all posts post new thread

Barbell The Naked Warrior + Barbell Training (5x5x5 or 3x5)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

bill calhoun

Level 1 Valued Member
I'm getting ready to start Pavel's audacious and awesome (yep, I'm dead serious...the guy's programs are epic).

I also just started Deadlifts (I stopped benches & dips as Pavel recommends we do not do those in conjunction with 1-arms), and his pull-up program.

My question:

1. Should I do the 5x5x5 (Mind over Muscle) or is it better (for recovery) to do "3 to 5" method?

Thanks comrades!

I'm not sure if I understand your question, are you combining NW + Barbell trg? Have you considered doing one program at a time and rotating between them?

If you're set on a combo, personally I'd go with the 3 to 5 from BB but cut down the number of exercises.

Can you clarify what Pavel said about not doing dips or bench? I don't recall this and sounds like it might be good to know!

Last edited:
Hi FatCop. Yep, I was doing NW and Deads, Benches, Squats. I'm obviousely overdoing it. Trying to get to too many places at once. I'll focus. Thanks for your observation and suggestion.

Here is the Q & A on page 186 of NW:

"Can I add more exercises to the Naked Wa r r i o r p r o g r a m ?

It’s best not to GTG with more than two unrelated exercises, but you may add other exercises that don’t overlap much with the pistol and the one-arm pushup. For instance, deadlifts or pullups are good and bench presses are not. Handstand pushups are marginal; they “smoke” many of the muscles
heavily involved in the one-arm pushup but in a very different plane. You might try them and see what happens.

To keep it simple, do your other strength exercises, with bodyweight or with iron, two to three times a week for 5x5. Just realize that the more you add to your daily training, the more likely you are to overtrain"

Bill,
It really comes down to what your goals are and how you want to allocate your resources. Staying fresh as possible is key with NW progressions. The OAOLPU will tax your CNS, similar to heavy deadlifts. In strength, less is often times more.

You could run NW GTG style throughout the week, listen to your body and rest as needed, and plug in the deadlifts every couple days if you are pulling around 60-80% your 1RM (singles are great), or more often if you are pulling light (20-40% 1RM, sets of 5 to upwards of 20). Let us know how it goes.

Thanks Jess. I'll take your advice and pepper my week with minimal rep/sets of my gym big 3 exercises. I'll keep you posted. "Staying fresh as possible", I like that.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom