a pregnant woman, as there is still a concern about Listeria, but I'm assuming that's not what you are referring to.

Dave Feldman is an engineer who played around with cholesterol tests quite a bit to see how they were manipulated by diet. Here is one of his early videos:

I find his work interesting (and it makes me think that one test of cholesterol is almost like getting on a scale once; that one measurement does not say as much as multiple measurements).

EDIT: I see that @kennycro@@aol.com mentioned this already

Assuming you mean the kind of meat you buy in the supermarket that comes 'ready cooked'...you just take it out of the packet and eat it...

Ready Cooked

Yes, it is ready cook, ready to eat out of the package.

I thought it counted as 'processed meat' and carries all kinds of health risks.

No One Knows

There are probably better choices. However, I don't see a problem with the amount that I am consuming.

With that in mind, my question are...

1) Dosage: How much do you need to consume before it makes you ill?

2) What illness will you end up with?

3) When will it kill you?

Last edited:
If you are not on a sodium restricted diet, there shouldn't be any reason you would have to avoid all deli meats. Generally, the concern about high sodium and high fats that are in these meats is outdated and bad science to begin with.

Sodium

As you stated, the concern for Sodium intake is over blow for healthy individual.

Sodium, Your Secrete Weapon

,,,Many problems with athletic performance or sub-maximal athletic performance, even failure to improve, begin when athletes reduce or eliminate sodium from their diets.

High Salt Diets & Athletic Performance

This is an excellent interview with Dr James Dinicolantonio on the benefits of sodium for athletes and why most healthy individual need to consume more rather than cut back.

Last edited:
I keep forgetting to check back on this thread....

,,,Many problems with athletic performance or sub-maximal athletic performance, even failure to improve, begin when athletes reduce or eliminate sodium from their diets.

I commonly see critics of ketogenics diets saying that it's "bad for your thyroid." However, if I'm not mistaken, this is mitigated by.... adequate salt intake. It is interesting to me how a lot of the things that are "bad" for you (according to mainstream science/dieticians) are actually good for you in you're not eating a bunch of overly processed carbs and sugars. Including cholestrol. Low sugar/high cholesterol seems to look perfectly fine. High sugar/high cholesterol, not so much. At least that's the gist I get from what I've been exposed to.

I forget the name of the book, but there's a book about the Mongol Empire, and there's a blurb I saw someone post on instagram regarding their diet. I believe it was about their attempted invasion into western Europe. I'm heavily paraphrasing here, but it explained how the Mongols ate primarily meat and fat (and the blood of their horses if needed, if I'm not mistaken here), and the Europeans ate primarily grain/based gruel. The quote went on to say how the Mongols had seemingly endless stamina and strength and the Europeans could barely keep up.

The point being: how many of those mongols do you think were crippled by heart disease?

critics of ketogenics diets

"Ignorance Breeds Contempt"

The majority of critics are those with a limited knowledge regarding the Ketogenic Diet. In plain English, they are ignorant. Their ignorance is a choice.

What the know regarding the Ketogenic Diet is based on a couple of sentence they have read or heard.

Rather than make an investment in learning. they chose ignorance.

Cholesterol Levels

Seventy percent of you cholesterol level is produced by your body rather than diet.

Blood Lipid Profile

The majority of individual don't know how to read a Blood Lipid Profile. Many physician either don't know how to read a Blood Profile or either or don't take the time to break it down.

Physicians often only look and one or two individual number. Doing so, provides them with a "Snap Shot" but not the "Complete Picture".

Information on how to breakdown the number on a Blood Lipid Profile have previously been post on this site.

My Education

As I have mentioned, I have been on the Ketogenic Diet since July 2016 due to a metabolic condition.

There was a definitely learning process that I went through. Initially, I was looking at individual number. Because that is what is taught and preached.

Thus, when some of my number were high like LDL and Total Cholesterol, I had some concerns.

Another one of my concerns was how my Triglycerides dropped through the floor.

Once I learned the relationship of certain part of the Blood Profile to each other, I realized that my number are very good.

Ketogenic Diet Strength Training

Essentially, the Ketogenic Diet is more like an "Upside Down Diet" comparative to the Traditional Standard American Diet.

The issue with many individual who go on a Ketogenic Diet is they continue to train the same as when they were on the Standard American Diet.

With the Ketogenic Diet a different training approach needs to be employed. This has also been discussed in length on this site.

Summary

1) It took me about a year to really understand how the Ketogenic Diet works.

2) It took me about a year of research along with "Trial and Error" practice to understand how to write a "Ketogenic Strength Training Program".

3) Individual who devote 8 - 12 month of study and research will know approximately 80% about any subject.

4) The remaining 20% of knowledge gained on any subject is a slow process that requires time.

With that said, I am in the 20% learn phases and inching along; slowly but surely.

The 20% Zone is a very humbling process.

Last edited:
I keep forgetting to check back on this thread....

I commonly see critics of ketogenics diets saying that it's "bad for your thyroid." However, if I'm not mistaken, this is mitigated by.... adequate salt intake. It is interesting to me how a lot of the things that are "bad" for you (according to mainstream science/dieticians) are actually good for you in you're not eating a bunch of overly processed carbs and sugars. Including cholestrol. Low sugar/high cholesterol seems to look perfectly fine. High sugar/high cholesterol, not so much. At least that's the gist I get from what I've been exposed to.

I forget the name of the book, but there's a book about the Mongol Empire, and there's a blurb I saw someone post on instagram regarding their diet. I believe it was about their attempted invasion into western Europe. I'm heavily paraphrasing here, but it explained how the Mongols ate primarily meat and fat (and the blood of their horses if needed, if I'm not mistaken here), and the Europeans ate primarily grain/based gruel. The quote went on to say how the Mongols had seemingly endless stamina and strength and the Europeans could barely keep up.

The point being: how many of those mongols do you think were crippled by heart disease?
Thinking you will find this an interesting read.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom