all posts post new thread

Nutrition The more LDL, or “bad cholesterol,” you have, the more muscle you build during resistance training.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Sometimes Saladino (MD) will respond to a posted comment on blood work. I would go to Heart & Soil .com and email or IG or whatever, your numbers and the stool info. and see what he says. And maybe a digestive enzyme would help with the later.

Last edited:
@Don Fairbanks,
I've worked in a "health food" (such a dumb label) grocery chain for over a decade. I'm well aware about not "prescribing" supplements. Although a lot of this cholesterol talk is fairly new and definitely controversial, I'll gladly take the "compliment." (y)

High overall cholesterol, as I expected.

Cholesterol total: 303
HDL:75
LDL: 214
Triglycerides: 70

So if I'm following @kennycro@@aol.com 's math above correctly:

Remnant cholesterol= total chol. - (HDL+LDL)
303- (214+75)= 14

Triglyceride ratio-

Triglycerides/HDL=
70/75=0.9333

So those are good numbers I think?

You got math right.

Based on the information that I have found, they it appear those are good numbers.

However, I am not a doctor and I am not sure if many doctors understand cholesterol.

A Lipidologist MD who specializes that is certified with the American Board of Clinical Lipidology would be the person to consult. Good luck with finding someone like that; I haven't had much luck.

If I am understanding everything correctly, I believe my LDL is high because 90% of my fat intake is from eggs and red meat.

Yes, saturated fat increase LDL levels. It also increases HDL level; which no on tell you about.

I'm supposed to meet with their nutritionist, and depending on what she says I may try to go more in the route of a keto-ish diet: less overall meat and more fats from coconut, olive oil etc.

I've found that most nutritionist are like General Practitioner Medical Doctors. They have very little knowledge regarding Ketogenic Diets or Carnivore Diets.

With that said, I didn't either at first. It took me about of being on the Ketogenic Diet, a few blood test and a lot of research time before I got up to speed.

The problem is that many physicians and nutritionist lack knowledge in this are and have no practical experience in this area.

I'll be getting another blood lab in a few months to see how things change.

Please post them when you get them.

I have my yearly physical coming up. I'll post my numbers when I get them.

I recommend you have CT scan for coronary calcium.
I agree.

Steve know more about this than I do.

@Don Fairbanks I just got these labs back. Still making heads/tails of it but this what came up:

High overall cholesterol, as I expected.

Cholesterol total: 303
HDL:75
LDL: 214
Triglycerides: 70

So if I'm following @kennycro@@aol.com 's math above correctly:

Remnant cholesterol= total chol. - (HDL+LDL)
303- (214+75)= 14

Triglyceride ratio-

Triglycerides/HDL=
70/75=0.9333

So those are good numbers I think?

The doctor said she would like to get my cholesterol down. I think not as much because of the numbers themselves, but because I also had a stool sample analyzed for microbiome which showed slightly high/elevated levels of candida and low numbers of beneficial microorganisms. Her conclusion based off of everything was that it seems like I have signs of high inflammation/stress/cortisol which could be driving my cholesterol up.

If I am understanding everything correctly, I believe my LDL is high because 90% of my fat intake is from eggs and red meat.

I don't know the ins and outs of this science very well, but I can't argue that I feel stressed out a lot. I also need to note that since these tests were taken, I have been eating more squash/pumpkin and sweet potato lately, as well as fermented veggies.

I'm supposed to meet with their nutritionist, and depending on what she says I may try to go more in the route of a keto-ish diet: less overall meat and more fats from coconut, olive oil etc.I'll be getting another blood lab in a few months to see how things change.
if your gut microbiome is a bit off try drinking (or brewing then drinking) some kefir.

if your gut microbiome is a bit off try drinking (or brewing then drinking) some kefir.
Is there anything special about kefir in comparison to other things, e.g., many yogurts, that also say they have live cultures? Lately I'm partial to something called Labne that I buy in Whole Foods, which is apparently a "strained yogurt" - WF sells it in the soft cheese section. Whatever it is, it's tasty. Most resembles sour cream, IMO.

-S-

A Lipidologist MD who specializes that is certified with the American Board of Clinical Lipidology would be the person to consult. Good luck with finding someone like that; I haven't had much luck.
That's why I'm thinking that if I can get everything else to look good (including microbiome and some other high/low things that turned up) I'll just call it good there and not worry about the high cholesterol.
I've found that most nutritionist are like General Practitioner Medical Doctors. They have very little knowledge regarding Ketogenic Diets or Carnivore Diets.
They seem like they do, at least to a point. The doctor said that she has a carnivore client who has awesome numbers. Not sure why his cholesterol isn't high though..... she seemed to be attributing mine to high stress and gut inflammation, which would be both accurate. I've been doing well (I think) by incorporating squash and small amounts of tubers, so we'll see.

They seem like they do, at least to a point.

"At Least To A Point..."

That smacks of knowing a little about something but not that much.

The issue with many General Practitioner Physicians are they are a "Jack of all trades and master of none". They know a little (emphasis on Little) about a many thing but their in depth knowledge is very shallow.

