all posts post new thread

The Obstacle is the Way (was S&S and PTTP)

Today’s practice

3 rds of 5 pry goblet squats, 3/3 halos & 5 prying pump stretch

4 series of 5/4 snatches with a 24 kg kb

5 ladders of 1-2-3 rungs - most with a 16kg kb press (but second ladder I did a 20kg), strict chin-ups & captains of crush 1.5

I introduced the 20kg - it wasn’t too difficult to press, but more difficult to stabilize. I can feel it a couple of hours later with my right shoulder.

I did some throws and swings between ladders - force rest and ball starts tomorrow.

Finished off with coach Wade’s trifecta.

Today’s practice

3 rds of 5 pry goblet squats, 3/3 halos & 5 prying pump stretch

4 series of 5/4 snatches with a 24 kg kb

5 ladders of 1-2-3-4 rungs - kb press, strict chin-ups & captains of crush 1.5
  • Press was 16kg, but used the 20kg for the first 3 rungs of the second ladder
  • Chin-ups were bodyweight, except hung an 8kg kb on my foot for all rungs of the second ladder.
2 rds of 60 meter farmers walk with 40 & 48 kg kbs (we only have one 48 so I go asymmetrical) & 2/2 getups to post with16kg kb

Finished off with 2 rds of 3/3 side kick thrus, crab reaches & hanging monkey turns

I’ve gotten busy and quit logging my practice. But I have been consistently practicing. M-W-F have be rites of passage - 16kg kb press, strict pull-ups & captains of crush 1.5 to force rest. By the book here - light, moderate & heavy. My torn-up shoulders are liking it. I don’t worry about adding to the press - it will happen when I own 16. The pull-ups are ready for additional weight.

Then I do quick & the dead 5/4 protocol snatches. Once again - by the book except I alternate arms every 5 reps. I’m focused on shoulder rehab and perfect reps. I had to drop the weight from 24kg to 20. I found that pain in the right shoulder caused me to cut the top off - ending with my arm in front of my ear and the bell then dropped instead of swung down. 20kg doesn’t hurt. I can do technically sound reps.

Then I deadlift - by Pavel’s article. 3-5 reps on days I do less than four series of snatches. In the last three weeks I’ve gone as heavy as 415, but most days stop between 355 and 385.

This practice has been good. Tuesday and Thursday I play ball. I also work on karate on off days - try to get that looseness back.

I love this concept. At one month shy of 65 I have to since power and speed are impacted by age so much.

In the book “Sting like a bee” Jose Torres recounted talking to Cus D’Amato who had worked briefly with Mohammed Ali. I’m going by memory here, but as I recall D’Amato demonstrated some combinations that had Ali amazed by the aging trainers speed. But D’Amato told Torres it wasn’t speed to which Torres interjected ‘it’s timing’. Cus grinned and said something like “well - you know!” Torres was also a champion boxer who had been trained by D’Amato.

So - what does this have to do with rites of passage? Both McGregor and D’Amato are talking about punching. But to me the principle applies to power moves such as the snatch. I’m trying to be precise and work on timing. Also works for my baseball swing. Precision and timing.

The practice continues - rite of passage M-W-F, without fail. What has changed is I’ve taken to doing it by the book.

SuperJoints as a warmup.
RoP with pull-ups included. I continue to work on using a 20kg bell for presses, which are still done ‘top-down’ - snatch and then do the rung. But most rungs are done with the 16kg bell. Pull-ups are mostly working with bodyweight, but I’ve been adding a 12kg bell on the second ladder. I can do 4 strict with the additional weight, but not the 5th rung.

Conditioning is now done as prescribed in RoP. I’ve dropped deadlifts for the summer as I feel they tighten up my hips and affect my baseball swing. Since I play on T-Th the large day is done on Friday. Works good.

I look forward to completing the renovation in the next couple of weeks. I’ll add more movement on variety day then. Including pistols and one-arm one-leg push-up progressions from Naked Warrior. But right now variety days are ball and SuperJoints.

Back
Top Bottom