Secondly, the average physician has approximately 6 college hour in nutrition. Many of the individual on this site have invested more time and have more knowledge that most physicians.

Third, most physicians knowledge regarding the Ketogenic Diet, Carnivore, etc is even more limited.

Science Is Fluid

New research continue to be updated and change. Most physician knowledge is often comes from that last century, 20th Century.

A lot of new research data has appeared twenty years later, in the 21st Century.

Due to the work demand, physician have not been able to keep up with nutrition, pharmacology, physical therapy, exercise physiology, etc.

My Primary Care Physician

He only looks at LDL. If it is high (as mine is) he prescribes a stain; or in my case tries to bully me into taking a statin.

He refuses to engage in any discussion that I try to have with him. As he basically informed me on my last visit,
"I am the doctor, you aren't, just do what I tell you to do." The two previous physician that I had, basically stated the same thing to me.

After trying to discuss it with a previous physician, she refused and then stated, "Why are you being so difficult?"

The doctor said that she has a carnivore client who has awesome numbers.

Vague Terminology

Awesome numbers is a vague statement without any context. It has no meaning.

The determinate factor is knowing and understanding how to a Blood Lipid Profile.

The Fault of The Patient

The majority of individual want a simple, quick answer to a complex question. I am a former member of that club.

They only want to know if it okay or not.

Be Your Own Advocate

As someone once said, "Knowledge is power". Invest time in learning.

With that in mind, two individual who are knowledgeable on the Cholesterol Topic are...

Dave Feldman

Ivor Cummins

Both of these individual are engineers crunch numbers.

Understanding how to read the number and their relationship to each other is the primary factor; like your HDL Number, your Triglyceride Number, your Triglyceride:HDL Ratio and Remnant Cholesterol Number.

Trust Everyone and No One

This is something I have learned the hard way,

When something new that is counter to what you have learned is presented, don't believe it.

But don't stop there. Investigate, do you own research and come to your own conclusions.

In doing so, I have reverse my view on many thing in doing so.

sounds like you need a new doctor.
You're Right

I kind of have a new physician.

As a cost cutting measure, I was reassigned to a Physician's Assistant. Basically, me seeing a Physician's Assistant cost them less than me spending time with the Medical Doctor.

At this point, I am only able to see the Medical Doctor if something strange pops up on my blood profile. I am sure my Blood Lipid reading will be elevated, since I am on the Ketogenic Diet.

With that said, there's no point in making a appointment to see him when it lead to a heated cholesterol discussion.

I am happy with to a degree with the Physician's Assistant. She's easier to talk. She is easier to talk to and was familiar with Remnant Cholesterol, etc.

She still tended to have a somewhat similar view on cholesterol as the Medical Doctor.

However, she more open with discussing it.

@kennycro@@aol.com ,
if you don't mind my asking, what does your diet typically consist of? Where does the majority of your fat intake come from?

I intend to ask this nutritionist what she thinks of the ketogenic diet when I talk with her next week. Though I'm sure she will be asking me to do specific things to reduce the candida overgrowth they found.

So would I. Expecting that person to deadlift more than myself just limits the option quite badly. Not that I'm that great, a bit over 600lbs, but I'm not sure doctors are generally that fond of deadlifts.
My translation of Pavel's comment, Walk the Talk, Eat Your Own Cooking.
I have an excellent dentist. Have not been to a gp doc since mid 90's, no need.

So would I. Expecting that person to deadlift more than myself just limits the option quite badly. Not that I'm that great, a bit over 600lbs, but I'm not sure doctors are generally that fond of deadlifts.
I would consider a DL of 600 pretty great. Maybe you could get info from Dom D'Agostino, Ph.D, I believe he has a similar DL number.
SEALs trust him.

f you don't mind my asking, what does your diet typically consist of? Where does the majority of your fat intake come from?
Ketogenic Diet

1) Fat: 70% or more come from Fat.

2) Protein: 20-25% comes from Protein.

3) Carbohydrates: 50 gram of less is from Carbohydrates

That based on my calculations and recently confirmed by my nephew who is finishing up his Registered Dietitian program.

My Diet

1) Pre-Workout

Coffee with Coconut Oil and Medium Chain Triglycerides

2) Breakfast

a) Two Eggs: 12 gram of fat, 12 gram of protein.

2) 56 gram of Bacon Ends and Pieces...30 grams of fat, 5 grams of protein

3) Tablespoon of butter...10 gram of fat.

4) Cheese...8 grams of fat., 4 grams of protein.

5) 22 gram of Whey Protein mixed with Whipped Cream, 3 gram of fat. about 5 gram of carbohydrate from the Whey.f

6) A Tablespoon of Medium Chain Triglycerides and one of Avocado Oil; 28 gram of fat.

Lunch At Work

a) Two slice of cheese...6 gram of fat, 4 grams of protein.

b) Two slices of ham lunch meet, wrapped in the cheese...ham 10 grams of total protein, 2 total grams of fat

c) 12 gram of Whey Protein with 1.5 gram of Leucine, mixed with Whipped Cream and one tablespoon of Medium Chain Triglycerides...Total: 14 grams of protein, 17 grams of fat. about 3 grams of Carbohdyrate from the Whey.

Dinner

a) 140 gram of hamburger meat cooked in butter...about 31 gram of fat, 30 gram of protein.

b) Green Beans cooked in butter with Cheese...about 29 gram of fat, 4 grams of protein and 8 grams of carbohydrates.

3 ) One Tablespoon of Medium Chain Triglycerides and one of Avocado Oil...28 gram of fat.

4) Dessert: 15 gram of Chocolate Chips...4.5 gram of fat, 9 gram of carbohydrate, 1 gram of protein.

Mid Meal Snack Drink

If hungry between meal, I have about 4 oz of Diet Coke mixed with about three Tablespoons of Whipped Cream; a Cream Soda...that's about 9 grams of total fat and maybe 3 grams of protein.

I intend to ask this nutritionist what she thinks of the ketogenic diet when I talk with her next week.

What They Know and What They Think They Know

Based on the Registered Dietitians and "Nutritionist" that I have spoke with, most did not know that much about the Ketogenic Diet.

What little knowledge that possess is based on old out dated research. Rarely does any Registered Dietitian or "Nutritionist" have any practical experience.

One of The Exceptions

For the last nine years, I have hosted the non-profit, sanctioned Albuquerque Strength Clinic; the proceed going to the Jewish Community Center. What I primarily get out of it is Free Continuing Education Units for my Personal Training Certification.

In seeking out someone locally to speak on the Ketogenic Diet, the only Nutritionist that I have found that has expertise in this area is...

The University of New Mexico School of Medicine

This division of the School of Medicine specializes in working with children with Epilepsy. One of their primary focuses is the treatment of Epilepsy with the Ketogenic Diet.

In Albuquerque (a city of over 500,000) this is the only group of "Nutritionist" that I have found that has extensive knowledge with the Ketogenic Diet.

I also found a Medical Doctor in Albuquerque who specializes in the Ketogenic Diet, Mark H. Raterink, M.D.

I have made several attempt (in person, by email, by phone call) to get him to speak at the Albuquerque Strength Clinic but never had any reply. If that sound like I am pissed off about not getting a reply, that's right.

The Keto Gadgets

I have all of the Keto Gadgets...

1) Glucometer

This is a great tool.

2) Mojo Blood Ketone Meter

This is a good tool but it has some limitations. It provides more of a history of your ketones. It is somewhat like getting your A1C reading.

3) Ketonix Breath Ketone Meter

This is a great tool. It shows where you are in the precise movement: like a Glucometer that provide you with what your present blood sugar level is.

Reiterating of My Recommendation on The Ketogenic Diet

The restrictive nature of The Ketogenic Diet makes it hard for the majority of individual to maintain. The harder you make something, the less likely someone is to stick with it. Thus, I don't recommend it for most.

I maintain it due to a metabolic issue.

Intermittent Fasting

Intermittent Fasting is a sibling to the Ketogenic Diet. It provides some similar benefits.

There is nothing to count, fix, or measure. Just skip a meal ever now and then; something we have all done for some reason.

Last edited:
Any reason you're low on veggies? I have been mostly carnivore, so I'm not big on them either. Just curious.
Breakfast

What are breakfast vegetables?

I grew up with eggs, bacon, toast, milk and sometimes orange juice. So, I never associated vegetables with breakfast.

Lunch At Work

I don't punch a time clock. I work on a commission basis. The less time I spend on lunch, the more time I have to get my work done so I can go home early and not sit in traffic.

I take my lunch. I want something that is quick and easy to fix. Ham wrapped in cheese with a protein drink with MCT Oil and Whipped Cream take about 5 minutes to fix.

My lunch time is about 5 minutes; around 10 minutes if I someone is the break room and I get into a conversation with them.

Dinner

I like vegetables. For dinner, I either have green beans, a salad with ranch dressing, broccoli in butter with cheese. mixed vegetables cooked in butter, cauliflower rice, celery with cream cheese, asparagus in butter, etc. ...something like that is fast and easy; takes about 5 minutes to fix.

My wife sometimes fixes me some zucchini french fries make with almond flower, pizza with some vegetables on top, make with an almond crust, meat balls and spaghetti made with squash instead of pasta.

All of the items that my wife fixes is more work and time that I want to invest.

b) Two slices of ham lunch meet, wrapped in the cheese...ham 10 grams of total protein, 2 total grams of fat

Assuming you mean the kind of meat you buy in the supermarket that comes 'ready cooked'...you just take it out of the packet and eat it...

I was taught this stuff was to be avoided at all costs...I thought it counted as 'processed meat' and carries all kinds of health risks.

Would very much value your (and any other knowledgeable people) opinion on this?

It would replace some of the considerable amounts of tinned (canned) small fish that I currently consume, as I can't cook meat where I'm living (long story).

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom